“A different experience”

Colonial Inn Motel Tamworth
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Money was a bit tight and we needed a reasonably priced motel. The Colonial Inn seemed to fit the bill.
My travelling companion and I were given Room 25. It was clean and spacious with a very comfortable bed.
While the surrounds need a bit of TLC, to wake up to the rural aspect was very pleasant.
Guests were given complimentary cereal, toast and coffee, nothing special but it was quite an acceptable gesture.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Robert R, Owner at Colonial Inn Motel Tamworth, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thanks for response, have followed through with grounds comment as we do spend a lot of time and money on grounds. The groundsman had a week of sick and in my absence staff made wrong judgement not to do anything till he returned.

There are newer reviews for Colonial Inn Motel Tamworth

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Arrived to see the room, showed a different room, while the fellow on the phone, asked to see the room I would be having, he's still on the phone. Room was reasonable to what I could see, being late we took the room. In the morning when the room was lighter, you could see that it needed a good vac around the edges in bathroom and carpet.
Breakfast was 7.30 to 8.30am, arrived as did a mum with her 2 children at 8.15am , to be told when doors were closed and locked, it,s too late for breakfast cause the doors are closed at 8.30am. After a discussion we were allowed in, to cheap cereal and only white bread, great for diabetics and then it was squashed and out of shape. Not expensive to add whole meal or multigrain to the mix.
If going through Tamworth again I'd probably bypass this accommodation due to poor service and uncleanliness of the room, although I must say sheets and towels were clean.

Room Tip: Ensure you have plenty of light on inspection and don't expect a varied nor healthy breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Della B

Having spoken to staff and checked cameras, what a bunch of lies

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed here September 2012, on business in Tamworth. I visit the area often. This is the second time I have stayed here.
I checked in around 6pm, I asked if they were serving dinner and was told I would have to be in the restraunt by 7pm as the reception/ cook/bar maid had freinds coming over.
I sat in the bar area and had a drink and had a look at the menu and ordered the Steak/Prawns.
Sheena asked how I would like my steak cooked ? Med/Well. Waited about 20 mins and my meal arrives and I order another drink to have with my meal.
I took my knife and cut the steak to find it was raw, I mean uncooked and cold in the centre. Just the look of it was making me sick whilst I waited for Sheena th return to the bar area where I was eating. After after 1/2 hour Sheena returned and asked was I full, I showed her the bloody not cooked steak, I should have pressed it down she said?? I didn't feel like eating anymore at least I ate some chips and veg before cutting into the uncooked meat.

Next morning I am at reception to settle the dinner bill, Sheena charged me for the meat meal and when I questioned she was charging me for the steak she advised she had taken $3 of the bill.

I paid the bill and will never stay again. I will tell every one about this story.
Steve

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Steveboden
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very overpriced! Rooms need refurbishing and a good clean. One good thing was that the sheets were clean!! Booked via email and Sheena still got it wrong!! SHEENA - what can I say....she obviously hates her job and trying to get a smile was impossible. No people skills whatsoever!! Restaurant also needs a good cleanup. Food ok if you have no other choice. I totally agree with Malcolm from the Gold Coast - as you come into Tamworth - it is on the left - KEEP GOING!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

ALmost all rooms are refurbished, not sure what room you stayed in BUT for price we are cheap, your tone in this response reflects poorly on you, I know Sheena is excellent with customers who know how to behave, should a customer be abusive and want free accomodation without a reason and abuse her I have no issues with anyone who wants to treat my staff disrespectfully staying somewhere else and annoying some other property

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We booked first, then thought to check the reviews here.

The room was clean, but looked and felt very old. There was a big gap around the door so the near-zero overnight breeze got in and chilled us. The extra blankets were synthetic and incredibly static-y -- when I got up at 2am to put another one over my son I saw sparks from it. The bedside lights were attached to a doubled-up power adapter which had bent prongs; it was *not* safe to use.

The included breakfast was just cereal, toast and juice. The restaurant area was bitterly cold - my son (18months) turned blue despite being well rugged up. Another reviewer mentioned spoiled milk in the pitcher, we experienced that too.

