“TRIPLE TREAT”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stunned Mullet

The Stunned Mullet
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, International
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Port Macquarie
“TRIPLE TREAT”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The three of us went for lunch and knowing the menu well, we all chose the outstanding signature dishes. First the Soft Shelled Crab, second the other unmissable Pork Belly entree and finally the Belgian Chocolate Layers for dessert. Sometimes you can say too much in a review which is why there is no more to say, other than with ONE HAT already this outstanding Restaurant is undoubtedly on the way to another one and then the whole three.

Visited September 2013
THESTUNNEDMULLE... P, Owner at The Stunned Mullet, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thanks cdcdent for your fabulous review of our Restaurant. We always enjoy hosting you and we certainly hope that your predictions come true!

Launceston, Australia
“Overpriced and Overrated!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Seeing that it had been voted the number one restaurant in Port Macquarie on TripAdvisor, we had to give it a try and we so wish we hadn't. The food was cold and you couldn't vary the menu at all. One of our group didn't want the mushroom butter on the steak but the manager advised that it "had to come with the butter to make it taste good". When the steak came, the whole plate was drowning in it. At these prices, you would expect that the chef could cook a steak to perfection without having to drown it in butter. The bench seats were too low for the tables and the view was almost impossible to see. It was outrageously expensive (nearly $200 for two courses for three people with no alcohol) and when I mentioned this to the manager when it came to paying, he quipped "people keep coming here so we keep charging these prices!" We won't be going there again.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Carolyn S
Thanks for taking the time to review our Restaurant CuteAussieKoala. We are disappointed that you didn't enjoy your experience with us and we will take on board your observations.
ACT
“Expensive and only ordinary”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Four of us dined here on a Saturday night at the start of a tour of the east coast which was taking us to some luxury resorts. By reputation The Stunned Mullet seemed a good place to start but we came away wondering where it got its reputation. Ambience out on the 'deck' was ordinary, service patchy and the food disappointing. The Nahm Jim sauce on the oysters was far far too hot - it should have a chilli flavour but not such that it kills anything it's served with. Both the fish of the day and the steak were overcooked and the bill $100 more than we paid at a top rate award winning restaurant later in the trip

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank grangeview
Thanks grangeview for taking the time to review us. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your experience and we will take on board your feedback.
Regards The Stunned Mullet Team
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“An enjoyable evening at the Stunned Mullet.”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed dining at this restaurant. I would call it a "Modern Australian" restaurant. Whilst the menu may be small it covers all bases - poultry, game, seafood, pork, lamb, beef & vegetarian. Using fresh produce matched with some international twists. The desserts are hand made and the wine list extensive. I believe that their prices match the quality in both the food and service and their portion sizes were just right.

The atmosphere was lovely with low lighting, music and candles. I think that linen napkins would be well received by your patrons.

My only disappointment was out initial table. We were seated practically in the entrance of the restaurant surrounded by other tables. It was cramped and a draft would occur when the door was left opened (which happened a lot). There were two much better tables available & ready to go & I really don't know why the waiter seated us in this position considering we had booked over a week in advance. The owner was more than obliging & happy to relocate us & I am so glad that he did as we ended up sitting next to a lovely couple. We had a great time chatting away and talking about our travels. As I work in the industry I personally would instruct my staff to use our initial table as a last resort only & for tables that walk in with out reservations.

My advice for anyone wanting to dine at this restaurant is to book ahead, ask for a table by the side & have a wonderful evening indulging yourself with a fabulous meal & a drop of fine wine.

• Visited September 2013
Thanks for your review of our Restaurant Ney2450. We are so happy that your enjoyed your night with us. We will also take on board your observation re seating.
Port Macquarie, Australia
“So excited !!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had moved to Port a year ago and had heard that this restaurant was good, even though they told me they call it 'the stunned wallet'. It was my partners birthday so I decided to break the bank and take him I was so excited. It was hard to find the front door, we made our way in and it had a lovely ambiance, soft lighting (it made me look sensational) ha ! Even with our glasses on we had trouble reading the menu, luckily there were only a few things to select from ! I was shocked that there were so many meat dishes and only 1 (one) fish dish :{ I was so looking forward to a huge seafood menu. There were a few seafood dishes as an entree but no mains. I had duck. My partner had the fish we enjoyed the meal we had fortunately. The wine was $40 and it was also lovely.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank luvqualityfud
Thanks luvqualityfud for your review of our Restaurant. We are happy that you enjoyed your meal with us and we will take on board your observations.