“Amazing restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Auckland
“Amazing restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Wonderful hotel with lovely spacious room but what made our stay was the amazing restaurant and bar. Started the evening off with a cocktail in the bar where a lovely friendly gentleman offered to make me his latest special cocktail which was wonderful. We then proceeded into the restaurant where we had reserved a table and brought our own champagne which staff said was ok. They had set up a wonderful table by the window with beautiful special champagne glasses waiting wow! We ordered the degustation menu and were blown away by the quality of food!! even better than our dinner the previous evening at the Hilton sydney glass brasserie. Overall we had an amazing stay at the rydges and we will be back!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rydges_Port, Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi takahae,

Thanks for the great feedback about out restaurant & bar! We do love our degustation menu! Personally the scallops I think are divine! Not to mention the matching wines that go with the five courses mmmmmmm.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon, maybe the boys will have a new cocktail recipe for you to try ;)

Rydges Port Macquarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Frankfurt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

In January 2013, we had a very good two night stay in this hotel. Though not cheap, it is assumingly (one of ) the best places to stay on town. Directly located at the waterfront, it offers good food, a nice bar and FREE wireless in the lobby and restaurant area. From there, you can walk to the harbor, to the restaurant scene and most shopping is also close by. The rooms are not special but ok. We had quite a high price but got a room with view to the back and containers which was not so nice but in the end still ok as we were outside most of the time. But there are better rooms definitely. Bring a your painting equipment to make one of the rocks your own! ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bella1106,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

Yes, the free wifi in the bar & restaurant is a bonus! Pleased to hear you enjoyed some of the great food from our restaurant also.

Hopefully we will see you again soon… maybe a water view room next time?

Cheers,

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Ok 2nd time in 2 months I've stayed here. Paid to stay in a king deluxe, they offered me an upgrade after I asked which was to a 2 bedroom apartment. Was great until I checked out. They charged me on both nights the price for the 2 bedroom apartment. When I questioned it they said, you did get free car park. Wow so they fixed it seeing how angry I was getting. Stayed again in a king deluxe within 3 weeks from my last stay, no upgrade this time. Stayed 2 nights, checked out all was good until a week later my credit card was charged double for my stay. I rang hotel spoke to front office supervisor who didn't apologise but offered to fix it ASAP. 3 days later I called back & the same young lady said "I did get our accounts lady to sort this for you but she's only here certain days of the week. A week later I got a refund. Nice place to stay but never again. Car park charges, Internet charges & reception / front office staff especially front office manager need to be better a lot better

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Monson08
Rydges_Port, General Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi Monson08,

Wow, genuinely sorry to read of your experience, we aim to ensure all of our guests receive a consistently high standard of service.

I have sent you a private message so I can try and resolve and apologise in person.

Kind Regards,

David Capper
Kincumber, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here over New Years . This has been our 6 th visit to this hotel. We also use it as a stop over when traveling north with the kids. We have always been allocated an eastern facing room however this stay we were put over the western side. I was a little worried at first however it was just as nice. My only one criticism was our windows didn't open. I am a fresh air freak and always feel very closed in if we can't get access to fresh air.....the hotel front desk weren't able to relocate us due to being peak season, but they did send up fans to help us out . Other than this is a great place to stay weather it's a holiday or just a stop over.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rydges_Port, Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hey Bin40,

Thanks for making us your regular stop off when travelling up the coast! We're lucky to be in such a good position between Brisbane & Sydney for stop overs!

Appreciate your understanding about the windows too; some of them have been double glazed so as to keep out the excess noise from the street.

Hopefully see you again before New Year!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment on the long weekend. The hotel has a great location on the water in the town centre and the room had magnificent views from the balcony. We had a good dinner at Zebu restaurant. The staff were helpful and friendly however I find the 3.00pm check in time a negative especially for a short stay. (Even if stated in the booking) To be charged $55 per person for an average breakfast was poor value. This was my mistake as I trusted the staff member to offer me the best value. He only gave one option and did not discuss alternatives. These little things are about trust and not the money. The rooms are getting tired with sagging mattresses, stained carpets and dated lounge furniture. The shampoo and conditioner smelt like petroleum products. My view is the hotel would rate 3 stars only - mainly for the view and location.

Room Tip: Room facing the water
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GregBellaVista
Hi GregBellaVista,

Thanks for your feedback. Like you mentioned, we do have the 3pm check-in at the hotel, which in turn comes with the 11am check-out. Apologise if it put you out at all.

Not sure what the $55 breakfast charge was. We have our full buffet breakfast at $27.50p/p. Sorry for any confusion caused; we do aim to ensure all our guests receive a consistently high standard of service.

I hope you enjoyed your long weekend in Port Macquarie and thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had booked 2 nights at Rydges and there was no mention of parking problems on their website. I then read comments on tripadvisor concerning parking so rang up the hotel and was told they could not guarantee secure parking within the hotel..I was told first in first served.As we were arriving late I gathered there would be no parking available.I was told I could park on the street and it would be safe as the police station was nearby.My husband and I decided that this was not acceptable so I rang back and cancelled our booking.The receptionist was very put out and said she could fix something up but still couldn't guarantee parking.I booked at The Observatory and the parking was secure and wonderful.

Room Tip: If you value your car and want secure parking don't stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Xena100bc
Hi Xena100bc,

Really sorry to hear you cancelled your stay with us. Unfortunately when we are at full occupancy it is difficult to get everyone a car space.

Apologies for any hassle you may have experienced and I hope you enjoyed your stay here in Port Macquarie.

Thanks,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location close to all the best pubs, cafes and restaurants. Right near the boardwalk taking to you a short walk to the Main Beach or along the marina. Would definitely stay again.
Only complaint is that we didn't have a balcony but the people next to us and above us did so it got loud at times as you could hear them all on their balconies late afternoon.

• Stayed November 2012
Hey losha85,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are lucky being right in the centre of town!

Hopefully we see you again soon, maybe in a balcony room of your own?