“lovely stay”

Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed here for one night, using our complimentary night with the Accor Card. We were offered an upgrade room when we arrived, but didn't accept. We stayed in a standard room on the 10th floor and after having a poor experience with another Novotel (overseas), we were pleasantly surprised by the standard room.

The room was very comfortable, the decor was fresh and seemed newly refurbed and we had a great night's sleep. The bed was excellent, pillows and doona fresh and new.

Staff at check in and check out were great.

We did our research and booked at a local restaurant, Aqua, for dinner which we really enjoyed. Do your research before coming - there are plenty of good local restaurants.

We would definitely recommend the Novotel Wollongong.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear Dunk606,
Thank you for your kind review of Novotel Wollongong Northbeach following your recent stay. I will ensure your comments are passed on to all departments.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!
Mittagong, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2010

A great place if you are looking for a beach and city holiday. We had problems with the bedding when we went to retire. The staff were prompt and courteous in rectifying the problem. If you are staying on a Thursday evening visit the downstairs beachfront bar for a cheap and casual "Curry in a Hurry". When we visited the fare was a delicious chicken curry and a beer or wine for $10 and more than satisfied our needs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Dear TravellerTrev,
Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the ‘Curry in a Hurry’ in our Beach Bar!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
albury,nsw
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We were really expecting something nice for the four of us, 2 adults a 13 and 12 year old but the moment I stepped into the room I knew I had made a mistake!.
The location was great, across from the beach and only a 15 minute walk into the city. We paid $239.00 a night for a one room (double beds x 2), no balcony. Our view was of the old roof and air conditioning unit below us several floors down. We did see some ocean over the dirty roof though ..
No free movies from austar, they were $15.00 a movie to watch, so we did not have anything for the kids to watch while stuck in a small room.
The bathroom had mold around it where it not been cleaned properly and definitely needed updating.
The drinks from the bar downstairs were expensive as was dinner and breakfast, so we went out to eat, The pool was freezing cold and I thought the whole place lacked atmosphere and warmth.Definitely not family friendly and not worth the money, I would not recommend it, $239.00 is probably nothing to them but we had to save to stay there and I am thankful that we reduced our stay before leaving as I could not have stayed another night copped up with no balcony to walk out to or movies for the children to watch. Louise
I expected a nice beach front view and we were shocked that one of the staff were going to charge us $4.00 for a small jug of milk. The lobby was nice, there was a restaurant provided and shops. not a 4 star hotel anymore,Sarah

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank weasle15
Dear weasle15,
Thank you for your review of Novotel Wollongong Northbeach following your recent stay.
We value all feedback, and take negative feedback, very seriously.
In regards to your accommodation room, over half of the rooms in the hotel have ocean views and balconies. The specific room type that you are after needs to be booked at the time of reservation. The room you booked would have been one of our Residential View rooms and these rooms do not have ocean views or balconies.
Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the bathroom has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeper - thank you for bringing this to our attention.
The $14.95 per movie charge is consistent with all 4 ½ star hotels. However, as we are a very family friendly hotel, we also have a fantastic in-house movie deal on offer which is $24.95 for 24 hours.
Weasle15, I hope we can turn your opinion of our property around by addressing these issues that you have highlighted and do hope to welcome you back in the future.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2010

I had a weekend getaway and managed to find a standard room. I've had drinks here before and it was nothing special. However, the service was on and off in different areas of the hotel. The Front Desk staff were fantastic, housekeeping friendly but the F&B staff were a little hit and miss. They were not horrible but compared to the aforementioned departments, there is small improvement needed. Windjammers looked like a cheap cafeteria and the buffet looked nothing special. The oysters were not very appealling but the rest of the food on offer was actually not bad. I actually didn't mind dining there for breakfast and dinner. Room service was OK- good value for money.
The lobby bar was good and had nice cocktails. However, the staff seemed a little run off their feet, which affected service. Again, not a bad thing as you could tell they were going as fast as they could with lots of people lining up to take orders.
The room was good- the bathroom needed a little bit of renovation but nothing was broken. The Air con was a bit noisy but we found it bearable to turn it off so we could sleep. The layout was spacious and more than enough for 2 people.
The lobby looked very casual- but you get that for a Novotel. Lots of people were walking about barefoot or wrapped in towels because you needed to go to the lobby to get pool towels as well as dropping them off in the chute. The hotel has a gym, jacuzzi, sauna and outdoor pool (which advertised as heated but was ice cold!). As long as there are not many people using these areas, it is actually quite enjoyable.
The hotel is literally across the road from North Beach where you can take a walking track, swim or take a shuttle bus to town. There is always something to do in or out of the hotel. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely come back.

Dear ferg-addict,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Novotel Wollongong Northbeach following your recent stay.
We value all feedback and your comments regarding the bathroom and Windjammers have been passed on to the relevant Department Managers for appropriate action. In regards to the swimming pool, the temperature is set on 21 degrees throughout this time of the year. We will be reviewing this based on your comments. Thank you for the feedback regarding the service from our staff, as well as the comments regarding our location.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Wollongong.
sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I dont know how anyone can write a negative review about this lovely hotel. I think the people who write anything negative should check out the other hotels in Wollongong as this hotel is by far the best one. From the front desk to the beautiful room with great views. I was very happy. There are only two negatives. Firstly we had dinner at Windjammers and when I booked they asked me if it was a special occasion and I said actually it was our anniversary a few days ago so they said they will surprise my husband with a little dessert saying Happy Anniversary guess what it never happened. The second thing I had the Do not disturb sign out and the next morning the mini bar guy still knocked on my door which I hated. Saying that I would still happily stay there again

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
Dear kodySydney,
Thank you for your recent review of Novotel Wollongong.
It is really nice to read your comments regarding our ‘lovely hotel’! We agree that our location is beautiful and are very glad you enjoyed your stay. In regards to your negative comments; I have passed your feedback on to our Restaurant Manager for the missed dessert (although we do hope you enjoyed your meal) and I have also spoken with our Food and Beverage Manager, who assures me that the training of the Mini Bar staff will be reviewed.
Thank you again for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We stayed at the Novotel Northbeach over the weekend. Here is the good: The location of the hotel is excellent, right on the beach - near cafe and restaurants. We stayed in room 803 which was spacious and had a direct water view. The bed was comfortable - which is important to me. The staff seemed friendly and efficient

Here is the bad: The whole hotel is really outdated. It is in desperate need of a renovation and is not the quality I expect with the Novotel brand. Our bathroom had grime marks in the bathtub. I would not have liked to have a soak in that tub! We ordered a light dinner and breakfast from room-service and both were a disaster. The light dinner had smoked salmon as part of it, and the salmon looked past its due date with discolored and crusty edges. (We didn't eat it!) The breakfast was even worse! The toast was BURNT and not buttered and the eggs were cold. Completely unacceptable.

We got a special rate for the hotel because they were running a promotion for the Gong. For the price we paid, I think it was OK. I would not have been happy if I paid full rate.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MeganBruton
Dear MLBruton,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Novotel Wollongong. We appreciate your feedback.
Thank you for comments regarding our staff, we do pride ourselves on customer service to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay.
Your suggestion about a renovation has been given to our management team for review and I have forwarded your comments on to our Executive Chef regarding your dining experiences.
We do hope to welcome you back to Novotel Wollongong!