“Good hostel”

Port Macquarie Backpackers
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Good hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was our first hostel in Australia so we weren't sure what to expect. It was the cheapest hostel of our trip but it was one of the better ones, and I would say that what we paid was about the right price for what we got. We had checked in advance that we would be able to park and were pleased to find that the car park was empty. There was someone there to greet us and he was very friendly, he knew who we were and he was expecting us. He remembered to take off the online deposit which we had already paid, without us having to remind him, which none of the other hostels did. He gave us a quick tour of the place and a run through the dos and don'ts and this only took about 5 minutes - he was great because it was everything we needed to know without taking up too much of our time. He told us about the free internet and the pay-as-you-go internet which was a really good idea and we used both during our stay. There was also tea and toast for breakfast included in the price which was really good. He did ask for us not to bring excessive amounts of alcohol back but I don't blame him for that! Our rooms were through the pool/snooker table area, which was a bit strange as the this area had no windows and the walls were dark so it felt quite dingy and initially I was worried about noise from this area. In actual fact there was no noise from this area - all of the noise came from the road outside! The windows are pretty flimsy and could do with freshening up as I am a heavy sleeper and the traffic noise managed to wake me up a couple of times in the night. You probably don't experience this in all of the rooms but we were on the ground floor in the corner room and so 2 of our 4 walls had busy roads outside. We were also really really hot in the room and didn't feel we could open the window because of the traffic noise. The pillows are a bit flimsy and I didn't really feel like the very very thin curtains protected my modesty when I was changing as I could see the outline of trucks and cars through the curtains and I had this horrible feeling the could see me!! All that said, I think this was a good hostel, and it fitted my expectations based on the description and based on the price. The loo/shower area was excellent and the bed itself was clean and comfortable. There was a very friendly atmosphere and this is obviously created by the owner/manager who always seems to be available for a chat/questions, no matter what time it is.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We only stopped in Port Macquarie for a night and are glad we did. There is much to do if you feel like it, the hostel's location is not bad. Right at an intersection and about 7 minutes to walk to the city centre.

The owner Tony picked us up from the Greyhound.

Our 6 bed dorm was clean and basic. It had a chimney in it which made it feel homely. The fact that the walls were coloured made it much friendlier. We had a look at the 10 bed dorm and in fact, we would have taken that as well if we came here again as it was clean and not too cramped as well.

The kitchen is sweet and there are enough pots/pans and there is an oven as well. Besides Tony the other receptionist was very friendly as well. They are currently looking for a manager, by the way! Just need to commit for about 3 months.

They had one free computer which I am actually using right now, with Facebook blocked because people would spend too long on it. I found it reasonable after all. Wifi was pretty cheap, 2$ for an hour and 10$ for a week.

After we checked out, Tony brought us out to show as very rare owl up on the palm trees - he really cares about the guests and is a great person.

It feels like home here and they even have a Wii and plenty of books to enjoy.

I loved sitting at the balcony in the morning with the free coffee and looking at the intersection - it had something very special. The couches outside are very comfy as well.

So after all I'm really glad we did a stopover here and chose Port Macquarie Backpackers - as long as you can live with the fact that Goon is prohibited this should be everyone's choice.

Room Tip: Doesn't really make a difference I believe - but as I said if you ever have to undergo a 10bed d...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Small cottage style house with cramped rooms. No lockers. Old and dated. Kitchen dirty. Unusual alcohol rule- everything allowed except goon! Had heard good things about the owner Tony but we did not find him friendly at all. Small pool area. The town itself-not much to see or do. Koala sanctuary was nice but a long walk away. Would have been good had the hostel ran a bus to it or the beach!

• Stayed February 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I've spend a few days at this backpackers, which was my first stop after Sydney, and I liked it from the moment I arrived. I really feel it's the best hostel I've stayed in, during my trip through Australia. It's not really big, but I think that's the power of this backpackers. After a day everybody knew almost everybody and it's awesome to chill out in the hammocks at the pool or at the verandah in front of the house. The manager, Tony, is a very nice guy. The hostel is about a 15 minute walk from the Greyhound Bus stop, but there is also a free pickup. The beach is about a 20 - 25 minute walk, however there's a lake at about 10 minutes from the hostel. The town itself is not very lively. Altough there is a nice koala hospital which is free and is a must see while in town. It's totally runned by volunteers and they do free tours.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I absolutely adored this 'hostel' from the moment I set foot in there. I say 'hostel' because it's actually more like a home with its appearance of an old grandma's house from the outside and it's laid back chilled vibe inside.

The owners are really lovely helpful people. Picking up from the bus stop and introducing you to the small but lovely town. The house is cosy and welcoming, bedrooms are small but on a short stay it's fine and the beds are really comfy. Bathrooms which are shared are extremely clean and you have about 3 or 4 showers and toilets in both the male and female bathrooms. There's a pool which is very cold but nice just to chill by even. Pool room, tv room, kitchen open 24hrs and free toast for breaky. Free Internet but not for hotmail or Facebook, wifi is pretty cheap tho and there is another computer you can pay for. Another nice thing is it seems to attract other respectful travellers which is nice!

Port Macquarie is such a nice little town with some must see things. Tony and Vera just made our stay really lovely, helping out wherever they could and always giving tips on where to go etc. You must go see them!

• Stayed February 2012
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Well I was here just after New Years and I had a brilliant time, the place is a hidden gem. Tony and Vera are just fantastic people and make you feel really welcome. They always strike up conversation and call you by your first name which makes a real difference if you are traveling alone.

The hostel kitchen was always really tidy and had fresh tea towels for drying. They also had lots of fridge space which was a great luxury, being able to store beer from the near by Dan Murphy's.

The hostel has a tv room which is filled with bean bags which are so comfortable to lounge on in the evening. In addition they also had a pool which was awesome to have a little dip in. The whole place was great to stay in with a fantastic atmosphere. The verandah was an awesome place to sip a few beers in the evening and chat with the other guests.

The hostel also offered lots of free things, breakfast, bikes, fishing rods to name a few. I really enjoyed my time there and would happily spend more time there. Great place and has to be one of the best hostels I have stayed in. Clean showers, kitchen and room

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed in Port Macquarie Backpackers for 4 nights and it was fantastic, the hostel is ace and everyone is so friendly. The beds are really comfy too :) The Kitchen is really clean and so are the toilets and showers. The minibus pick up from the Greyhound Stop is ace, saved us walking up the hill with our big packs on. We will def be returning to the hostel in the future. Thanks Guys.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple