“Very disappointing”

The Guest House Restaurant
Reserve with
The Guest House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 74 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dining at The Guest House Restaurant will leave you in no doubt as to why it is one of the Hunter's favourite restaurants for locals and visitors. Authentic Italian influences in the restaurant blend with a fresh, seasonal menu, complemented by a wine list boasting the best of the Hunter Valley. Enjoy the picturesque valley views with a romantic table for two on the outdoor terrace, or by the fireside in winter. Still a favoured meeting place for local winemakers and produce heroes, the atmosphere and friendly service creates an unforgettable dining experience.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 7 (30 mins after opening) within 5 mins asked 3 times if we were ready to order - no but we'll have a drink thanks. On 4th time we were asked(15 mins later and still majority of tables empty) and were ready to order we were informed they were out of the entree quail and main pie - both things I had decided on. I ordered scallops with carrot purée and husband ordered veal carpaccio. In interim bread arrived, which was cold. Then chefs special pork with sweet potato chips - cold. Entrees arrived three Scollops on 1 shell and cold carrot purée. My husband could not taste the veal. He then ordered a red to have with his beef. Sorry out of that as well ! My main, the duck was lovely however hubby not too happy with cold beef. Dessert also a bit ho hum. The yelling and carrying on in kitchen also a bit unprofessional. I think possibly our expectations were possibly a bit high but none the less very disappointed with the whole experience.

1 Thank Vezzzz

Port macquarie
“Nothing to say but eh...”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Being a chef and my girlfriend a waitress we have a keen eye for food and service, the service was great, we were served by a lovely gentleman who was very helpful, enjoyed a joke and made you feel very welcome. But thats where it stopped, the food for the price was quite small and not at all compensated in flavour, my main could have served as an entree and my dessert was consisted of 3 small scoops of asserted sorbets, and what seemed like a simple almond meal...i wouldn't recommend going here if you have an appetite.

Newcastle, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Have eaten at Chez Pok often in the past, but last visit in May an Ordinary lunch menu, not exciting at all.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Carina H
Newcastle, Australia
“Lovely food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We had dinner here last week and I have to say it was the best steak I have ever had! The whole meal was lovely and I would go back again in a heartbeat. The three course meal was reasonably prices for the location and quality of food.

• Visited May 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great modern food, bit pricey though, but worth it. Great venue, but make sure that you book in the busy periods or you may miss out.

Visited August 2013