“Had a great room but then shown the door”

Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Sydney, Australia
“Had a great room but then shown the door”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

By mistake i was given the end room which was more like a unit than a hotel room.Very large deep bath, a lounge room to entertain guests, chocolates on the table etc.
After a couple of hours I was asked to go to reception and i was told that she had mistakenly given me the wrong room.
We packed up and were shown into a standard room near by.
That weekend a triathlon was on and some one had booked the room and after a grueling triathlon they deserved it.
The embarrassing thing was my wife had left her pj's under the pillow in the other room.
She had to go back and ask for them!
I liked the fresh juices they had for breakfast and the wheat grass.
I agree that the tea /coffee situation in the morning was not the best as other writers have pointed out.
The steam room is good and it can get extremely hot.
There are some shops across the road and a large club next door but the main part of town is a 5 to 10 minute walk away.
I would recommend this hotel as a solid 4 star property,

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and have wide views. Views facing the swimming pool are good, if there ar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank etsu2013
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for supplying this feedback during your recent stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel facilities. The staff member on duty did make me aware of this issue and she was extremely apologetic for her mistake. She apologised to me for the error and also asked me to pass on my apologies to you. We apologise for the inconvenience and the member of staff responsible has realised her mistake and has taken appropriate action to ensure this doesn’t occur again.
Thank you again for supplying your feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel for a future stay.

Michael Sharp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Cessnock
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here for 1 night and we loved it. We found reception staff friendly and helpful. Our room had a great view of the river and pool(room 126). Yes I agree the room could do with a 'facelift' but everything you need is there. Rooms clean and tidy. Location ideal as it is near a shopping centre, cafes and easy walking distance to town. The only negative comment I have and really it is no big deal but on check in we were told to hand over our priority guest rewards club card in the bar to receive our inclusive drink but bar staff didn't know anything about it. It might be a good idea to look into a printed voucher receipt like we got at Rydges Port Macquarie city hotel the night before. Overall nice hotel, location and we would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to supply some feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, especially your room which was a Water View Studio, the view is incredible from these rooms. Thank you also for bringing the Priority Guest Rewards free welcome drink to my attention. I was under the impression that all the staff are aware of the benefits of a Priority Guest Rewards Member. I will personally ensure extra training is given to the frontline staff.
Thank you again for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay. It is only through guest feedback that helps me to see areas of the hotel which may need improvement. Without guest feedback, I may never have known that the staff needed more training on the Priority Guest Rewards Membership. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a future stay.

Tuross Head, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was our 4th stay at Sails and it is always good to know what type of experience to expect. Whilst the rooms are a little dated they are very clean and the resort does provide all the necessary services and facilities. We will definitely stay again and I would recommend a meal in their restaurant. Only negative was the self operated coffee machine at breakfast time.

Room Tip: Approximately half the rooms have water views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was pleased to read that this was your 4th stay at the hotel. I hope during your visits you have seen some positive changes with the recent management change. Rydges has a lot of plans for Sails Resort including a full refurbishment in the next 6 to 12 months. I hope we can welcome you back for a 5th stay soon.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here as part of a conference in September. Looking at the website before i travelled i was excited to be staying here. When i arrived i was a little disappointed as the website makes it look better than it is. They had just joined Rydges and the staff seemed to be struggling with the new technology but that was fine as i know how difficult it can be learning new systems. The room itself was huge and had 3 beds so lots of room for me to spread out. It was tired and in need of a bit of a spruce up. It was really nice weather while we were there but the air con was a long way from my bed (as my room was so big) so i didnt feel the benefit during the night. I didnt utilise the pool but it looked OK. There was a shopping complex opposite which was handy with a couple of restaurants. Depending on the rate i possibly would stay here again but only if it was a very sharp rate

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I appreciate your understanding during this transitional period. I am pleased you found the hotel overall enjoyable and met your needs during the conference. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for a future stay.

Lake Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I chose the Sails Resort over The Mantra due to the good reputation and good previous experiences I had had with Rydges. It was a great mistake.

Arriving at the Sails resort reception I was (I’d like to say greeted) however I was not greeted, I was glanced at while the two ladies behind the counter continued their conversation even to the point where the lady behind the counter turned around and left to enter the back office where the other employee then showed her photos of whoever their private conversation was about. After an unusual amount of time had passed and their conversation ended the original lady came out to greet me as if I had just walked through the front door. It was extremely odd.
We were given a key and lugged our luggage up the stairs (as there is no lift), to find a very outdated and tired room.

My daughter, eager to swim in the pool went to change in the bathroom and found a large cockroach in the bathroom. I removed it and went about the rest of the day.

We had dinner at the resort restaurant where we were again ignored for long periods of time by the staff that were more interested in a large group of more ‘important’ people.
A waiter brought a glass of wine or champagne to the table where I said it was not mine and I had not ordered it as I had already received my glass of wine that was a different type of wine to the one he had brought to the table. I noticed after dinner, back in my room that the waiter had still charged my bill with the glass he brought to the table that I didn’t order and did not drink.