We wouldn't stay there again unless there weren't any other options. On our way back through Tamworth we stayed at the Comfort Inn on the other side of town; it was much better on all counts.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reality if this reponse can be best considered by sone turning blue comment, please !!!!!!!!

We have full expensive woollen blankets in all rooms as well as family rooms having other blankets, not sure what relevance is about staticy comment. As for sparks comment what are they trying to suggest, a totally stupid comment aolong with his other coment.

Never been spolied milk in pitcher, one has full cream the other lite milk, obviously guest do not know difference.

We look after our guests well, are very well priced and WILL not give free rooms to anyone making up threats

Reviewed August 24, 2012

you will find the motel on the left as you go into Tamworth KEEP GOING as a business traveller I booked a superior queen; but was give the key to a family room after informing Sheena that I did not pay $164.00 for that room she gave me the key to room 25 a supposedly re-furbished room.
Painted tiles and a wash basin tap hanging off and a shower that ran hot and cold. Not my idea of value for money.
Breakfast was a joke! both toasters had problems; late in opening up at 7am when most travellers are heading out the door, and a bunch of guests trying make tea from just two kettles and no water to top them.
Way Way over priced. I have informed my company never ever use this motel. Rude people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Malcolm48GoldCoast

what can I say but we are one of the cheapest motels in Tamworth, I would take comments more seriously if there weren't some parts that I know are wrong eg breakfast starts in restaurant at 7:30 so not sure i can read anything else accurate here, we are open to criticism but if there were issues why was it not mentioned on checking out or a note left ???????????? So easy later to make stories up.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying two nights in this establishment. Never again!! Our first room was not clean, a terrible smell arose from the shower drain, one light flickered constantly and the hot water ran out in the morning after one shower! The shower head kept falling down and it was almost impossible to have a shower anyway! The old vanity basin had taps that were rusted. The air-con was old and could not cope with the cold temperatures. After complaining, we were moved to another room the following night..and it was not much better! Once again it was obvious that the room had not been cleaned properly....there were layers of dust on surfaces. There was no luggage rack [ the manager claimed it had been stolen] so our bags had to go on the floor and the tiles in the bathroom had been painted over!

Breakfast in the dining room was another experience! The room had a musty smell both days and was freezing cold as the owners did not turn on the air-con, even when it was below freezing outside. The manager very begrudgingly turned it on after we complained!

After I had handed in my key, and had made my complaints known to the manager who was not at all interested, I met other travellers in the carpark who were also complaining about their rooms!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Robert R, Owner at Colonial Inn Motel Tamworth, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Interesting their version of events.

This if from a man who on receiving a spare key with a small tag for his room had to come back and complain that he wanted a big tag for his key like the others.

THink this sums it up.

As for room cleanliness all of Tamworth has been expecting AAA inspectinos since Feb. our inspectionhappenned immediately after they left, their rooms inspected and obviously a different opinion as our cleanliness and maintainence came in at the 5 star level with a percentage of between 95 and 100%, the exact percentage we don't know till we receive our report.

They also neglect to mention 45 minutes I spent trying to find what might be wrong with the ladies internet on her computer.

The shower head has an adjuster which I was able to adjust with my fingers, the man who was only my age said his fingers were not good, maybe not but I have my doubts.

The air conditioner like all air conditioners has settings, I went to room and increased temperature setting AND no surprise works fine, again they are playing games.

As for breakfast it is interesting that I had personally 3 rooms approach me about these guests not happy with them and their attitude.

We advertise we run a quiet motel, we are busy and thankfully we are in a situation that we do not want anyone staying here that results in other guests having their stay impacted on.

There was no smell, we have had 5 people in last month wanting free stays or they would post negative reviews, interesting that when asked they had no complaints just part of games that certain questionable members of the community are resorting to. Again we have no desire to have these sort of people here, if they are going to be offensive to us and make things up then we do not with to have them here taking chance of what happens with other guests.