“Always Pleasant”

Dining options: Reservations
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Always Pleasant”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Love this little Japanese restaurant it really is a hidden gem. Food is always good here. Gets very busy so if you want to eat here please book to save disappointment. Fresh and consistent every time. Service is wonderful. Will definitely eat here again.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Susanna W

“Not good Japanese!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in Japan for a few years and now living in a town with no Japanese restaurants, I get excited when staying somewhere I can get my "J-fix". Sadly, I should have opted for pizza! The edamame was overcooked (NEVER experienced this anywhere before), tempura was oily and over battered, and the chicken katsu my partner ordered was actually served sans advertised tonkatsu sauce. So basically $24 for little more than KFC. We didn't realise until we got the takeaway back to our room and weren't going to trek back! And the reason we got takeaway in the first place was that we couldn't get a table. Absolutely unbelievable considering the quality of the food. Worst Japanese I've ever eaten in Australia.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Katee30
Sydney, Australia
“UNHELPFUL STAFF ON THE PHONE”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Rang up from Sydney to see if there was a menu available online or if they could send one by email but the girl who answered was very unfriendly and just send NO DONT THINK SO to all my questions about getting a menu before we booked. If thats the type of service in the restaurant then we won't be booking!

• Visited June 2013
dubbo
“The service was friendly & helpful, the servings generous, and the sashimi wonderful.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had lunch there twice when in the area on the recommendation of a friend. It's always busy & does a brisk takeaway trade especially with sushi. The service was friendly & helpful, the servings generous, and the sashimi wonderful. My partner was very happy with his meals too. A real find.

Visited May 2013
Charlottesville, Virginia
“How can so many people be soon wrong?”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

First let me preface this with, my 11 year old son and I are HUGE sushi fans. We look forward to going to places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Vegas, etc to get the best fresh sushi in the world. We'd love to be able to go to Japan just to taste the sushi of Jiro Ono, and maybe, one day, we will, if we survive the sushi of Australia, first.

Our second night in Port Macquarie, we had a strong craving for good sushi, even mediocre sushi. Sushiko was rated so highly we were excited to try it out. Turns out, it was the 2nd worst sushi I've had in my life. Actually, I have to correct myself here. The sushi was so bad, we sent it back, with the exception of the Tobiko, which my son ate before i could rip it out of his hands. it was very dry, extremely salty and fishy smelling, but he said he liked it and I wasn't going to rip it out of his mouth. But, I did return the brown, slimy, oozing uni because, well, the description makes it pretty obvious. Everything was either over mayonnaise-y, over cooked or too old. The best thing I had there was the beer I bought across the street (BYO everywhere I the area). The servers were all very friendly, pretty and tried to be helpful. My husband left a very generous tip, which is customary in his nice American Jewish family. I'm not Jewish, but am a hefty tipper myself, plus I want to plug my wonderful husband and his familial upbringing. Sorry Sushiko, horrible food. I can only imagine what the genuine sushi chefs would say about this food. Edamame overcooked, the gyoza or dumplings like leather, tempura greasy, miso soup bland. When I asked the server about what kind of fish was available, the chef only said the same three, over and over. I can only feel for the patrons who ate that fish, since I got the feeling it was old.

I have to say, though, I was incredulous how busy the restaurant was. I'm not sure what to make of it. And incredulous that another poster who claims they've eaten at some of the the best sushi restaurants in the world would even put this restaurant in a class with these revered sushi chefs.
My recommendation, eat at the KFC up the street over this restaurant.

Btw, my stomach is making some seriously disconcerting sounds as I write this. It can only mean trouble.

• Visited June 2013