“One of the top 5 worst restaurants in Port Macquarie”
Review of The Breakwall Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Australian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I went to the breakwall for lunch and it was terrible. The service was horrible, the waiters were rude and had no knowledge of the menu. Everytime we asked them a simply question, they would have to go ask someone else. My mother and myself both had a $10 meal, and let me just say it wasn't even worth that. I had the pasta of the moment and it had no flavour, and was smothered with oil. My mother had the gluten free ceasar wrap and it was pathetic; it had a few bits of letuce, a piece of chicken and bacon, a little bit of cheese and no dressing. I would not go back there, I would not recommend this restaurant to a friend and I would rate it one of the worst restaurents in Port Macquarie!

Reviewed March 11, 2011

My husband and I visited this restaurant with great expectations, they were greatly misplaced. The view is wonderful and the seating very comfortable but that is where the enjoyment of our experience ended.
Service was slow and when our meals arrived, although mine was ok, my husband was amazed to find on the second piece of his fried s&p calamari that there was a fly, not just on it, but FRIED ONTO IT. This turned his appetite off and we immediately informed the waiter who said that it wasn't good and he would take it away, 'do you want to order something else?', not sorry sir what can I give you as an appology but would you like to roll the dice and pay for another dish that may or may not be sanitary?
He declined and we shared what was left of my meal.
We were then absolutely astonished that when we went to pay our bill the waiter acted like a hero because he wasn't charging us for my husbands meal.
WHAT?????
Of course not, he only ate 1 piece and then discovered the fly, of course you aren't going to charge for his meal. We were honestly astonished they didn't comp our entire meal let alone just his.
We will not be back

Reviewed November 21, 2010

This place is one of the few spots in Port where you can see the ocean while you eat. It's a great location and a stylish venue with tasty food in plentiful portions, but the service is dismissive to the point of rudeness, and the problem seems to stem from the maitre d, who appears to hate his job and despise his customers. I've been there for morning tea and lunch, and I won't be going back in a hurry. It's not for nothing that the Milk Bar two doors up is always full: they smile and are polite!

Reviewed November 15, 2010

We had a nice dinner here on a Thursday night, it was quiet with just a few other couples inside.
The restaurant has an open vista towards the beach which makes the place airy but the windows can be shut in times of bad weather.
The food was excellent much to my surprise, we had the sour dough bread - with olive oil & balsamic reduction, dukkha , which was tasty
we went straight for mains, the missus had char grilled swordfish with smashed chats, broccolini & salsa verde sauce, ($25) and i went for the surf + turf - beef rib eye on potato roesti with balmain bug, prawns & garlic cream sauce ($33) but just about everything on the menu sounded good.
They had wine by the glass at great prices and they gave a full glass as well which was great.
overall id recommend this place for a nice night out and its just a lift ride away from your room if staying at the observatory

1  Thank mrmtee
Reviewed October 1, 2010

One could tolerate ordinary service if the food was outstanding or the prices reflected the service level, or even the quality of the main meal (average).

This restaurant is in one of the nicest hotels in town ("The Observatory"), on arguably the best beach, with a great vista. This restaurant is worth a miss, we won't return.

@ the last visit we were met with the same sour maitre 'd who presented as though we, the incoming patrons, were an inconvenience. We literally felt uncomfortable and that we were an annoyance to him. Moreover, getting his attention in a timely fashion despite being one of the few customers who dared to enter, was another feat in itself.

The entree was, it must be said, delightful and well worth the pain of the experience of eating here for a second time. The main I had was a pretty ordinary steak so i was disappointed. The other 2 meals (pasta) were large, and good.

The place has great potential - change or train the staff (owner?), and ensure greater consistency in food quality and it might be a challenger for the more sophisticated - and expensive mind you - restaurants just down the road. However, by pushing this level of price point, it's out of its league.

That said, if you want to enjoy annoying service, a Fawlty Towers experience, and the chance to feel you've spent your money with someone who seemed he couldn't care less about his business not least if you returned, you can't go past this place.