“Amazing taste sensation”

Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have eaten at many of Sydney's best restaurants over the years such as Tetsuya's, Sepia, Rockpool, Quay, Catalinas, Longrain, Aria etc etc. The meal I recently enjoyed here was spectacular and certainly in this league. I had the spanner crab entrée and tooth fish main. Both were done to perfection. The service was good and the overall mood lighting was a nice touch (except for the cheap fake candle lighting, but no biggy).

Like most places order well and you will be rewarded.

Definitely recommend it.

1  Thank barts110
THESTUNNEDMULLE... P, Owner at The Stunned Mullet, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thanks for recommending us barts110, and ranking us with Sydney’s best. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to The Stunned Mullet.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrived on time at 6:15PM on a Saturday. We were greeted at the door (by the owner?), then sat, given menu. We asked for time to decide on drink, so waitperson left us. I kept watch, and I did notice that the wait staff were always paying attention / watching us, so they could take order when we were.

We ordered pork belly and scallops, baby pea and tofu, as starter. My pork belly was soft, scallops were just a little over half cooked. Taste of truffle mousse was balance.

Ordered tooth fish and vegetarian as main. I was told the vegetarian was good. Timing of the fish was very well.

I had dessert "PassionFruit Curd Tart coconut lime yoghurt, raspberry sorbet, pop rocks, compressed pineapple". The pineapple was impressive, yoghurt was not too sour (I normally hate yoghurt). However, everything was citrus, so my mouth was quite sour towards the end, that I nearly did not finish my dessert.

We tried to leave just after 8:30PM, and a lot of people already left. This is the only occasion where service seem to have dropped. Staffs seem to be busy with paperwork and preparation, it actually took us a while to flag someone to ask for our bill.

This place is slightly more expensive, but then a restaurant of similar standard would cost the same in Sydney or Melbourne. Service was efficient until the end when it dropped, this would be my only complain. And the dessert, need something else to balance it.

1  Thank Azzsyd
Reviewed June 28, 2014

This restaurant had just received a hat and was claimed as one of tne of the best in Port Macquarie but I wouldn't waste your money. The place was cramped and noisy and no ambience for a romantic meal. The waiters were pleasant but not overly skilled. Wine spilt on the table never cleaned, napkins not placed on laps and had to line up to pay the bill.
The tables were white plastic with disposable napkins, similar to a club or cafe. Apart from the lack of fine dining appointments, the food was the biggest let down. The bread was served with a variety of oils that lacked flavour. The mains, particularly the sirloin was a basic, meat, potatoes and beans. No sauce and meals served cold. The meals were ok but not worth a $39 price. Similar to a steak in most clubs or cafes which you can get at half the price.
Desert was nice and a good way to end but wouldn't be in a rush to part with my money here again. Will leave the special dining to sydney and Melbourne who know how to impress with $40 plus meals.

4  Thank Happy T
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Bland food, tiny portions, wine 125% markup and awkward atmosphere.
I have no problem paying top $$ for fine dining, unfortunately this was not the case. Will not reccomend, waste of money.

3  Thank elle399
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The lamb dish was an absolute winner and the pork belly and scallops a close second.

The staff were extremely friendly and informative. They gave great recommendations and they laughed at my husband's silly jokes (he asked for tomato sauce with his entree).

I would come here again, without question.

What a lovely review Natasha C, thank you for taking time to share your experience. We look forward to your next visit.