“Do Yourself A Favour - Stay Somewhere Else!”

Beachside Holiday Apartments
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Was looking for an apartment with laundry facilities and this was the only one I could find available at short notice - no wonder... Driving into the property and we noticed how filthy the car park was - leaves and cobwebs everywhere. We then walked up 2 flights of stairs to our apartment and even in the stairwell there was cobwebs - I didn't want to touch anything. The air conditioning units were outside each room and they were dirty and rusty...
We went into the room and the smell of bleach from the cleaning products was very strong, the room felt damp, clean but damp. The bathroom shower curtains and tiles were mouldy - new shower curtains are a cheap fix but would have made a huge difference.
There is a washing machine and dryer in the apartment - unfortunately there was no detergent to use so I had to walk to shops to buy my own - luckily it was a short walk.
The beds. Yuck. I have never slept in a hotel without cotton sheets until now - these sheets were revolting - besides the overwhelming smell of bleach, they were a cheap damp feeling fabric that made me itch - I ended up wearing long pants tucked into my socks and my husbands hoodie (over my head) so I didn't have to feel the sheets on my skin. It was revolting.
We asked to connect to the internet but at $8 per hour we decided not to...ridiculous prices.
Finally the next day we left and when I arrived home I realised that I had lost my purse so I called the Beachside who apparently had a look around the room and car park and couldn't find my purse so I then spent the next few days calling around police stations, service stations, and then RTA, banks etc the have all my ID cancelled and reissued. 2 weeks later I received a call from Beachside saying they found my purse under the couch...actually another gust found it and handed it in (in 2 weeks they obviously hadn't cleaned under the couches themselves). They would send my purse back when I send them a prepaid satchel. After going through the time and expense of everything - they still made me pay to get my property back.
I would absolutely never stay at this property again - I would rather sleep in my car...

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Ariane215
beachsidepm, Manager at Beachside Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your review on Beachside Holiday apartments.
We are always happy to receive feedback from our guests so that we may continue to improve the facilities and services here.
I apologise for the lack of cleanliness in your apartment and sorry that you felt that Laundry detergent should have been supplied. All our apartments are self catering, however we do provide complimentary toiletries to see you through your first day.
All our bed Linen is a fine quality cotton, so I cannot explain the problem with the sheeting on your bed, but I am sorry that this happened, but I have never experienced this problem before now.
Regarding your lost purse - this was found wedged down the side of the lounge and I apologize for the inconvenience of your "lost cards". We have a huge amount of personal belongings left behind, and being a "one man" show it is difficult to get away to the Post Office to send items back and then claim postage, therefore, we ask that guests send us a pre paid envelope so we can return their items promptly.
I hope that next time you are in Port Macquarie, that you stay with us again so that we can make amends and enjoy yourselves.
Neroli

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Units are showing their age, Not many units give you a view of the Ocean.
The units are build in a Horseshoe configuration around the swimming Pool, this
makes the sound echo between the buildings, consequently when there are a couple small children in the pool ( screaming ) it is not pleasant to have the door from the unit open let alone sit on the balcony. I guess it is not bad when you have small children, but definetly not a good location if you like a bit of quiet relaxing ocean view. The Host was very helpful and it has good parking facility, only a short walk to the beach. Overall a bit average, not the cleanest units I have been to, and Units are a bit dark.

Room Tip: Ok for family with small children
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review on Beachside Holiday apartments.
I'm sorry the pool area was noisy with small children, so could I recommend next time that we locate you in an apartment away from the pool.
*I do certainly apologise for the lack of cleanliness and for all future guests this is not acceptable, and please contact reception immediately should there be a problem so that we may rectify any issue for you.
At Beachside we have a number of apartments that are very light and airy, others are darker (which lots of guests like for sleeping in and resting).... may I suggest that when booking next time please request your choice of apartment.
I hope to see you again at Beachside and I will endeavour to make sure all is well.
Neroli Reid

