“Fabulous Food”

The Guest House Restaurant
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dining at The Guest House Restaurant will leave you in no doubt as to why it is one of the Hunter's favourite restaurants for locals and visitors. Authentic Italian influences in the restaurant blend with a fresh, seasonal menu, complemented by a wine list boasting the best of the Hunter Valley. Enjoy the picturesque valley views with a romantic table for two on the outdoor terrace, or by the fireside in winter. Still a favoured meeting place for local winemakers and produce heroes, the atmosphere and friendly service creates an unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The menu has a wide selection to choose from - we only had mains and dessert, Trio of Lamb and Barramundi. Both the dishes were presented very elegantly and were cooked to perfection. The issue I had was that when ordering, I feel like I should've been told - the lamb trio is just that.. Lamb trio with nothing extra on the plate. There were a list of sides that I had seen, so once my meal came, I ordered a side salad - which didn't take long to come and was delicious. The Barramundi did however come with a mash. I would recommend asking when you order if you need to get a side too. The dessert was Peach Melba and was amazing! We shared it but it was the right combo of sweet and acidic flavours, and again - presented beautifully! The service was fine too. The price was reflective of the location and quality of food, so expect the upper end of the scale $35+ for mains.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

We loved having dinner with the lovely views, it was a restaurant we found very relaxing. We asked for the Beef to be cooked to Medium, however it really was just about Mooing, I should have sent it back, I was fine but it was too under done for my husband. The other slight problem was we ordered a bottle of white wine, when we tasted it however it was room temperature, we bought it to their attention and it was swiftly changed for a chilled bottle and all was good.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked a table, thinking that one would be reserved for us in a nice setting, however when we went down for dinner we were told to find somewhere ourselves and had the option of sitting outside hext to a wooden pole covered in honeysuckle which meant we had no view over the gardens or inside. We chose to sit outside. This turned out to be a good choice as my husband and I were entrtained by the behaviour of a little tree frog during the very long waits we endured between courses. It took an inordinate amount of time to be served even with a glass of water. The 2 waitresses seemed out of their depth, got our order wrong and then to cap it off when given the dessert menu were told a list of things not available. In fact the only option available was the sorbets - not very inspiring and poor planning by the chefs to have run out of all four other desserts by 8pm. When we finally got our bill we had been charged for dishes that we hadn't had. Its a shame as the steak we had was exceptional but everything else just let the cooking down.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Having eaten here several times before in past years and enjoyed it we tried a family dinner here. Our experience was awful. Easily the worst of the over 100 restaurants eaten at this year. The service was dreadful ( e.g. No tasting of the wine and served the men first), disjointed and slow. We tried the lamb to share which was small, fatty and tough. Very overpriced. Other family members had oysters and pork belly and were ill all night. We will never be back.

2  Thank SydneyTraveller229
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We had breakfast in Chez Pok and it was sensational. On a 40 degree day we still sat outside in the sun. The most gorgeous view overlooking the rolling bush lands of the Hunter.

Food was amazing and staff were great. The dishes were served out of the wine barrels which was very cool. I will be coming back again!

1  Thank JBae1989