“It's worth $99 a night but thats about it!”

Sage Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My friend and I were doing a road trip from Brisbane to Melbourne (via the coast) and decided to stay at the Chifley Wollongong due to a Wot If $99 a night daily deal.
- The staff made check in extremely easy (booked via Wot If). The only issue is even though the room booked was a twin room, when I asked if the hotel has a spa with the pool the girl made reference to a romantic night which was 100% not the case (We both have long term female partners!) which made for a awkward moment.
- The room was very modern twin room with two single beds, unfortunately the single beds where not that comfortable.
- Everything was clean and the TV was large and had Foxtell!
- The Barth room was also very modern and had a nice HUGE shower.
- It is not really in a main location in relation to the town and parking is $15 if you can’t find a spot out the front!
- Just a note: We had no view what so ever the only view was the top of the building next door!
Overall for the price the place is worth staying at for a quick stay and is great for business (besides no free WIFI).
Another small thing to mention, about 1.5km away is the local PUB the Noth Wollongong Pub which was a great spot to have a beer and dinner! Plus on the Friday we stayed they had a great live band (Kinetic Method).
Please also see the attached pictures.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

Dear BobKa TMelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and photos from your recent stay.

I am disappointed to learn that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your comments regarding the service you had received on arrival and I will personally follow up your concerns with our Front Office Manager. On this occasion, please accept my sincere apologies.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Chifley Wollongong.

Chifley Wollongong

Write a ReviewReviews (1,873)

Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel is unfortunately located next to the Football Stadium and is also remote from the shops - you need to walk through a very tired and shabby neighbourhood to get to them but having said that, it was still a pleasant diversion in a place like Wollongong. The room was up to standard, included an opening window for fresh air and included a large flat-screen TV, the bathroom was very spacious but the most memorable point was the comfort of the bed and pillows......soooo good !!
The restaurant, which as usual also doubles as the breakfast room, was surprisingly very small so at dinner you were squashed in too close to your neighbours tables which limited conversation too much. In addition, the restaurant had opening wall doors to the event rooms which were in full use when we stayed and became an issue with noise later in the evening.
However, overall the stay was pretty good as the hotel is only a few years old, so everything was still nice and fresh.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Ozzietravellers10,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. I value your comments regarding WIN Stadium however I am confident that once the works are completed, we will have an area that is well presented with good access to beaches, shops and restaurants.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Chifley Wollongong in the future. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Hotel Facilities
- Nice and clean

Staff
- Polite helpful

- Buffet breakfast was a biiiig disappointment, hardly any selection and distasteful cold food

Location
- Terrible, I felt very unsafe because of how deserted the area is and seems to be a hot spot for groups of boys. The hotel receives very little light. There was also a strong smell of weed on and off during the day

Price
- Quite cheap, rooms for about $200 a night

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Sarah A
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Dear sarahausti,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

On this occasion, please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during our breakfast period. I will ensure I share your comments with our Food & Beverage team so that we are better able to service our guests.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and should you return to Wollongong in the future, it would be great to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

Check in process was painful as staff member did not know how to process Cudo voucher.
Room was clean and nice but its just so bland. Everything in this hotel seems to be beige. Its not that is bad its just that its well nothing special.
We read on the website there was an MP3 dock only to find out it was only in certain rooms. We paid $35/night to upgrade to this kind of room which was very big. Bathroom had a massive shower and really deep bath. View was only of the football stadium which was having construction work done. Its a bit of stretch to say its near the beach or has beach views.
Breakfast was average again nothing wrong just nothing special.
All in all was there anything wrong but there is just not atmosphere in the place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2011

Dear TheBiebs,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

On this occasion, please accept my sincere apologies for not your exceeding your expectations. I will personally ensure that we review our procedures and systems so that we are more effective in servicing our guest upon arrival.

On behalf of the team, we do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back to Chifley Wollongong. If there is anything further I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

An executive room is certainly worth it. Great ocean views, deep bath, great night sleep, all very comfy. I was at my wits end with a teething baby and after a 1 night stay feel 100% better. Breakfast staff were so helpful as I was on my own with the baby. Love the free papers and mags too. Was up reading til late. Julie C

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear Julie C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and more importantly felt our team at breakfast were helpful. Trust that I will personally share your comments with the team.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back to Chifley Wollongong in the not too distant future. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

I do not understand any of the poor reviews I have seen, although, you only have to read them carefully to notice that obviously the issue is with the reviewers precious sensibilities than with the actual hotel!
My partner and I stayed there this long weekend, and it has become one of my fondest memories.
The check-in/out was smooth, no issues and the staff were brilliant, (helpful, friendly and did not 'hover')
The premises and the actual room (executive balcony suite) were beautiful, clean, comfortable and welcoming. Luxurious yet laid back.
The breakfast was wonderful. We actually looked forward to it after our first lovely morning!

Overall, the hardest part of our stay was leaving!

I believe that if you are the type of person who expects complete and utter, overboard perfection, world class fine dining even at breakfast and cannot forgive issues that can arise anywhere at anytime through no human fault (ie- plumbing issues, which we did not experience!) then you are better off staying at home where you clearly can not be disappointed by anything!

If you are a normal person, however, who appreciates a beautiful, comfortable, friendly hotel that provides luxury without the snootiness..... Then Chifley Woollongong, is an ideal place to stay!

We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Frangipally
WOLMGR, General Manager at Sage Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Dear Frangipally,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review from your recent stay at Chifley Wollongong.

I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and really appreciate your kind comments. We certainly do our best to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay and that they are comfortable and well looked after whilst with us. On this occasion, I am extremely pleased to learn that we have achieved this.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments and should you ever return to Wollongong, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and have you stay with us again. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

My husband and i stayed at the Chifley, Wollongong on a Fri and Sat night during our recent holiday in NSW and found it a pleasant hotel.
Very helpful and efficient reception staff during check-in, during our stay and check-out.
We had an executive balcony room with a king-size bed - the room was clean and adequately furnished. The bed was so comfy as it was a pillow-top mattress - very welcoming and felt just like our own bed.
The bathroom was lovely and great to find a separate bath and shower instead of the awful over the bath shower configuration. Very nicely decorated too. The bath was lovely and deep and due to shaping on the base was comfortable to recline in - often i find i have to wedge my feet on the side so I don't slip down the bath, but this one was very relaxing.
My only gripe about the room would be that there wasn't a power point near the coffee/tea & fridge area so we had to plug it in on what would be the desk....
Hairdryer and iron & ironing board supplied - very handy.
Also, nice to be able to open your sliding door and get some fresh air - as long as your neighbours are not out on their balcony having a smoke of course - shame the hotel isn't completely smoke-free but smoking seems to be tolerated more in NSW than in some other states.
We found breakfast to be fresh with a wide variety or choices to suit even the most fussiest eater - our package for 2 nights did include the buffet breakfast so it wasn't seen by us as being an added cost. The bircher muesli was absolutely yummy- one of the best I have had. Many choices of breads, muffins, crumpets, and pastries plus lovely hot offerings too.
It will be great when all the work on neighbouring worksites is completed, especially the footpath leading north from the hotel - but obviously it is a small inconvenience.
Parking was readily available but at an extra charge - you could probably find free parking near by if you wished.
Our special package also included some lovely fresh macaroons and body scrubs - both happily accepted and enjoyed - thank you Chifley Wollongong if we are in the area again or know of others visiting we will certainly recommend you.

Room Tip: Look out for special offers!