“Not what I expected..”
Review of Beach Blue Resort

Beach Blue Resort
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I arrived in the afternoon to 68 Pacific Drive to check in to our 2 Bedroom Apartment we had booked online. However upon entering the recpetion office on site I was told by the lady in reception that she could not locate our reservation and were we perhaps staying at Beach Blue Resort next door? I went back to the car and looked at my paperwork . I went back to lady in the office and she was polite (we have stayed there before and didnt realise we had booked a different place)and gave me the managers mobile number as she had advised me I would be collecting the keys offsite from her. Well not only did the mobile number just go straight to message bank it took nearly an hour for my call to be returned. Finally we were able to check in although the lady said she would have to check us in in the carpark of the building so we did not have to drive to get the keys.

When we were greeted it was by a lady who was lovely enough although sweaty and carrying a bumbag around her waist. To me this seemed most unprofessional especially since I thought I had a booked a 4.5 star rated hotel.After shaking hands and getting the keys we entered the apartment after battling the stairs(we are older and 50 stairs with luggage is quite a haul)only to find the cupbaords in kitchen running with cockraches. Our lounge was quite shabby and had wear marks on it and the curtains had mould spots on it.
I think for anyone out there looking for a great deal.. often it is to good to be true and you should stick with what you know.
We will be booking back at the resort next door to Beach Blue as our last stay there was perfect.
Plus for us we enjoy having a recpetion where we can ask for help/ recommendations etc. Staying in those other units were isolated and offered no service.

Room Tip: Ask for lower floor units.The beach view was blocked by trees and the stairs were killers on the leg...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BeachBlueResort, Manager at Beach Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear “oldfoogey”

Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking for ways to better accommodate our guests.

Although we are on the same property, we are separate to Flynns Beach Resort. Unfortunately only one resort is allowed to manage from onsite, so our website, all of our online booking sites, booking confirmation and email all provide information on where our key pick up office is located, as well as all relevant check-in & check-out details.

As our resort is family owned and managed, we clean the apartments ourselves so my sister may have been a little hot when she greeted you, and December is the hottest part of summer. Our guests usually meet us at our lovely offsite office which I assure you is most professional, but we thought you may like to go straight to your room as you had been waiting at the resort.

In the hotter summer months we have noticed some cockroaches appear in only 2 of our apartments, which we have exterminated and now constantly monitor. We apologise for any inconvenience these little pests may have caused!

We have courtyard (floor level) apartments available which have a minimal amount of stairs for our guests who prefer it or have problems with mobility, and we can allocate these apartments if we are aware of your preference when booking.

As we always say to our guests, please call if you need anything and we are always more than happy to recommend restaurants and holiday activities. We also have many pamphlets and information on local attractions and restaurants at our offsite office where guests pick up their keys from.

We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay, most of our guests have a wonderful time and are valued repeat customers. Should you want to stay with us again, we will do our best to accommodate your needs, and if availability permits there could be a ground level apartment with your name on it ☺

Kind regards,
The Beach Blue family.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We only stayed a night unfortunately as we had a wedding to attend. Right from the start of booking it became clear that the owners were a class act. They were extremely helpful and frankly a pleasure to deal with. The property was excellent, clean and faultless. A great location and central to everything. Highly recommended we will be back next time we are in Port Macquarie. Would recommend this establishment to all of our friends. Beach straight across the road, lovely grounds, spacious apartment. Fantastic for couples or families or anyone who wants a time to remember.

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden courtyard which was great, quiet and had a very relaxing feel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Thought I’d give a quick review of Beach Blue as I had a such a great stay. My husband and I were in a 2 bedroom apartment for a weekend with friends next door; apartment was massive, kitchen was huge, balcony was big and breezy, perfect for afternoon cocktails. The staff were so nice.. very welcoming and helpful, we got some great tips on snorkelling and local gigs. Felt safe and secure, family friendly. Easy access to resort pools, security car park and local shops. I travel to Port Macquarie most years, this is the first time I’ve stayed here, I’ll definitely be rebooking for next time. Would suit a long or short stay.
Right across from the beach, everything we needed, relaxed atmosphere. Too easy. Will recommend to family and friends.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank JessyCM
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at Beach Blue Resort for a weekend and were very pleased with the location and the amazing apartment. Very spacious and clean with everything you'd need, and more.
The beach is directly opposite and we had a great view from our balcony. The staff were very attentive and helped us out with recommendations for dinner and drinks in Port Macquarie which was great.
Great value and we will definitely be returning soon. Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank JoellaK
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Spent a weekend in a top floor apartment at Beach Blue (Flynn's beach). The room is incredibly spacious and light, comfortably held two couples + a whole heap of friends that dropped by (and half the pub we brought home at one point).

Great barbecue area as well so long as you like native wildlife joining in the eating.

Flynn's Beach is a great little spot and Beach blue is right near the Bottle-O and cafes.

The owners were really helpful and made themselves available to hand our keys over when we arrived and take them back when we left.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the ocean and in our top floor apartment.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gee_Aaron
Reviewed October 20, 2012

As a family with 3 children, we found it challenging finding any 2 bedroom accommodation in Port Macquarie for just one night, so we were grateful to have found this.

We booked on Whatif, and luckily the owners called us on the day to check we had realised that the key pickup is offsite as the confirmation email has it in very tiny letters, and supplies directions direct to the resort.

The key pickup went smoothly, the owners were lovely and friendly and eager to provide as much information as we needed and to make it as easy as possible to find the resort as it would be tricky otherwise.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom courtyard apartment, which had everything we needed but felt functional rather than welcoming. The kitchen was well equipped although we didn't do any cooking. The lounges were comfortable and there were flat screen TVs in both the lounge and main bedroom.

I also HATE the laminated rules and regulations and demands that you must do this and that or else pay extra. The advertised wireless access was not free as I had assumed, but that didn't really matter to us. The room really needs a lamp or two as eating and relaxing by the flourescent overhead lighting is horrible.

We found the bed and pillows hard and uncompromising, but maybe we are just used to our own bed. The bathroom has a spa that we didn't have a chance to use, and the bathroom is looking a bit dated and grimy. A coat of paint and new grout would make all the difference.

We didn't use the pool but it looked very nice, and the security parking was great.

Overall there was nothing at all to complain about - and for an overnight stay it was more than adequate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family