“Great Accomodation except for one receptionist that we dealt with.”

Quality Suites Pioneer Sands
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
“Great Accomodation except for one receptionist that we dealt with.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a great hotel at a reasonable price, considering that the kitchen is equipped with eating and cooking utensils..and rooms are very spacious. Only a short drive to the beaches, parks and restaurants.
I only gave it 2 stars for the overall rating because when we stayed there over the easter weekend ( she was working for both days), from the time we called before arriving, the customer service was just inadequately poor.
I called the hotel before arriving to inquire if we can have an early check-in ( we were told by another receptionist a few days before that we can jusy call them if the room will be ready early, which was not a problem in any hotel we stayed in before) and a receptionist named Alicia was the one on the desk at that time. We were told that the check-in time was 2pm. I explained that I was told by somebody before to just call before arriving and check if our room is ready. She still insisted that 2pm is the check in time, without even bothering to check my name and the room. I asked her if she would like to get my name and at least check the room. She did it anyway and told us that the room was not yet ready and informed us that we can drop by in the hotel earlier for us to be able to do the paperworks. We arrived at 12:45 pm and went to the hotel as told. Upon arriving my husband filled up the paperworks and was told by Alicia that they will just give us a call once the room is ready. So we drove around with the kids and ate some lunch. We came back to the hotel at 1:50 pm. Once we arrived there, she told us that the room was just ready now and asked my husband again for his last name.When we asked why she didn't give us a call, she said that it's 10 min. still before 2pm. What's the use of getting our number then? The following day, when we got home late in the afternoon, our keycards were not working anymore. When we went to the front desk ( thank God it was not her anymore!), we were told that the key was registered for one night only by Alicia the day prior. Anyway the other receptionists (easter sunday afternoon and monday morning), was very easygoing and everything just felt like a breeze and not too many dramas.
I guess the guests would appreciate it more if the customer service is professional throughout coz it only takes one person to ruin a good name for a company. Would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again for the convenience, amenities and comfort...but would rather look somewhere else if I have to deal with a very stressful receptionist. Vacation is all about relaxing and it also takes only one person to ruin it. I usually don't make time to write reviews especially the bad ones. Just so, it don't happen to other people as well.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank April2312

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay here and as usual was great. The room we were in was fully equipped which is great when you are travelling with kids. All nice and clean and great looking. Great view and underground parking which is good. The only downside was the little UHF milks. If only they could put the little cartons of fresh milk. We use 3 little tubs of UHF per cup and its still not enough and doesn't taste nice. And disappointed there were no complimentary biccies for our cuppa. But we'll definitely come back, with our own milk :)

• Stayed March 2013
QualitySuites1, General Manager at Quality Suites Pioneer Sands, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Mellie860,
It’s great to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us and thank you for posting your comments. The majority of our rooms are equipped with full kitchens with basic kitchen utensils, which, as you said makes it easier when travelling with children to prepare meals.
I have noted your disappointment with the UHF milk tubs which we provide. We are classed as a self catering accommodation therefore we provide the essentials for guests. Next time you stay you could purchase fresh milk from our cafe which may provide more convenience.
We hope to see you again soon.

Griffith, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As usual this establishment is always my choice when staying in Wollongong. I love it here & the management & staff are the best. I always feel like I am at home when I stay here. Only problem is that now I travel on my own I find that the increased prices are becoming out of my reach. I am quite upset as this is a wonderful place to stay with a pub just a couple of minutes walk & Wollongong Central & WIN Stadium around a 5 minute drive. I highly recommend that anyone staying in Wollongong does check this out.

Room Tip: I love to stay on 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Susiewrx
Dear Susiewrx,
It’s great to see another post from you and it’s always a pleasure to have you stay with us. I think as the secret gets out that we are a new hotel in the Wollongong market our demand is increasing. In saying that, we always have ‘specials’ and can negotiate rates if required. Hopefully we will see you again next time the Dragons are playing in Wollongong.

Mandurah
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We arrived at Wollongong from a not very comfortable B & B in The Northern Beaches of Sydney and were pleasantly surprised and impressed at the efficiency of the staff, who made the book in and out process easy. The room was large well equipped and just what I asked for, a quiet room on a high floor away from the lifts, room 309. The room was large clean and comfortable. The daily service very efficient I was quite unwell on the following day and the staff helped, by giving info on doctors, chemists, etc. My husband was able to occupy his time whilst I was bedridden by using the gym and If the weather had been a little better maybe the pool. The free laundry came in handy, as we were travelling onward and needed fresh clothes The location was a little out of Wollongong, so you do need a car. Shops and eating places are in nearby Fairy Meadow. The room was a bargain for $139 per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor away from lifts and the main road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zigzagMandurah,
Thank you for your wonderful comments from your stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed your room away from the lifts as we always try to accommodate guest’s requests. Our housekeeping team will be thrilled with the positive comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms and it’s unfortunate that you were unwell and not able to experience the other facilities that our hotel has to offer. Hopefully next time you’re in the area you can stay with us and enjoy the facilities of the hotel.

Leigh Evans,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had an overnight stay in this place in a 1 br .. The rooms were neat and clean...kitchen was very well equipped.....The only problem I think the managment needs to address that there is only one a/c in the apt which is not ideal on a hot summer night.. The bedroom is quite far away from the lone a/c in the living room..Free secure parking available under the hotel so that was good..overall excellent value for money...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I wrote a comprehensive review of this hotel after our stay last year, but since then we have stayed three more times so I wanted to update my comments. Pioneer Sands is still one of our favourite places to stay, the rooms are stll excellent value for money, they still treat us like family - even remembering our coffee preferences, and they are still among the friendliest hotel staff we have met in our travels. In addition they have included some new breakfast items in the continental selection which were very nice and they now serve a hot breakfast on Saturday and Sunday which we really appreciated. We look forward to our next visit.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sapphire5860
Dear Cathy and Matthew,
Thank you again for your kind words. It really means a lot to me and the staff to hear your comments and I’ll be sure to pass this on to them.
I’m glad to hear that you are happy with our additional breakfast items. We have worked hard to improve our offerings and it’s great to get positive feedback from you.
We look forward to seeing you both in October.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked a studio and got an absolutely huge room with living space/ dining area etc which we didn't really use at all but was nice all the same. Had a balcony from the bedroom and lounge.

Free secure parking was available under the hotel which was great.

Reception were really helpful and friendly with their advice to local things.

It was a little out of the way - had to drive to the beaches about 5-10 mins but not a prob if you have a car - there is only one bar / pub you can really walk to which is ok seemed to be a big chain. Short drive to the town also.

It did say it was a 'spa' and I think the term is used loosely. I'd say it was a small (bit dirty) swimming pool with one small sauna. Also once you'd gone out to the pool you couldn't go back through the same door to get to the sauna you had to walk back through reception and round.

Used the washing facilities these were fine - washing detergent from reception for $1

We only stayed for 1 night so can't comment on the servicing of the rooms

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LL1286,
Thank you for your posting your review regarding your stay with us at QSPS in Wollongong. Our studio rooms are very spacious with plenty of room compared to a standard hotel room in other properties.
Our property is approximately 4kms out of Wollongong CBD but as you said it’s not too far with a car or you can catch the local free shuttle with the nearest pick up stop only a 10min walk from the hotel.
Hopefully next time you stay with us you may be able to stay longer to experience some of the other facilities we have within our complex.