“great meal, but expect to pay for it!”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
New Milford, Connecticut
“great meal, but expect to pay for it!”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

After a day of wine tasting, my boyfriend and I came here for dinner after reading wonderful reviews. The food was excellent, service was great.. but it was pricey. We didnt even drink wine with dinner after being wined out from tasting all day, and our bill came to $200 with 2 entrees, 2 mains and a shared dessert. Excellent excellent food though.. I had the zuccini entree and salmon main.. and my boyfriend had some beef entree and pork belly for a main.. yummmmmy =)

1 Thank JennTravelRN

Brisbane
“My Favourite Restaurant”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

My most memorable restaurant experience is here at Roberts. Brilliant food, great service and a wonderful atmosphere. I have no problems recommending this restaurant.

sydney
“atmospheric, good hearty food”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Reminds me of a venue in Budapest called Vadas Park. Like Vadas Park, game is on the menu. Duck liver, venison. Set in an old wooden building complete with period decorations and an old fashioned oven Roberts sets the scene for a great dinner. We shared the tasting plate of entrees and had the pork belly and venison. Pork was cooked to perfection. Wonderfully presented. Venison was alittle tasteless, but more than made up for it with tenderness of the meat. Finished off with desserts. We were alittle disappointed they took so long, otherwise would have picked one of the wait 20 mins options like trhe banana souffle.

Sydney, Australia
“A disappointing experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We had been planning to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday at Roberts that Saturday night for months. I had enjoyed a lovely meal with a group of travel agents some 18 months ago, and was savouring my next meal at this gorgeously built cottage in the Hunter. Only to be terribly disappointed. And not only me, but everyone in the family.

I greeted whom I believed to be the maitre d'hote upon arrival, only to be informed none less than arrogantly, that he was in fact 'le patron' and could not speak to mere mortals like myself, and immediately passed me on to one of his inferiors who should find out what we wanted. After some waiting, we were ushered into our private room only to wait in silence until the fire was stoked intermittently in the lounge adjancent.

Perhaps it was the poor service which set the sour taste in our mouths, but the choice of entrees hardly set the mark. I had only ordered a side salad and they didn't get the dressing right on that either. The calamari of my husband's choice was tough and rubbery, and we feared for our mains.

I had been looking forward to my usual choice of lamb, but it arrived with none of the pink tinges that should accompany a perfectly roasted piece of noisette of lamb.

When the waitress enquired if we would like to order dessert, for the first time in our history of celebrating major family occasions in the best deemed restaurants of the day, we declined, and a unaninimous decision was reached that a far better sweet would be available in our fridge in the cottage at our gorgeous local guesthouse, warmly stocked by hosts.

Since this restaurant has been sold, we fear it has passed onto less loving hands, and could well be in need of people both in the kitchen and on the floor who really care about what they are doing.

After all, we are in the service industry.

Vicky

2 Thank Victator
Maitland, Australia
“Probably my favourite in the hunter valley”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Amazing food and service, we love to go there for a really special treat, unfortunately we can't afford to go all the time, but as they say, you get what you pay for and Roberts is AMAZING !

1 Thank 2justme