“easily wheelchair accessible, good menu, though a bit noisy”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Queanbeyan
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
South Australia, Australia
“easily wheelchair accessible, good menu, though a bit noisy”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I took my mother, who requires a wheelchair and lives in a nearby nursing home, for lunch on a Sunday to the Royal Hotel.

It was easy to get inside, though the front doors are quite heavy and you'd need a third person to hold them open while you get in. The tables were roomy and it was easy to select a table that could accommodate a wheelchair without blocking anybody who needed to move around behind.

Their ordering & food delivery system is quite common, though I find it a bit annoying. You have to line up to pay & order your food, then go to the bar to order, pay for and collect drinks, and then when the meals are ready you have to go & collect them yourself. I much prefer places that just bring the food out when it's ready, it makes for a more a more relaxing time, I think. And I don't notice any saving on the price of the food given the absence of a few extra staff members.

The food was ready reasonably quickly. We ordered a couple of burgers and a prawn cocktail. The prawn cocktail was served in a pint glass & was really tricky to eat. I had to get up (again) to get a plate so I could dismantle it & take the tails off the prawns. Maybe I just didn't have my funky-hipster about me, but I can't see how it's a good idea to pick salad out of a long glass.

There was reasonably loud music playing while we were in the pub, which I think could have been turned down a little for the lunchtime crowd. Although, there may well have been another area we could have sat that was quieter - I'll have to check it out next time I visit & I'll let you know.

• Visited March 2014

Ayr, Queensland
“Good service and food”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Good variety on the menu, quick and efficient service, clean and attractive seating.
Music was too loud, even though we were sitting far away from the singer.

Visited February 2014
Truro, United Kingdom
“Family farewell”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

What a pleasant surprise. The bar was buzzing and the staff were very helpful. There were 6 of us, 4 adults and two children and we had a great table that was large enough for all of us and our meals (not always the case in some restaurants). The food came in good time and was really hearty and tasty.

Thank you, Queanbeyan, for a good night out.

• Visited January 2014
Queanbeyan, Australia
“Friendly Staff”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been to the Royal Hotel in Queanbeyan several times since it refurbishment. The bar staff are so friendly and as a non pub person, the atmosphere is friendly and very comfortable. I love the outdoor area which consists of the " old Hotel" rooms on display one story up complete with the old fireplace and entry doors.....it is all roof free so the sky just falls into this area. It's very beautiful.
I particularly like Guy who makes a point of connecting with you while making drinks. He is very professional and has great customer service skills.

The food is: Pub food. Simple as that. If you require a Michelin Star, this is not the place for you BUT if you want to catch up for a casual meal with friends in a comfortable atmosphere, this is the place.

• Visited August 2013
Queanbeyan, New South Wales, Australia
“A lovely place to have lunch”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I am not a "pub" person but lunch at the Royal is a treat. I always have the Chicken Caesar Salad and the serving is very generous and the chicken lovely, fresh and warm. The rest of the group all commented on the high quality of the food though one said the burger was a little dry. The newly renovated hotel is more of a restaurant than a pub these days and is a very nice place to have lunch.

• Visited November 2013