“Excellent service, which was appreciated”
Review of Olives Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Olives Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: OLIVES is open Tuesday to Saturday from 6pm for DINNER. Take Away between 5&6pm only Tuesday TO Thursday. A short 10 minute drive south from the Port Macquarie CBD. OLIVES caters for people with special dietary needs with prior notice. Bookings ADVISED BYO alcohol.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My family from Adelaide was visiting Port Macquarie, based on reviews via 'trip advisor', I chose to celebrate my 50th at 'Olive's'. I was not disappointed. The thing that impressed me most was the friendly service by not only the owners but all staff which made the evening special. The staff went out of their way to ensure that the meals were explained to my teenage children and that everyone was happy with their meals. Meals were very reasonably priced and tasty. I would certainly recommend 'Olive's' to anyone seeking a good Italian meal. Thank you

1  Thank Adele50192

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

After the Trip Advisor reviews, we checked out Olives. It was a busy night. We waited 15 min to have our order taken.
The bruschetta was lovely & fresh. It then was an hour before our main. No waitstaff came to check on us during this time, it was a loooong wait!!
My husband had the Fetticini Carbonara, fresh pasta with a lovely lingering onion taste.
I had the Chicken Cacciatore with rosemary potatoes. This was very homely. A tasty meal. Was sad the potato didn't have any rosemary & was very dry.
The meals were nice. Not the best Italian I've ever had, nor the best customer service.
The chef did apologise for the delay in our meals when paying. A little late after the fact. Has the top Trip Advisor rating left them beyond keeping the customer happy??

OlivesPortMacQuarie, Owner at Olives Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

ChapmanSar, once again we can only apologise to you for the long delay between breads and mains. I wasn't made aware by you that you were dissatisfied with your meal when asked as you paid On the night of your visit we were to capacity seating and as all meals are made fresh to order it is impossible for there not to be any delay. I agree with you that more attention should have been made to you by the wait staff and we will look at this as a development area within the restaurant. Thank you for visiting our restaurant and for passing on your comments.
Carol SCOTT
Owner

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife did her research using Trip Advisor on dining in Port Macquarie and we were looking forward to eating here. We were welcomed nicely by a mature lady who I presume is the owner/ manager. She offered our children a nice surprise if they finished 3/4 of their meals and we noticed that she did a similar offer at an adjacent table. We ordered the calamari, carbonara, bolognese and the lamb ragu. The mains were fantastic with the lamb ragu deserving a special mention: compliments to the chef this was absolutely devine!

Now here comes the part that completely soured our experience. My wife and children were interested in having dessert. Unfortunately the menu does not present any details of the desserts on offer so we were completely at the mercy of the knowledge of the waitress as to what was on offer. After discussing the options with the waitress my wife selected the triple chocolate cake for our children and her to share and I ordered a flat white coffee. When the dessert came out our children immediately dived into it only to frown at the taste. My wife asked them what was wrong and they said that it tasted funny. My wife and I then both had a taste and noticed that it had an alcoholic taste similar to whiskey or baileys for example, in any case there was a definite warming to the back of the throat that only alcohol can give. When the waitress asked how our dessert was going my wife and I responded that there was alcohol in the cake and if we had realised this we would not of selected this for our children. The waitress said that she thought that there was not alcohol in the cake but would check. A few minutes later the owner/ manager (?) came back to our table and gruffly asked who was eating the dessert and then very bluntly stated that there is no alcohol in the cake and then turned around and went into the kitchen before we could suggest that she taste some of the cake that was still at the table. My wife was stunned and I was angry that such a display of poor behaviour bordering could come from someone who initially gave us such a warm welcome in the beginning.

When I went to pay I again expressed my disatisfaction with the triple chocolate cake issue the waitress again said that there was nothing she could do. It was when we were driving back to our apartment that my wife mentioned that the children never did get their surprise or maybe it was the alcohol in the cake that was so vehemently denied by the owner/ manager?

We will not be returning. We will not be recommending this dining establishment to our extended family or friends. I can only dream about that fantastic lamb ragu.

2  Thank foofighter2014
OlivesPortMacQuarie, Owner at Olives Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear foofighter2014, It is indeed sad that you had this experience regarding your dessert.
When the plates came back to the kitchen half eaten I immediately asked your waitress if there was a problem. She forwarded your concern re alcohol in the cake; I then immediately came to your table to assure you that there was NOT any alcohol whatsoever; to this factor I have no reason to lie. Yes we offer a treat to children to eat their meals to wit a "paddle pop" I apologise that the waitress did not follow thru with this item. When your party arrived at 6pm we had just opened for service; by the time you left as you would be aware we were nearly full to capacity and very busy; this is not an excuse but as the chef and owner I still ensured to query and follow up with you personally. The triple chocolate cake to which you refer IS very rich with a chocolate mousse and ganache layer filling smothered in Chocolate crème perhaps it was the richness of the chocolate that was too much .I am sorry that you had this experience and also that you do not wish to return,but thank you for taking the time to comment thru this social media so that we can further improve visitation, making it pleasurable to all patrons.
Carol Scott Owner

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Finally a restaurant that ticks all the boxes in Port Macquarie! Engaging and friendly hosts make you feel very welcome - advising you on all their home made specialities. Authentic Italian meals with all the favourites. We ordered the bruschetta, duck, a veal dish and a pasta - all flavours were superb and a bonus you usually pay extra for, lovely fresh vegetables!! And the tiramisu!!! Divine!! Byo and excellent value.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Dined with friends after Christmas. Owner and waitresses have plenty of personality to make you feel welcome with humour. Food was great, and reasonable in price. Byo an added bonus.

1  Thank CDPort