“A memorable anniversary”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Once we found the building down a long dark road, the atmosphere took over. Went for the shared steak and was not disappointed. Friendly service and generous meals. Big tick.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Excellent food served in classy surroundings by friendly staff. Good value considering the quality, we'd expect to pay more in the UK for this type of restaurant.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was a apart of a group booking last Monday, my husband and I came home very impressed. Such a delightful restaurant with so much ambiance. We were offered drinks by the fire, served by a lovely sweet waitress, then informed our room was ready. We were seated and offered more drinks, our glasses were well looked after all night !!. The room was gorgeous and like being in a old fashioned movie. The zucchini flowers are absolutely fabulous. Then for my main I had the crab pasta. It was delicate and delightful. The crab was sweet and the meal had a fresh, clean taste. Overall we were very happy.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Spent a lovely evening in the private dining room, which is very intimate and only seats eight. The food was superb as always and the service fantastic.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Although the staff were accommodating the whole process for booking the private room was a mess.

I made the specific booking verbally as there was no details whatsoever about the restaurant on their website (highly recommend an online booking form be implemented). I asked if the private room was available for 14 people and it was confirmed that it was for the Sunday requested. I found it strange there was no request for deposit and assumed that the amount of people booked would cover any min spend requirements. The number increased and I was not informed at any time that this number could not be accommodated for the private room. I confirmed the week before that the booking was present and again on the day. There was zero mention that there was a room fee charge (again, highly recommend ensuring this is on the website mis-communications are avoided). In total there were at least 4 calls to the restaurant all mentioning the private room including the specific “can we decorate the table in the private room?” in which the staff member confirmed this was fine.

We arrived and the restaurant and it is indeed beautiful and impressive. We were informed that the room was not booked for us, nor ready. The staff were helpful in getting the room organised for the final number of 15 people. Though one said that the room only accommodates 14. Perhaps we were shafted without notice when I originally increased the number.

The set menu was varied. There were no general complaints. My partner and I ordered the $130 rib eye medium. It unfortunately came out medium rare (this being his preference but not what was ordered, I prefer med well but we negotiated medium between ourselves). The red juice on the plate showed it was obvious they missed the mark. I was able to find two pieces that weren't bleeding. The gravy/jus was lovely. The potato puree was nothing special (maybe adding a herb through it would be nice) and the veggies were fine but again, nothing special. The sticky date pudding again was bland and perhaps it was my fault for having an amazing sticky date pudding the night before at The Vintage Golf Club.

At one point our manager asked what the difference was between two wines from the same estate but different vintage. The woman could only confirm the years were different. Yes. we understood this too but were looking for a little more detail. It would be great if the staff had more knowledge of the products on offer.

At the end when the bill came my manager queried the room hire charge ($10.00 per person). Again the staff were unhelpful when I queried why this is not mentioned at any point, even when preparing the room for us upon their claim we didn't have the room booked. They eventually halved it but it certainly didn't leave us thinking highly of them. If it isn't mentioned, it shouldn't have been charged.

I found it irritating that the staff said the booking was never made for the private room. Each and every conversation over the phone began with “Hi I’m Bernadette, calling from COMPANY. We have a private room booking on Sunday 28th July and I need to advise….” If staff are missing this important piece of information at the start of the call I strongly recommend improving their telephone skills.

Overall, you are paying for the ambiance of the place. The place is hard to find in the dark, the food lacked flavour when compared to other restaurants we visited (that being The Vintage Golf Club and Lindermans – both amazingly lovely) and I really do struggle to think much of this place as there notable gaps in communication that really could have made the evening a disaster for our guests.

Not planning a corporate function here any time soon.