Reviewed April 9, 2012

This was the least exciting of four places we stayed on our recent driving trip and the kids and wife weren't thrilled when we got in to the room. It was relatively clean and spacious but very dated and musty and are in need of a repaint. Basic necessities like soap and shampoo weren't included which you'd expect given that we paid over $200 for the room. The car park area needs a clean up with a few trips to the dump. Not the worst place you could stay in Port Macquarie but poor for the money we paid. The location gave us a five minute drive into town with a few shops on the corner and the view from the apartment was not the beach but of the wall of the next door building even though we were up on a higher floor. The only plus is that the new manager looks like she's trying to improve on the previous management and is very friendly. Driving around Port Macquarie I would look at Sandcastle or The Observatory first, location and presentation were much better.

Room Tip: Out of approximately 25 rooms there are only probably two rooms to ask for and they are at the front...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tevman

Thank you for your time to review our holiday apartments at Beachside.
I apologise that Housekeeping overlooked the soap and shampoo for your bathroom, but please next time just drop into reception for any such problem. Please also note at the time of your stay we were in the midst of moving one on-site manager out and another on-site manager in, so we are sorry if the car park was untidy, but this was entirely due to the above circumstances.
At Beachside there are only 3 apartments that do not have a view, but being a very popular place to stay I recommend that you book as early as possible to obtain your choice of apartment.
Neroli Reid

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Arrived at the apartments which I had stayed at 3 times prior expecting a great Easter break which I had purchased for my partners birthday. A lovely stay previous times.
Arrived to find a full scale party in the pool area with drinkers with beer botttles in a no glass area on the Friday afternoon. (was the managers family or friends staying for the weekend) On the Saturday we ventured out and returned after a great day to teenagers sitting on the balcony with legs dangling 3 storeys above the drive way drinking alcohol which was a great backpackers look (the managers family or friends again). The manager had overflowed our spa bath while cleaning it while we were out due to the black mould surrounding the spa jets which we had asked to be cleaned due to health concerns. The carpet in the hall and main bedroom was saturated, the bedding had soaked up water and we had to stay overnight with towels and blankets on the floor to soak up the large amount of water while climbing into bed with wet feet.
We were not given a half rate or any remuneration at all . We left early the next day in disgust. Im sure the owner of the unit no. 22 would have been very upset!!!! We stayed when the units were under previous management a lovely couple. The apartments are very tired and the managers unit makes the complex look like its a low economic housing estate. I would never go back again! A real shame as a lovely spot. Oh and take milk as you have all the tea and coffee sachets etc but you dont get milk! sad for the rate you pay compared to other nicer hotels in Port Macquarie and thats were ill be headed next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChelleP64
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We have just come back from a fantastic weekend at the apartments. The kids loved the heated pool, and the close proximity to the beach.The apartment was spacious and very well equipped, and met all our needs
We will definatley be back..Next time hopefully for a longer stay!!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Port Macquarie was first stop showing our UK relative the best of Oz's east coast. On booking we had requested - if available - an apartment 'with a view'. On arrival, we were ushered to the top floor beachfront apartment with full use of the rooftop balcony complete with barbecue and sunloungers - and that magnificent view! Within moments resident manager Neroli appeared again with a bottle of champagne, declaring 'it must be happy hour'. That welcome set us up for a wonderful short stay. The apartments are clean and comfortable, perhaps a little sparsely accessorised, and certainly represent excellent value for money. Close by are restaurants and cafes, some excellent beach walks and just a short drive away the beach camel rides which are the highlight of the visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jenwren57
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I rented a 2 bedroom apartment for $159. On the 2nd floor at the front of the property, it was quite modern, with a large TV and a balcony with a great view of the beach. Fully self contained perfect for cooking at home.

PROS:
- Beachfront location, right across the road from Flynn's beach.
- Neroli, the resident manager, was cheery and helpful.

CONS:
- Short drive into town if you want a night out.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank neb