“Check the dates of the reviews before discounting this motel”
Review of Leagues Motel

Leagues Motel
Leagues Motel
Ranked #2 of 9 Queanbeyan B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Check the dates of the reviews before discounting this motel”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

There's an old review from 2010 about this motel which couldn't be further from the truth. When travelling to the ACT I generally try to stay in Queanbeyan as it is usually quieter, cheaper and only 15 minutes from the centre of Canberra City.
On check in I was greeted by a very friendly lady who, on check-out, told me she would love to be able to erase the 2010 review about the former manager and a seemingly run-down motel.
The room I stayed in was clean, tidy and was clearly renovated since the above mentioned review. The bathroom was the most modern I have encountered in a motel for some time. The bed too was relatively new and extremely comfortable. All appliances were modern with no expense spared.
Nothing to fault here and would recommend to anyone. Take the leap - if you're after a clean, quiet, comfortable motel you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I can't see there being any need to make a choice of rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CGSYDNEY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Generally ACT can be expensive for rooms so this is my second stay here. Rooms would be a little tight for electric wheelchair user but disabled bathroom is excellent. Reasonably quiet location whilst being walkable to main street shops clubs and hotels. Fornt desk lady was friendly no fuss. Not far from many good and free attractions in Canberra. Walshes hotel is a good local hotel accessable from rear disabled carpark. Pub has a disabled toilet.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Currently undergoing renovations and assume this will apply to all rooms. I stayed in one of the older rooms and it was still all I needed for a couple of nights on business. Basic clean with microwave.
Not the cheapest but OK value.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cobra53
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2010

First impressions count for so much. We entered the reception and the grumpy guy looks up and says 'fill in one of these', indicating the check in form. OK fine, we can all have a bad day. He indicates where the room is and off I go, feeling all warm inside after such a cosy reception. I open the door and am struck by the overpowering odour of some cheap chemical perfume that obviously masks some less pleasant stench. I was certain it was covering a cigarette smell.

Looking around the room I am amazed at the decor. Plastic flowers, a bowl of boiled lollies (now who would touch them, who knows how long they have been there). Even a frilly doiley over the tissues and of course another frilly affair holding the spare toilet roll. While I am in the toilet I see that the toilet seat is detached and just falls off the bowl if you touch it. Nice.
The bedspreads are ghastly, some frilly floral thing that grandma used to make. In fact the whole room is decorated by hand and by grandma. The mirror tiles are an interesting touch and the power cable across the ceiling to the light fitting is something you don't see every day.
I notice a can of bug spray within easy reach next to the TV. This is a very thoughtful addition as the spray gets some good use. Two spiders down and I have only been in the room for a few minutes. What will the night bring.
I look at the floor around the bed and there are wires everywhere. Nothing is plugged in, so you can select whatever lamp you like. Powerboard and cables to lamps, electric blankets. It looks like the back of my desktop PC.
Other guests in our group complain about the headache producing chemical smells and the hideous decor. Some love the mirror tiles but I think they have no taste.
I am the only one brave enough to approach Mr Grumpy at the front office. Without even looking up from his website, he states there are no spare rooms. I ask him to show me how to use the steam powered air conditioner, His eyes quickly glance at the ceiling and he shuffles to my room. He adjusts the control and I can feel his annoyance as he shuffles back out.
Further inspection under the beds indicate a no go area for the cleaners and easier to spot were the the small particles and cellophane wrapper on the floor beside the bed. Not mine, I assure you .
Oh, and one more thing, there is always one more thing. The carpet, what is that. They have used something resembling a marine carpet. You know the stuff. Not really carpet, just a waterproof plastic with a hint of pile.
Thing is, this could be a reasonable motel, if the owner/manager gave a damn. The horrid frilly stuff could be removed along with the mirror tiles. The furniture is OK. Just a few decent touches and hey presto.
I have stayed in some basic motels, but basic can be outweighed by the hospitality of the host. It can make all the difference.
This place seems to be full most times and maybe complacency has set in. I guess it won't matter if the rooms are 4 star or 2 star if they sell every night. It would be a waste of money to make it better.
I would not stay there again and neither will my colleagues.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank ACEPMQ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Queanbeyan
Vibe Hotel Canberra Airport
#5 of 9 in Queanbeyan
Golden Age Motor Inn
Golden Age Motor Inn
#1 of 13 in Queanbeyan

Been to Leagues Motel? Share your experiences!