“Best meal I've ever had!”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
“Best meal I've ever had!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Went to Roberts on a whim last week for my birthday. Lovely ambience- fireplace, soft lighting, antique furnishings. Had zucchini flowers for entree, trout and kingfish parcel for main and banana parfait with chocolate peanut butter mousse and popping candy for dessert- all dishes beautifully cooked and presented, delicious and fresh! Good size servings and reasonably priced for what you get. Wine was tasty as well. Made my bday really special :)

1 Thank cocoijy

Wollongong, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect May wedding”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We got married at Robert's Restaurant in May and everything, from the food to the service to the beautiful venue, was perfect. Our wedding coordinator made everything so easy, was able to answer my millions of questions, helped find suppliers in the area and made sure I was calm, relaxed and had the perfect day. Meeting George, the chef, was a delightful experience and his enthusiasm and care meant that our personalised menu was to die for. Our complimentary food tasting was also amazing, the dessert was particularly perfect. The service was excellent on the night and all the staff were friendly, helpful and professional, making our night stress free and perfect. Robert's Restaurant was an amazing venue and we loved the fireplaces, the front rooms, the whole atmosphere! It rained on our day but Robert's was easily able to accommodate this.
We stayed at Peppers Convent with our family and bridal party, which was the perfect place to get ready for our wedding and to wind down with special guests after. Nearby Tower Lodge was a unique and special location for our photos.
An absolutely perfect day at an amazing place!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Phillipa W
Sydney, Australia
“Ambience & Great Food Experience”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We read some of the older reviews about the place not quite being up to its former glory. Then we heard they had a new chef and thought it was time to tick the box and give the place a try. We are glad we did. The atmosphere with the huge fireplace, mood lighting and polite service was exceptional. The food was also innovative and enjoyable. It is quite expensive....about $125 per head but that included 3 courses and a glass of wine and an aperitif. The staff were really professional and attentive and it really is quite a classy package on a cold winters night. A true special occasion experience that delivered a great night.

1 Thank Billy338
Munich, Germany
“Shame on you Roberts”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

On arriving for our booking at the restaurant we were greeted by confusion in the form of a shabby looking scruffy haired blonde girl. Shortly after we were escorted to a small room and told we were to sit down and have a drink. After being seated we waited approximately 10 minutes in some dirty old lounge chairs that should be located on a suburban porch. The girl then returned with no drinks in hand, and a parched couple were eventually seated at a table. Not a good start to what I was hoping would be a good evening. Now mind you I have dined at this restaurant about 5 years ago, and it was excellent.

Next we were told that a waiter would be with us, and some home made sourdough would be forthcoming. We then ordered entree’s and mains, and some wine. Soon after our entrees arrived, however at this point we are still waiting for the promise of sourdough. We ate our entrée which was very bland, poorly presented and overpriced. After the entrée’s were finished the waitress then arrived with some pre-dinner appetisers, very strange to get these after the entrée. Then we were left sitting and waiting in a half full restaurant for another hour before our mains arrived, and still no sourdough. I would normally walk at this point, however I had just travelled 800kms from Brisbane and was determined to have my dinner, although by now it was past 10pm at night. In all this confusion, another round of disgusting stodgy celery based appetisers arrived which we both refused to endulge.

Finally in my parched and hungry state, I asked the waitress about the sourdough. She looked at me with surprise and stated that the sourdough is still in the oven, and she will go and check, this was at 10pm. Yes we finally received our cold sourdough. Soon after the mains arrived. It will be no surprise to report that these mains were cold, bland, poorly presented and of course overpriced.

I ordered the Wagu Beef, which was the worst cut of meat I have ever been served in a restaurant (if you could call pieces so tiny a cut) that I left half of it on the plate as it was mostly fat. The duck that my partner had was cold, stringy with tough dry pieces, both of these meals totally unacceptable to be plated up and served to guests at what is supposed to be a high quality restaurant.

In summary, I must stress that this place is substandard in service, value and especially quality. I have an understanding that the management has changed since my last visit, so this may have something to do with it. Don’t be fooled by the flashy marketing, and if it is good food you are after do not go to this substandard restaurant, it is a disgrace to the local Newcastle and Hunter food reputation, as it is already difficult to find a good food experience in this area.

1 Thank Rick P
HillsideV, Owner at Roberts Circa 1876, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
I am sorry to read that you had such a bad experience at Roberts Circa 1876. Since your visit we have worked endlessly to improve the standards of our front of house staff as well as what happens in the kitchen. I can assure you that what happened to you has not occurred since, but we are always striving to to better for the customer.

Please do not hesitate to PM me and I will be happy to talk to you regarding your evening with us more.

Thanks.

Matt
Brisbane
“A memorable anniversary”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Once we found the building down a long dark road, the atmosphere took over. Went for the shared steak and was not disappointed. Friendly service and generous meals. Big tick.

Visited July 2013