“Perfect location”

Ranked #9 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Thames, New Zealand
“Perfect location”
Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed at this resort for only 2 nights but wished it could have been longer. Our room was ground floor and opened out to the marina with fabulous sea views.
The facilities could not be faulted. Breakfast in the restaurant was adequate and we did have one evening meal there which was great. Very attentive pleasant and helpful staff.
The resort is situated over the road from Settlement City shopping plaza which is just great.
I would certainly be happy to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor lagoon views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dooleysmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stay 1 night as my business partner booked for me.

The room is average, clean, nothing special.

The location is very good, within walking distance to CBD and short taxi ride to Airport.

The surrounding area is peaceful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed Friday and Saturday night at Sails and throughly enjoyed the experience. I actually got a special deal of $99 for 2 with continental breakfast and on arrival upgraded to cooked breakfast for $10 each. We were given a basic room no 202 on the second floor and having read some of the negative reviews I was a bit worried I will admit. I was pleasently surprised, the queen size bed had a lovely white doona cover on it and the bed was very comfortable likewise the pillows. There was a sofa which would have been used had there been a third person. A small table and chairs and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was extremely clean with shampoo etc and white towels. The shower is over the bath with a clean curtin. We ate in their restaurant and the food was very good but I must admit the wine list is very limited and a bit expensive. Breakfast was great both morning and all the staff very frendly. I have no hesitation in recommending Sails.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Childs
Tuncurry, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2011

we had the most wonderful 3 night stay at Sails - king deluxe suite right on the front upstairs corner - we spent most of that time just relaxing on the balcony with the ever moving ever interesting view one was never bored - our room was just delightful - comfortable bed - lovely lounge suite etc. - staff just delightful - restaurant manager is to be commended for her knowledge of the new menu - I changed my choice after liaising with her and could not have been more delighted - choices I would never had made were just a glorious part of our wonderful weekend - we will definitely stay there again - and under 2 hours from home - wont be travelling for lesser value again - do not agree with the negative comments - just goes to show you must look and enquire for yourself - I was informed the resort is over 20 years old and apart from the mini-golf course it did not show it one bit - would like to see that revamped as my little grandson played for the first time on Mothers Day - and we had a ball - great place

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I agree with other reviewers, this place is in serious need of redecoration and some reinforcement to reduced the noise that travels through the walls. Our room was incredibly hot and we didn't have the heating turned on, in fact I turned on the air-conditioning in attempt to cool it down.
A lift to get the cases to the 2nd floor would be money well spent.
Cleanliness and friendliness of staff was good, shame about the quality of the room.
We dined in one evening, food was ok.
If you are happy with a clean room and bed and don't mind aging decor then you will probably enjoy sails resort.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Betweenmeals
Hervey Bay
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Slow checkin and check out, impersonal service. The room was clean but very well used and in need of a good revamp and a paint. The decor is really dated. Have stayed at other Quality Hotels and this hotel would be at the bottom end of the scale. There was a problem with my bill a after I checked out, I paid cash on check out and didn't get a receipt, although the chain did refund after several emails.

Room Tip: consider staying elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank frasercoast
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Whilst I agree with many other reviewers, the hotel needs some work, however overall the property is unique in that there is no resort style properties like this in Port Macquarie The resort is right on a marina and you can simply work from your room to the waters edge. The pool is lovely and has a real resort feel. The reaturant again is ideal with fantastic views of the marina. For business it was perfect, I had access to a decent size work area and wifi.

I could not fault the staff, they are extremely friendly and went out of their way to assist me and the rooms were very clean - it seems that there is new bed linen? Not sure if they have new beds.

There are plenty of hotels to choose from in Port Macquarie, but they are concrete buildings with lifts! At Sails I always feel that I am just a short walk from the grass lawns and the water - when you are stuck in the car all day its nice to get some fresh air!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business