“Fantastic, Authentic Japanese Food”
Review of Sushiko

Sushiko
Ranked #44 of 228 Restaurants in Port Macquarie
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
South West Rocks, Australia
“Fantastic, Authentic Japanese Food”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Japanese food is my all time favourite food. Admittingly, I have avoided dining at Sushiko because I have been disappointed with most Japanese restaurants in Sydney, and didn't expect much better from a small town restaurant.

My wife is new to the area and is also a big fan of Japanese food. We had limited option. so I decided to give in and finally give this place a chance.

Firstly, I am aware that this place isn't open all the time and the opening hours can vary. I went in earlier in the day on Valentines Day to make a reservation with the expectation that it would be already fully booked, and not surprisingly it was. Feeling defeated and about to turn and walk out the door, the older asian lady (possibly the owner) re-looked through the bookings and managed to squeeze us between earlier reservations. I thought that was excellent customer service on her behalf.

The Meal: My wife and I ordered the Sashimi Platter (Main) which consisted of about 26 pieces of an assortment of raw seafood, the Tako Yaki (Fried Balls of Octopus), Fried Tofu and some Sushi (Shrimp Tempura, Unagi (Eel) Roll). The meals started to arrived relatively quickly (barely got through the first glass of wine). The first thing we started to eat was the Sashimi. The servings were quite generous and best of all, fresh. I would rate the Sashimi very high. Alteast 8/10, and up there with the best I have tasted. The standout was the Scallop which melted in my mouth. I have had Tako Yaki before and love this dish. I was expecting big things and wasn't disappointed. Best I have had so far. I would rate this dish 9/10. The Unagi sushi roll was good, but certainly not the best (6/10). The tempura prawn roll however was excellent and everything I expected (9/10). The prawn was very crispy and the flavours were spot on. The fried tofu was a great and went well with our dishes (7/10), but didn't taste as fresh as the other Fried Tofu I have eaten before.

Overall, I would give the food 8/10, and will have no problem going back. The service was top notch. In addition to the initial contact, the wait staff were very friendly and attentive and have no problem in scoring them a 10/10.

Price: For the above meal, we paid $66.00. The quality of food and price make this place excellent value for money.

Recommendation: If you haven't eaten Japanese food before, this place is a great place to start and will give an benchmark on what good quality Japanese food should be like. If you have eaten good authentic Japanese food before, than this place would be an excellent substitute.

The restaurant is BYO, but we took a nice bottle of Mcguigans Sparkling White which went well with the dishes. Although they claim to charge for corkage fee, we weren't charged on this occasion. I believe this place is best for dining in, as I think the quality will be lost if the food isn't consumed immediately, and judging my some reviews, that appears to be the case. Considering it's a small restaurant, have limited operating hours, and growing popularity, it's best to book well in advance as you may not get as lucky as me.

• Visited February 2014

“Great Japanese Food”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Had dinner there last night, the food was superb and the service attentive. Absolute palate pleasure...

• Visited January 2014
“Yummy yummy yummy ”
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Yummo!!! The dinner box is so delicious!! Enough food to fill anyone and very delicious!! Fresh sashimi, authentic flavours by the one and only ko

Port Macquarie, Australia
“Cannot understand why people whinge ....”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Small restaurant, great food at a very reasonable price will definitely recommend it to family and friends visiting over Christmas. My wife had two entree size meals, I had a main the sushi sashimi "mix" and enjoyed very morsel. The service was good, and the number of patrons both seated and takeaway suggests it is better than those who whinged about something negative. May be they should get a life.

• Visited November 2013
“Sushiko Port Macquarie”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great little Japanese restaurant serving a good range of authentic Japanese cuisine.
Friendly and fast service if your eating in or taking away - particularly good for a lunch meeting.

Visited July 2013