“Excellent stay at Novotel”

Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed June 24, 2008

We stayed in the Novotel in an ocean view room on the night of our wedding after having our reception in the function rooms. The accomodation was lovely, very clean, gorgeous view and balcony, very spacious room and the service was very nice. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,999)

Reviewed May 31, 2008

I stayed here for two nights as it was the venue for a conference I was attending. It is the fourth time I have been here on business during the past couple of years.

On each occasion I have left my curtains open so that I can watch the sun rise over the ocean, this is magic. The rooms I've been allocated must have been refurbished in the last couple of years as they have had modern furnishings and appear in good order. As one who travels with lots of chargers I was pleased to find that the desk area had four power outlets. The bed was supremely comfortable and made up with triple sheeting. Unfortunately the aircon didn't seem to be cold enough even though I had it down to 5 degrees. I could imagine the northerly facing rooms being a trifle uncomfortable in summer. The rooms with a balcony are preferable to those with only windows as the windows have been sealed so that one cannot take advantage of the beautiful sea breezes. There is a number of rooms without an ocean view - the absence of an ocean view would detract from the amenity of these rooms.

The desk staff were very friendly and helpful. At checkin the female concierge nabbed my two little bags and escorted me to my room, running off before I had time to dig into my wallet for some change to tip her.

The meals served during our function were attractively presented, varied and quite palatable. Breakfast in the newly refurbished restaurant was more than adequate, my only gripe is that the scrambled egg was very gluggy on both mornings.

With a swimming pool, tennis court and beachside location this hotel would be most suitable for a short family getaway or romantic interlude.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank GeniAus
Reviewed February 15, 2008

Excellent food ,excellent service by Petin and the girls we have been staying there for over 11 years and we will be bac..................

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I'm not sure if many tourists come to Northbeach Wollongong for a holiday. My wife and I stayed here because we had a business function to attend. At AUD209.00 for a beach-view room, we felt that the value for money was acceptable.

Physically, the hotel does the job. It didn't particularly 'wow' us, but it didn't disappoint either. The room was very clean. It had a good view. Parking was easy and free of charge. The lobby bar, reception and cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. We had no complaints. The lobby men's toilet was unfortunately soiled by what must have been a very ill guest or visitor, but we told the staff about it and they took care of it.

We did not try the restaurant, as we felt that the independent cafes on the beachfront were better value.

Beware the rather sad 'slot machine/pokie machine' room in the foyer shopping area. It lent a depressing note to an otherwise good atmosphere near the beach.

To sum up, the hotel is ok. In fact, when one compares it to what else is on offer in this city, it's probably one of the better ones, particularly it's beachside location.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank CarbonOffset
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Was impressed by the location and ocean view. Returned to the room after dinner and there was a large swarm of moths flying around (in addition to some which were already dead on the floor), called the concierge immediately. First, they acted surprised that there were moths, and then they admitted that it was the migration season of moths. They tried to find another room, but somehow all the rooms they suggested had some amount of moths in it, found out later that other rooms had even worse situations - in one room the moths were covering the entire backside of the curtains. The front desk even made the statement that if not for the moths they would charge more for the room.

Have stayed with Novotel in several locations (Paris, Canada); the service of this hotel was terrible and very disappointing. First, they were dishonest to the customer and did not disclose this issue nor any warnings when we checked in. They did slip a note under the door apologizing for having removed the balcony furniture due to the strong winds - you would think that the moths issue is much more serious than missing some balcony furniture. Lastly, they were extremely rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank christine h
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My husband and I decided to stay at the Novotel Northbeach for a mini break. Whilst there was nothing particulary wrong with the hotel, it was just a bland unexceptional stay. I wholly concur with Alan Kay in his June 5, 2007 review. Firstly, the location and views are wonderful and the hotel is about a 15 min walk into town. Our checkin was very brisk - not excactly unfriendly, but no smiles either. We had booked an Ocean View Room and they put us in an Ocean View Balcony room for the same price. The parking (free) is below the hotel and we found it very crowded with cars and tight to manouvre around. Also there are quite a few very low headroom areas. Our room was on the 7th floor with lovely views. We could have done without the balcony, as they are not at all private and don't invite you to sit out on. They are just one giant long balcony along all rooms with just a metal grilled fence in between rooms. The room was spacious and modern but with bland furniture - exactly the same as Novotel's we have stayed at in Glasgow and Brussels! The bathroom was also spacious and I think recently re-tiled. At first I couldn't turn on the room lights, but then figured out I had to find a master switch beside the bed. The television is a small old crt tv which you would think should be upgraded to a flat screen considering the hotel rates itself as 4 star. The pool of the hotel is in a back corner which you gain entrance with your room pass. We didn't use it as it wasn't exactly enticing and definitely not resort style. We decided not to eat in the hotel on the Saturday night as there was only a 'Seafood Extravaganza' available for $65. I don't eat seafood and I think it poor that there is no alacarte alternative for guests. On the Saturday night we retired to our room around 10pm but could hear extremely loud music coming up from the lobby lounge bar (which by the way was very crowded and so loud you couldn't sit in for a quiet drink). Luckily this finished by midnight. The night we stayed there were about 4 separate wedding parties going on, but luckily they didn't cause any trouble - except that they 'took over' all the public seating/bar area. On the Sunday morning we deciced to have room service for breakfast by hanging our choice on the door the night before. It turned up on time and was very generous in it's serving sizes and you couldn't complain about the quality of the food. At $31 it wasn't cheap though. We had to checkout by 11am on the Sunday morning, but at 10.45 housekeeping were knocking on our door asking when we were leaving! Upon reaching the reception area downstairs there was a queue of about 10 people waiting to checkout. Never anywhere in the world have we had to queue to checkout! All in all, there was nothing wrong with our stay, but the hotel is extremely overpriced for what it is, charging what some city hotels in Sydney charge. I assume it's because it is the only beachfront hotel in Wollongong.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Oz-Amanda
Reviewed August 24, 2007

I stayed at the Novotel for one night for a work retreat.

The location was great - right on the beach.

Our room was very tired looking. The bathroom was clean but the room itself could have been a bit cleaner. It was a bit noisy as it faced a busy intersection. However, we saw a room of other colleagues facing the beach - a much better room.

The service was fine, nothing to complain about. Breakfast buffet was great.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Cucques
HotelWollongong, General Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2007

5 September 2007

Thankyou for taking the time to offer us your feedback in relation to your recent stay at The Novotel Northbeach.

Feedback from our guests is highly valued as we believe it is the only way we can continue to maintain and improve our standard of service.

I am disappointed that some aspects of your recent stay did not live up to expectations and thank you for bringing this to my attention. We do aim to offer the highest standard of service to all of our guests and I extend my personal apologies for any disappointment you experienced.

Your support is important to us and we would hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to enjoy the true Novotel Northbeach experience.

Yours sincerely