“Exceptionally friendly reception, exceptionally clean rooms, best beds and amazing pillows”

Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Over the last 15 months my work has meant I have stayed in a lot of hotels and motels all over Australia. One of the best has to be the Novotel Wollongong. The room I had overlooked the beach so the view was great, the bed was really comfortable and the pillow on the bed was a cut above standard. The standards in housekeeping in the rooms is exceptionally high.

Reception Desk was friendly and efficient. Car parking was easy to access and felt secure.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2010

Dear sueShellharbour
Thank you for your kind review of Novotel Wollongong following a recent stay,
I will ensure that your comments are forward to our team, especially in our Hosekeeping department.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Wollongong,
Director of Sales & Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Stayed at the Novotel Wollongong for 1 night. Check in was fast, no probs. My son even got a stuffed animal toy on arrival which I thought was very nice, so set the holiday off to a good start. We stayed in a Standard Room with city view. The room cost $239 which was booked on last minute.com but is also the same price I was quoted from the main desk. I think was a bit rich but theres not much to choose from in Wollongong and I wanted to spoil myself. The room was fine. Had everything you needed but dont know if it was worth the $239 especially since its in winter & it didn't look to be packed out or anything. The hotel also has an outdoor pool which we didn't swim in as it was too cold. It is heated but not bath warm temperature so most of our time was spent in the spa which is in a room next to the pool. We ordered room service once which was delivered quickly and watched an inhouse movie. Mini Bar was a bit expensive but what hotel isn't - its there for conveneience and you pay for it. Had to pay for parking downstairs which was $15 and I didnt expect but what can you do, I wasn't going to park on the street.
The hotel is in a great location right on the beach and the beach is just beautiful. My son spent most of the day looking around the many rockpools and running on the beach. Would I stay here again - yes - but would love to have an ocean view room next time though.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Dear holidayjoSydney
Thank you for your review of Novotel Wollongong following a recent stay.
We value all feedback, as it allows us to reflect on the services and facilities we offer our guests. Your comments regarding our pricing will be taken on-board, however, the price you paid was consistent for a Saturday Night stay. At Accor Hotels, we also offer "rate parity" across all our booking streams to ensure consistency.
Thank you for the feedback regarding the service from our staff, as well as the comments regarding our location.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Wollongong.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for my brothers wedding. Generally it was a very positve experience. The hotel itself is very nice with a massive foyer containing check in, bathrooms and a bar/cafe which is open all day serving snacks and brilliant (and potent!) cocktails.
The room was spacious with an enormous bathroom and separate bath and shower. Not much of a view but we could glipse the sea which is literally across the road. The higher rooms of course have a better view. Staff were very friendly and helpful, especially when we asked the check in early to prepare for the wedding.

Small gripes: we were able to check in slightly early but we had to keep returning to check in to see if our room was ready. We had requested an early check in when we booked and were told it would be fine but when we got there the room wasn't ready so we had to rush to get ready.

Giant cockroach in the bathroom! Considering it was the only one I saw in Oz it's a bit ironic that it would be in quite a nice hotel!

No mat on the bathroom floor. I slipped getting out of the shower and hurt myself quite badly.

On the plus side the bed was very comfortable, room was nicely air conditioned and we were free to sit in the foyer bar all day (a huge group of us) with no interference. The hotel is very child friendly with the kids allowed to run about (but not interfering with other guests I should stress). Very casual but professional and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2010

Dear Numptyheid
Thank you for your review of Novotel Wollongong following your recent stay with us. Thank you also, for the kind comments regarding facilities and staff of our hotel.
Regarding your "gripes", thank you for bringing these to our attention;
- Whilst our advertised check-in time is 2.00pm, we do endeavour to assist those guests that require an earlier check-in, however, we cannot do this on all occasions.
- Your comment regarding a cockroach has been forwarded to our Executive Housekeeper. We do regular pest controls on all levels of the hotel at differing times.
- Regarding your fall, whilst we do provide a bath mat as part of our bathroom set-up, I do hope that your injury was not too severe.
Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Wollongong.

Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was on a business trip and stayed there for 3 nights.
The rooms is spacious, but not very clean. The bathrooms doors had mould or something growing, the toilet roll had an awful brown lines on the side. I put this roll on the floor hoping that they will dispose it. In the morning there was a big cockroach on the floor.
The staff cleaned the "murder mess", but left the toilet roll (i guess that brown line was from the previous cockroach somebody killed before me).
So, keep you bags closed in case you do not want to bring cockroaches back to your home.

