“I love the Jamberoo deal”

Novotel Wollongong Northbeach
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,999)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
NovotelWollongong, Front Office Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having grown up in Wollongong, I always wanted to stay at The North Beach International Motel, now Novotel. I've been there for a hen's night and a wedding way back in the late 80's and early 90's and back then I thought it was quite 'posh'. It was 'pink' then as well (no kidding) Sound old don't I? Fast forward 20/30 years and of course on a visit to 'the Gong' where else would I like to stay but the 'North Beach International' or Novotel as it is known today. Not only is it no longer 'pink' but unfortunately not quite as 'posh' as I originally thought. The only thing that the Novotel has going for it today is the fact that it is in an awesome position. We only had a view of the roof (and it was pretty unattractive) but I guess that doesn't matter if you spend every day at the beach. It IS literally only just across the road. I'm a 'South Beach' girl myself (now called 'City Beach') but North Beach has really improved since I was a teenager. The best surprise I had was that the shower/toilet block at the beach now shares it's space with a great Italian restaurant who make the best Black Truffle Paste Pizza I have EVER TASTED! I wish I could remember the name of the place so I could write a review for it on Trip Advisor. So in conclusion if you want to stay as close to the beach as possible then Novotel North Wollongong is the place. The lounge area is comfortable and a popular place to 'go out' for the youth of the Gong but if you have a room like we did for three. It is very small and stifling. Also I personally found the staff at the desk on Check In, to be too busy to be helpful. Novotel North Beach seems to be a popular place to stay in Wollongong but I feel it is a little under staffed and needs a bit of a re- vamp of the rooms. Maybe it is still very popular because of the lack of competition in the area. So really if anyone is looking to get into the Motel business, now is the time to offer a bit of healthy competition to the slightly apathetic attitude of the staff at The Novotel North Beach.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a beach view room with a balcony, even though the balconies are small and still over...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gozziestravels

Thank you gozziestravels for your review,

It is always great to have a Wollongong local come back to stay with us.
Going back many years the then North Beach International was different hotel. Since then there have been many renovations added to the building, and being a beach front property in Wollongong we now offer for a resort style hotel for our travelers. This is not to say that the service and product we offer has at all diminished. We really do aim to provide the best possible service for our guests; it is unfortunate that the front was very busy and unable to provide our usual standard of service. For that please accept my apologies on behalf of the Novotel.

Here at the Novotel we offer an array of rooms with fantastic features and view. Many of our rooms have balconies and all of our suites are very spacious and come with spa baths as well. It appears you stayed in one of our standard rooms which look towards the city of Wollongong however I hope you can experience a room with a view of the water on your next stay with us.

Kind regards,

Oran Barraclough
Front Office Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Novotel Wollongong represents a basic affordable package for families who plan to have a quick getaway .
This hotel offers lovely customer service but it's facilities now have fallen behind the majority of it's competitors.
In it's current guise , the Novotel Wollongong has reached it's used by date.
I believe most young families today would be prepared to pay just that little extra for a superior product .

Reviewed January 10, 2013

2  Thank Louisa M
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel from the outside looked very old. Needs an update aswell as the rooms. The bathrooms are from the 70s or 80s and the sofa bed was terrible painful. We ordered room service and the food was minimal at high prices. Tried telling the receptionist about our experience and we could see about her expression that she didnt care. Tv signal was poor. Shower was appalling. The overhead vent above it was hitting my head and it looked like it had not been cleaned for years. Stayed at other hotels cheaper which were better but there was one thing that stood out, the spectacular view and the peacefulness of the late night ocean sounds. Overall excellent views. Hotel needed an update and at its current state, not worth it!!!! Not writing this to embarrass or humiliate, just to give my opinion on what improvements should be added.

1  Thank Michael P
NovotelWollongong, Front Office Manager at Novotel Wollongong Northbeach, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

I am sorry to see that you found your stay disappointing, please accept my apologies on behalf of the Novotel.

What concerns me most of all is the lack of response you received when reporting the problems. I believe we do offer a very good product that the large majority of our guests enjoy & keep coming back for. It is a shame nothing was done to better your stay. If you would be willing to contact me on the below details, I would be happy to see what we could do for you on a future stay. I am confident that your experience was an exception to the average stay (met with some isolated problems e.g. the TV not working properly) & I am sure we can do better for your the next time round.

Thank you again for your feedback & I hope we can welcome you back for a proper Novotel experience in the near future.

Kind regards,