“elegant fare”
Review of Caveau

Caveau
Reserve with
Caveau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 431 Restaurants in Wollongong
Cuisines: Asian, French, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“elegant fare”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This restaurant has a chef's hat in the good food guide which is why we chose it for our overnight stay in Wollongong. It lived up to expectations with a delicious, varied menu, a great Australian wine list and a high level of service providing a well paced meal.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank jennifer s

Wollongong, Australia
“Could not add to a wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We had a wonderful evening at Caveau celebrating our wedding anniversary. I had the vegan degustation and my husband the standard degustation (although the word standard really should not be used in a sentence describing Caveau). Each dish was meticulously presented with the highest quality produce with amazing flavour combinations with each forkful. We could not come up with anything we would change across the 14 dishes that we together experienced in this degustation menu. In particular I am so grateful for being able to experience the creativity I did in the vegan menu - a wonderful change from what most would serve for vegans and a real celebration of the beautiful produce that we have.

The service was friendly and efficient and the restaurant atmosphere really pleasant. A wonderful evening - we will not be waiting for another anniversary to be back. Thank you to the Caveau team. You have definitely been a talking point amongst our friends and particularly those in Sydney where we have been raving of the delightful restaurant that is in our backyard. You would make Wollongong a destination point for many.

3 Thank Carolynbb
Wollongong, Australia
“Horrible and rude customer service”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Was planning on having an intimate wedding celebration at Caveau (19pax) but I am still in disbelief over how rudely I was treated by staff and Nicola, the bookings manager. I found them to be condescending, unapologetic and dismissive after I had arrived at the premises to finalise my booking arrangements (within a time frame suggested by Nicola herself), only to find the office uncontactable (I was also blatantly ignored by the staff within the restaurant as I was trying to alert them to the situation).

I am a frequent patron of hatted restaurants in Sydney and am happy to pay a premium for quality food and service but, in return, I expect excellent, professional or, as a very minimum, polite service from the staff (after all, our meal would have cost us close to $3000). However, I found Caveau to be greatly lacking in it's attitude towards its customers. The food may be decent (I will not be trying it) but the service leaves MUCH to be desired

27 Thank Hayley R
Nj2ns, Owner at Caveau, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Wow! All this vitriole from a lady who has never been a customer! Some people just blow my mind. When someone stops by without an appointment or any forewarning outside of our opening hours and there is no one there rational people might suppose a simple apology might be acceptable (or an even more rational response might be to say "oh dear I really should have phoned ahead"). But this isn't a rant from a rational person, but from a highly strung Bridezilla who we are very grateful not to have to serve.
Sydney, Australia
“Game on!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We went back to Caveau for the "Game Degustation" last Friday night and were so impressed. The meal was superb and included a gorgeous squab and quail terrine, roasted free range goose and the most tender venison we've eaten. The meal was finished with a fabulous chestnut mont blanc with pear sorbet and honeycomb. The generous 7 course degustation plus an amuse and a glass of champagne (the real stuff) was fantastic value at $120 p.p.

The service was prompt and friendly with each course explained on presentation. We didn't have matching wines but started with a glass of white each, then shared a lovely bottle of pinot noir from the Geelong area, recommended by the staff.

The ambience of the restaurant has improved since our last visit with a significant makeover of the dining rooms. Modern grey walls highlighted by funky lights made from bottles, fun spotted chairs and a gleaming new bar give a classy and intimate feel.

If you want a really great meal in Wollongong there is only one place to eat and that is Caveau. We hope to return soon.

2 Thank Teamcruising
Bringabitapotalong
“Superb meal BUT”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This was a fabulous dining experience. We also indulged with the degustation. We were celebrating a special occasion and the meal was everything we had heard or expected and more. Fab wine pairing too. Very nice French wines to start and some good Aussie reds as well. BUT some special touch was missing ?? I can't quite put my finger on what exactly the missing ingredient is as the service was good, not great a tad too professional not attentive perhaps. I have heard that this fine establishment is "hatted" I would say more beret than those wacko chef's hats !!

Visited June 2014