Location is great, right near the beach. Lots of nice seafood.
Probably will not recommend to my friend, because would prefer a cleaner place. I hate roaches.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
NovotelWollongong, Director of Sales at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2010

Dear Ingelina
Thank you for your feedback regarding a recent stay at Novotel Wollongong.
Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeper - thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Being a seaside property, dealing with pests is always a problem. Novotel Wollongong has a pest control programme in place - we have a contractor do regular checks throughout the year. Again, this issue has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeper, who will review with the contractor.
Ingelina, I hope we can turn your opinion of our property around by addressing these issues that you have highlighted.

Reviewed April 27, 2010

This hotel is in an awesome location overlooking North Wollongong beach with lots of cafes and restaurants nearby. We found it a shame that the rooms didn't meet our expectations. We were expecting ultra modern rooms but they were not. This place really need a refurbishment to make it a place that I would stay again.

I think that whilst some areas in the hotel are okay like the lobby area, but there are other parts that need to be updated. We didn't really eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the food but you won't be short of places to eat within walking distance.

Overall we found the staff to be polite and helpful and Wollongong is a great place to visit with lots of beautiful beaches and nice scenery. We will definitely stay in Wollongong again but will look at one of the other options next time we stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
NovotelWollongong, Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Dear Sydneysider
Thank you for your review of Novotel Wollongong Northbeach following a recent stay.
We value all feedback, and take negative feedback, such as comments on our accommodation rooms very seriously. This will be sent to our senior executive for review.
I agree with you that our location is great, and it is a shame that you did not utilise our Windjammers Restaurant, as we believe that this offers a greatdining experience whilst taking in the views of our coastline.
Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope we can entice you back to Novotel Wollongong again.

Reviewed April 17, 2010

The Wollongong Novotel is in an excellent location right across from the beach, and six blocks from the CBD. The hotel itself is looking a bit run down and could do with an upgrade to the public areas like corridors. The room itself was fine, nothing extraordinary, but comfortable enough. They charged $15 a day for the basement carpark, which is just gouging, given this regional city location.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
NovotelWollongong, Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2010

Dear Schnapper
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Novotel Wollongong.
Your comments regarding the public areas and accommodation rooms has been forwarded to management for review with our owners.
Charged car parking is consistent with our competitors in other regional areas of NSW, and ensures parking is available for those guests staying and using the hotel's facilities.
Again, thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed here recently for one night on a business trip. My room was quite spacious for two people to move around and included a sofa, coffee table and a desk. The living room decor was quite modern and had obviously been updated since I last stayed there 15 years ago! The bathroom was relatively large and had plenty of towels. Only downside to the room was that my pillow had a faint smell of smoke, but the bed itself was quite comfortable. View wasn't too bad - distant water views, but some of my colleagues complained they were overlooking a roof area which was quite drab.

I ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and lunch (buffet style). It was ok, nothing flash and certainly not worth the money if you were paying full price for it ($30 for breakfast and $39 for week-day lunch). Everything was edible, just not that inspiring.

Had a drink in the bar after dinner elsewhere - it was nice to sit outside on a warm evening. Strange that they were closing the bar at midnight when there must have been at least 30 people still in the bar.

I went to have a swim in the pool at about 1730 and found it deserted, most likely because it was in the shade and really windy. Weird then that I walked across the road to the beach (the direction the wind was coming from) and had a really great swim with no discernible wind. Had another beach swim in the morning and it was also great.

Overall, not a bad place to stay if you want to spend some time at the beach and the nearby park (heaps of people exercising).

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
NovotelWollongong, Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2010

Dear Kirradom

Thank you for comments made regarding a recent stay at Novotel Wollongong. I am glad that you found the experience a pleasant one.

Your comments regarding dining for breakfast and lunch in our Windjammers Restaurant, as well as the closing time of our Lobby Bar have been forwarded onto the relevant departments for review, in order to enhance future guests' experiences.

We are blessed to be opposite one of the most popular beaches on the NSW South Coast, North Wollongong Beach, which also happens to be the only beach in this area patrolled all year.

Thank you for your review of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again.