“Very comfortable, friendly staff, good location”

Shelly Beach Resort
Sydney, Australia
“Very comfortable, friendly staff, good location”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at the Shelly Beach Resort in Port Macquarie for a long weekend to attend a wedding. Very pleased with our accommodation, for the money it was great value. Very clean & comfortable and the staff were very friendly. The townhouse had a well equiped kitchen if you wanted to cook. Good location as the beach was a very short walk away through the rain forest on a boardwalk. It was very quiet and we had no trouble sleeping, there was a ceiling fan and air conditioning in the bedroom. There is a little take away down the road for a cheap brekkie or across the road at Sea Acres has a nice cafe`I would highly recommend this place for families, good pool area and a play room for the kids.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dawnmarch, Owner at Shelly Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it makes our job very rewarding when we get such great feedback. And I totally agree with you that the brekkie down the road is a little gem followed by a lovely walk down to our coastal walk at Shelly Beach. I am sure we will be seeing you again and we look forward to having you back as a guest of ours.

All the very best

Managers Of SBR.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here as a family of 4 for 2 nights in November in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment was large, bright and airy. The only fault I had was that it rained heavily one night and the rain is VERY loud on the metal roof. Luckily our children are heavy sleepers so it didn't bother them.

Dawn and Ray were very helpful offering advice on places to eat and visit. They really took the time to ensure we had a pleasant stay.

Port Macquarie was a lovely place to visit. Make sure you go to the Koala hospital.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dawnmarch, Owner at Shelly Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a great review, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and I would have to agree with going to visit the Koala park its great for the entire family.

I hope you enjoyed you visit to Australia and that you go home with lots of fond memories of our gorgeous town Port Macquarie!!!

Happy Travels .... Regards Dawn and Ray
sydney
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A little gem on the mid north coast,near a quiet little beach and opposite Sea Acres,this is a great spot to stay.Has a nice pool, games room and even a tennis court out the back,with a rainforest gully behind.

Room Tip: we stayed in No 3 near the entrance, couldnt fault it, but i guess the others are just as good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank craig s
Dawnmarch, Owner at Shelly Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello Craig,

What a great compliment to get on the 1st of Jan 2013!!!! Its going to be a great year and thanks for starting it off so nicely. We hope to have you come back and enjoy another stay with us some day soon . All the best for the New Year .

Take Care

Mortdale
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked a townhouse few weeks in advance through WOTIF and got a good reasonable price. The place is just across the Sea Acres rain forest park and the restaurant there is excellent. While the room is big enough for a small family the place is average as the carpets in the bedrooms are urgently needing a steam clean, the sofa strongly smells, the kitchen smell carry and since the bedrooms are located upstairs you have to carry your luggage through the small spiral stairs making the exercise somehow perilous. The sounds of kookaburras and chirping birds made us forget about these issues and in the end enjoyed the stay very much. The administrators are very friendly and accommodating but could not be found in the reception office at the designated times in the morning or afternoon. The children playground area should have a sign for no smoking as a lady with two young girls was there puffing a way with no concern or respect for others.
The tennis court has past its best looks and while in good order needs the branches and leave to be pick up to avoid anybody having a fall or else.

The best of the place is that is close to the beaches, the lighthouse and the town center with drives of no more than 15 to 20 minutes, if you are lucky, you could even spot some whales in the coast!

Room Tip: Check the room before you take your luggage in and see if you can put up with the smell. Unit 5 is t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dawnmarch, Owner at Shelly Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your feed back and your review. We heavily rely on this feedback be it good or bad. And as you can see from our previous reviews we have never had such a problem. It is unfortunate that you never gave us the opportunity to assist with any of your findings at the start of your holiday. If you had of come to us upon arrival we would of loved to have moved you into another unit. I managed to go through the unit you stayed in and found the couch to be ok?? The throw cushion on the couch however wasn't up to our normal standards and for this I truly appologise, i believe the odour you mentioned may have come from this ??? It must have been over looked by cleaning staff which is not good enough. But thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Regarding the office hours, I am sorry that i wasn't at reception when you needed me. We have our contact phone numbers on the office door because we are always contactable by phone 24/7 . I had also mentioned to you that unfortunately my husband had to go to Melbourne last minute and therefore I was down a staff member . This was very unusual circumstances for us because I was running the business on my own. But I do need to stress that while the office is there it is not the case that we are always sitting at reception. We have duties around the resort like gardening , pool cleaning etc that require us to be elsewhere. I have also taken onboard your comment about the playground and I have placed a "Non Smoking" sign down there. May I suggest that in future you do need to take it upon yourself to ask the person smoking to politely not to smoke near your family. You also mentioned in your review that the town centre is 15-20 minutes away , can I just say that for any one reading this town centre is only 5 minutes away by car ( 5 kilometres ) . I hope this helps and that you get to come back and experience our lovely kookaburras and our great resort again .

Arrawarra, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Have just come back from a wonderful weekend in Port Macquarie - one that was made all the more enjoyable by the quality of our accommodation. Shelly Beach resort is a real find - quiet, beautifully clean and so reasonably priced. Dawn was as friendly and helpful a manager as I have encountered, the whole ambience of the place was laidback,peaceful,relaxed - just what I was looking for.We will certainly be visiting again.

Hello,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I couldn't agree more with you " Shelly Beach Resort is definitely a real find" . I actually get to live here so how lucky am I . And your kind words about my management skills gave me a big head so thanks very much!!!!! (haha) . We cant wait to have you as our guest again , take care and until next time .

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Only stayed here for one night, but we definately want to return now that we have discovered it. We had a two bedroom townhouse , very comfortable and spotless, overlooking the heated pool. Rates were great and owners very helpful and friendly. Great place in a quiet location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello,

Thanks so much for a wonderful review considering you only had the one night here that is a great compliment for us!!!! We are looking forward to having you back as our guests in the future. Don't forget to call us direct and get another great rate. We have some wonderful mid week specials throughout the year also.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just got back from a trip up north and stayed that the Shelly Beach Resort for one night to break up the trip home. The hosts are lovely, friendly people who make you feel very welcome. As we were only there for one night and arrived late in the afternoon we didn't use the pool, games area or tennis court but had we been there longer I have no doubt we would have done so. I liked the location as it is out of the main drag, but still within easy access to town when needed and is close to the beach. I found booking directly with the resort saved me $20 a night from the cost advertised via wotif and other third party sites. The townhouse was very clean and comfortable with nice natural light and was fully self contained including a washing machine and drier - which was very handy. The only slight drawback would be the spiral staircase to access the bathroom and bedrooms. Though as my kids are older (not toddlers) this wasn't a major problem, just a minor challenge for carrying suitcases up on arrival and departure.

Hello Cathy,

Thank you for writing a great review for our resort based on the fact you only stayed one night. I would love you to come back and take advantage of our facilities here at the resort in the future. And please don't hesitate to ask us for assistance to get your luggage up the stairs, after all that's what Ray and those muscles are for !!!!!!!(haha)