Koala Tree Motel
Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have written a review a little after we travelled the Koala Tree motel but I felt I needed to after reading the other poor reviews.

I stayed here a 2 nights whilst visiting the area with my boyfriend, we were taking on a road trip of Aus and stayed in lots of motels, hotels and b and b’s along the way.

The Koala Tree Motel was by far our favourite, so much so that we are booking to stay again in December.

Upon checking in we were greeted by friendly staff, we were offered milk and they were really patient and helped with the key pad to the rooms as I struggle with technology!

The owner’s dogs were really cute and friendly which added to the homely feeling which after 3 weeks travelling was most appreciated.

Our room was a deluxe with Jacuzzi. It was clean and felt really luxurious for a motel, the seating area was spacious and the bathroom was large too with a TV that you could watch from the bath!

We were lucky enough to have breakfast on our own in the mornings and could take full advantage of the toaster and facilities. Unfortunately we weren't able to use the pool as the days we were there poured with rain but it looked gorgeous.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here on our way to Byron Bay, great comfortable rooms, had all we needed for our stop over, would go back again. A little difficult to find entry, missed the turn off, but no drama. The key pad entry to the rooms a great asset too! Rooms were clean and beds were nice and comfortable

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank happycouple121111
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Compact, clean and tidy motel. Floorboards clearly transmit noise, we arrived at 11pm as a family for just the night stay on our journey north, was completely shocked to get a knock on the door at 6.30 am from the manager telling us to stop our children from moving about in the room as it was noisy for others.
Having said that, its an appropriate point to stop through as I think its well run otherwise (even if the manager is inexperienced from a young family point of view)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank nudels
JamesDanton, General Manager at Koala Tree Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Not to put too fine a point on things, but I have been managing this motel for approximately fifteen years. I have had an Overnighter class room right next to my bedroom for all of that time and it has been occupied by small families with children. I have NEVER been witness to the kind of noise that was coming out of the room at that hour.

As this guest's review corroborates, at just after 6.00am one morning I was woken up by cacophonous, concussive thuds, bangs, bashes and thumps loud enough to rattle the framed posters on my wall. Thinking it would stop I tried to sleep through. Not a chance. This kept going for about half an hour before I could stand it no more and pulled myself out of bed to ask the guests if they would kindly keep the noise down. I was told by this guest that he has children and that this is when they get up in a way that suggested I should just put up with their din at that most inappropriate hour. I left it at that, knowing I was starting my day early as his displayed indifference to others was overwhelming and with that the guest went back to his making no effort to calm his children from their activities of jumping, running and screaming.

Luckily, there wasn't a guest in the adjoining room otherwise I would have been making apologies on his behalf. And you were shocked that someone would dare ask you to curb your raucous children? Rude, just rude and when asked to keep the noise down to be told that you have children and that that was the time they got up? Outstandingly arrogant, sir.

I don't usually have any issues with children. They usually enjoy their stay, play with my dogs and cats and don't disturb others. Their parents are usually also well aware that there are others around who want to enjoy the peace and quiet that we have here and act like responsible parents. Usually.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a funeral to attend and needed to book somewhere on short notice. The manager's telephone manner was lovely and he was very helpful. We got in a little late and after checking in, went to park the car. We had a few dramas finding a car park relatively close to the room. I'm not one to leave no space for others but I had a computer to take into the room and it was raining. I wound up parking next to reception. The room was nice - clean and tidy. Couldn't find the TV remote but that wasn't really an issue. All in all, the stay was nice and I would recommend it as a good budget motel.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the units close to reception (No 1). It was fine.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ManeStreetHair
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in the motel for one night. There was a single bunk and queen bed in our room.
The mini bar was well stocked, and has a good sized fridge. The bathroom was modern and clean.
I am very fussy but couldn't find any fault with cleanliness. There was traffic noise as the room we were in is on the road side although we still had a comfortable sleep.
There was an extra charge on my credit card that I discovered a month later for minibar items, which we didn't use but it was credited back after good communication with the manager.
We found the staff to be pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KLoves2travel2
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on our way up the cost.

Easy to find, friendly staff and a well equipped and cheap motel room made Koala Tree perfect for our one night stay.

The rooms were modern and clean and the mini bar was very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We left Sydney and stayed at this motel., book in on line sorryest thing we ever did
charged an extra $15.00 for early check-in - floors had more water than the swimming pool -
tap in bathroom was hanging off - floor in bathroom was saturated - towels were damp -
no milk for tea & coffee - would liked to have had an early morning swim but could not get through the mud (in the swimming pool) so why pay for facilites that you can't use...

Room Tip: don't bother - stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank dennis s
JamesDanton, General Manager at Koala Tree Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Once again, another guest who turned up, without any prior warning, twenty five minutes after check-out and demanded to check -in NOW. Yes, we do charge an additional fee for early check-in. This is due to the fact that we have to move all of our staff away from what they were already doing somewhere else to be able to accommodate a guest who, despite giving no notice of their intent to check-in early and holding a external booking site confirmation stating that check-in isn't until 2pm, wants to check-in NOW. Not to mention three extra hours use of our facilities that other guests don't get. We do the best we can in this situation and given the abrupt nature of this guests' arrival, we do try and expedite the cleaning process and if in this hurry to accommodate the guests' wishes the bathroom floor is a little damp after having been mopped twenty seconds earlier (I know because you asked me to come and clean it up and I gladly got down on my hands and knees with a rag and did so) that is an unfortunate side effect. With ANY warning, even fifteen minutes, we could have been better prepared.

I can't speak to the towels being damp (although that seems unlikely given that our towels are laundered in-house and then hand folded) as I wasn't told, but if I was, this is another one of those issues that can be resolved within moments, the same can be said for the milk issue but once again this seems unlikely as guests are offered milk upon check-in, by me.

As for the pool, this guest arrived during the Port Macquarie floods at the end of February where the torrential rain (lovely weather for a swim?) and swolen rivers saw the main street under water and our lovely swimming pool flooded with torrential mud run-off from a neighbouring property. In the days following, our pool suffered a broken drain pipe sequel to the mud slide and has since been damaged and will be out of action for probably the next couple of months whilst under repair. I give my condolences to any guests who have found this as much of an inconvenience as we have and can only say that repairs are underway and hopefully will not take too long. If this may be an issue for you, please contact us to confirm the status of the pool as repairs proceed.

Just remember Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, '...all you do is call me, I'll be anything you need...' or if Paul Simon is your guy, you can even call me Al. If you're having troubles and need something, just ask. That's why I'm there, to help you out if you need it.