“just off the hwy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Mid North Coast
“just off the hwy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is a great spot to stay as you travel the hwy, nice room and very little traffic noise
15 minute walk to irish bar good menu then another 5 mins to shops
should have got breakfast but when we got up reception closed no one about left keys in box at 08.30 hrs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here on our way up to Byron Bay. Paid $89 for a double room. Fantastic service booking the room. Rooms were spotless. Lots of little touches like old school Nintendo consoles to play. Breakfast was really tasty and when they were running late they called us early to let us know. Hotel is situated a little way away from the beach but at $90 per night it is definitely worth staying here. You can still walk to town and the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms are all on one level but there is a row set back behind the others which may be quieter. That...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Virginifer
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Koala Tree Motel for 1 night whilst travelling from Brisbane to Sydney, looks are deceiving as it didn't look that great from the outside but our room was really nice, spotlessly clean and everything you needed. There was also free wi fi which was great. Would definately recommend this motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in the standard double room with my two small dogs, and was immediately impressed with the cleanliness of the room. I think there are a number of hotel operators who could learn a lesson or two here!

The bed was lovely and comfortable, and even though the hotel is right on the highway, it was remarkably quiet.

My only complaint would be the gravel driveways which were quite noisy with cars coming and going, but otherwise, highly recommended.

Also, if you get a chance, there is a lovely Thai restaurand about 500m down the road - see my other review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Burnie, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We booked a room online and when the manager checked us in I discovered that we would be staying at another location across town. I had chosen the facility because it was close to the family we were visiting, but despite the inconvenience we went to the other address. Upon arrival, we discovered two unrestrained small dogs barking and behaving aggressively. The backyard was also littered with dog faeces. We thought the dogs were in a different yard so we entered by the front door, and found the kitchen to be in an unkempt state – the fridge and stove were dirty and there was a large crack in the laundry wall; the kitchen windows were also filthy. I called the manager and told him the dogs were present and he asked whether that was a problem. I replied that my son is autistic and petrified of dogs. I stated my belief that we should have been warned about the dogs, and was told that I should have expected dogs at a pet friendly facility. I replied that I understood what pet friendly meant but believed that pets being kept there should not impact on other guests. I then asked that we be allocated different accommodation, or be refunded our tariff so we could find alternative accommodation. I was told that the manager was not prepared to refund on the grounds that the dogs were present. I then told him I would contact wotif.com, which I did. The person I spoke to said she would discuss it with the manager of the facility; she called back shortly to inform me that the manager had agreed to relocate us.
We returned to the facility and I placed the key on the desk. The following conversation ensued:
Manager: you’re back
Me: Yes, we can’t stay there. Wotif tells me you are going to allocate another room.
Manager: well it behoves me to do so although you knew it was a pet friendly motel
Me: no I didn’t
Manager: you said on the phone you understood it was a pet friendly motel. You obviously don’t read.
Me: I said that after you told me; I said I understand pet friendly but these dogs were behaving aggressively
Manager: Did you look at them? They are no bigger than 30cm.
Me: Small dogs are often the most aggressive. Do you know which breed is most likely to bite? I’m an ED nurse and research has shown that more dog bites are inflicted by Chihuahuas than any other breed
Manager: well I suggest you don’t put any part of your body in a Chihuahua’s mouth
Me: that’s not clever and it’s not funny; you are being patronising. I just think you should have warned us that the dogs were present.
Manager: You should have warned me your son has special needs

Me: I fail to see the relevance; it’s not like he is physically disabled and it’s never been an issue in countless other facilities.
Manager: 99% of the population are not afraid of dogs; therefore being afraid of dogs is a special need
Me: Look, I think the best option would just be to refund us the tariff because your attitude gives me the impression that you will allocate us the smallest, crappiest room you have
Manager: That’s an idea
Me: You’re neither funny nor clever; you’re rude and patronising. I would like a refund, so I can get out of here.
Manager: I told you I’m not giving you a refund just because there were dogs on the property.
Me: Get me Wotif on the phone; I’m not discussing this with you any further
He then stated he would give me a refund saying “You’re a horrible lady and I don’t want people like you on my property”
I told him the you the feeling was mutual.
The manager then went to the back office and returned with $140.00. When he handed it to me I said “It was $149.00”. He returned with $9.00 and asked me “What do you do when you take your son out in public? Put a bag over his head in case there are any dogs around? Or do you just keep him in a box?” I was horrified at such an ignorant and discriminatory remark
I replied sarcastically “Yes...yes, that’s what we do. Just give me the rest of my money so I can leave”
He closed his hand on the remaining money and when I picked up the key from the desk, he attempted to physically remove it from me by bending my fingers back. I repeated my request for the rest of the money and he said “I might choose not to” I replied “Well, I might choose to call the police” He then handed me the remaining money and said “I have your credit card details” which I perceived as a threat, so I informed him that I would contact my bank immediately to prevent him accessing funds.
This is the absolute worst incidence of discrimination to which we have been subjected in over 14 years of raising our beautiful (autistic) boy. So angry and disgusted!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank KarenT1962
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed in a standard double room for $99 per night. Rooms are big with separate kitchen/living area and bedroom. It has recently been renovated. James at reception was very friendly and helpful. The motel is located about a 10-15 min walk from the town centre. Free wifi worked well. Parking spaces are pretty tight. This wasn't an issue for us as it was quiet when we were there but might be troublesome when busier.

Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrara, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed here recently with my family ( 2 small boys and wife) in a family room. The room configuration was great and had 3 separate rooms which included large master room with TV, large lounge room with extra comfy couch and 2 single beds and a large kitchen with dining table.
It was clean and the beds were comfy with nice linen. The main TV was great with Austar with all the channels and super fast free WI-fi to top it off. Mini bar prices were cheap. The only down size was small bathroom but suited us fine for quick stop over. Door security was a bit of a worry as there was no chain, etc on the inside. Under cover parking was also a bonus however there was limited spaces. All in all a great motel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family