The first night when we went to sleep I felt something crawl down my back in the bed. Not wanting to freak my children out and then not have them sleep I flicked it off and got up to see what it was. It was another big cockroach. Feeling really creepy I slept very uneasily wondering if it would happen again. I mentioned it to the staff at the front desk where they were shocked and very quick to apologise and go up to spray the room. I accepted the apology and went on with the day.
The second night my son as he was getting in to bed to sleep called out that there was another large cockroach in his bed. This time I removed it with a tissue and kept it and called the front desk. The lady I spoke to on the phone was unapologetic to the point of irritated that I brought this to her attention stating that it was because the resort was so close to the water that it brought a lot of cockroaches. She then stated someone would be straight up to do something about it. We waited and no one came at all to do anything about it. I was stunned by such appalling treatment.

Checking out the next day I again mentioned it was not a good experience having cockroaches in the bed and worrying during the night about having cockroaches crawling on you or your children. I was referred to some supervisor who dismissively told me in front of other customers that this was just how it was here and she had cockroaches at her own house and that was normal.

I found the whole experience to be horrible. It was as if I had gone to stay at a distant relatives house that ‘tolerated’ our stay and we should be happy with whatever we got from staying there and we even paid for the experience.
I have read the Sails resort is going to be renovated and rightly so. It is extremely dated, it has cockroaches crawling through the beds and the older staff have disgusting and completely inappropriate customer service attitude and skills.
Using the Rydges for their reputation is a huge filthy stain on their good image. The advertising for this establishment may be how they want to be in the future but I think it is misleading. It is mutton dressed up as lamb without a shadow of a doubt.

Two positive things; The Atlantic Salmon with asparagus and it has a good pool.

Please! Whatever you do. Stay anywhere else The Sails Resort is just awful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Peita_C
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am extremely disappointed with the hotel staff acted during your stay. I am appalled at their lack of understanding and acknowledgment both from Reception and the Restaurant. Please accept my apologies for the way you have been treated. I will endeavour to catch out any staff that ignores guests, which, there will be severe consequences for.
Thank you again for your feedback. Without this information I may never have known that the staff lacked such basic service skills. If you wish to discuss this in more detail I would be happy be delighted to know the staff that served you during your stay.

Kiama, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We intended staying two nights having stayed about ten years ago, but changed it to one after checking in. Our room was quite small and felt the price initially quoted seemed a tad high for the quality of the room. $174 for a garden room and over $200 for a water view of the river! This ain't Sydney and no facilities near by in the way of restaurants or taverns or easy transport and a long walk into town.! On paying the bill we found the room rate to be less than what was quoted. The peeling bathroom door, grubby bathroom with mould and hair on the floor ( one of my pet hates along with a shower curtain and mould in the grout made it disappointing given it is a Rydges owned establishment) .Bathroom which was so small and stuffy as to not be able to swing a cat, no fans, small bath towels, and what I hate most, those dreadful shower curtains... indicated that the room is in need of a revamp and some better care with servicing! Stains on the carpet? The bed was comfortable and the air conditioner quiet. A luggage rack would also be nice rather than having to dump luggage on the floor!
Food in the restaurant was OK but not a lot of it in the seafood ( 2 small prawns, 2 small oysters, two pieces of calamari and same of fish for $37??? and if I see another salad which is mostly rocket and the odd tomato and not much else I will send it back! Also the wine very expensive plus serving white wine which has been opened for two or three days at $8-9 a glass and sour tasting is pretty ordinary service to say the least! Breakfast was better although no pancakes with container being empty and which took a while to replace, nuts were very salty..... the staff on duty kindly fixed the problem bringing a serving of pancakes when we asked if there were more coming albeit at the end of breakfast. Quite a large choice of items from muffins and toast to pancakes and same with juices which is good. Liked the little carrot juice shots! Nice setting but room was rather tatty and tired!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie. I agree with you, the rooms are tired and in need of a good refurb which we are currently in the planning stages of. Hopefully within the next 6 - 12 months the hotel will be completely transformed and will be as you remembered it 10 years ago.
Thank you again for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel once the refurbishment works are completed.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at Sails resort for 2 nights.The hotel is central and just a stones throw to shopping centre and local club which is really handy. We had a studio water view room and it was fine. Lovely view of the marina. The staff that serviced our room were lovely and friendly. I felt the staff at reception were a little less so. Pool temperature was excellent. Overall (and as mentioned numerous times before on this forum) the resort is a tad worn. Also, as a Rydges member we were not offered a welcome drink, even though the hotel has a huge poster at the entrance to reception advertising all the advantages of being a Priority club member, and this poster mentions the welcome drink. I just found that contradictory. I believe it is impolite to ask for something that should be offered in the first instance - I actually would be embarrassed to do so. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael S, Manager at Sails Resort Port Macquarie - by Rydges, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to supply your review regarding your stay at Sails Resort Port Macquarie by Rydges. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, staff and the hotel pool. I would like to check, was your membership Priority Club or Priority Guest Rewards? The Priority Guest Rewards Membership is for Rydges Hotels where as Priority Club is for another hotel chain. It is always important to present your membership card to the hotel when you arrive as well, the membership details may not be in your hotel reservation which means the hotel staff would not know if you were a member or not.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay. Feedback is vital to the hotel as it helps us to see areas where we may need improvement, areas which the hotel staff may not be able to see from a guest’s point of view.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next stay.