“enjoyable meal”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
Newcastle, Australia
“enjoyable meal”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

3 of our party had reasonable size meal, but I had duck and felt quantity was a little small. One of our party was GF which was acknowledged as we were seated, but when bread rolls were bought around, our GF friend was given same roll. Meals were all very enjoyable

Visited April 2013

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A very bad day at the office”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We had been recommended so we came with reasonably high expectations. Unfortunately this restaurant fell short on almost every criteria, Service was perfunctory.A number of dishes were off the menu. Starters came reasonably promptly and were Ok. We then waited an hour and a quarter for a main course.When it came it was cold. So was my wife and daughter 's. We sent them all back and decided to call it a ( bad) day.Obviously we were not charged for the mains but quite frankly they should have been falling over themselves to make us less unhappy.
Overhyped and underwhelming!

• Visited April 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“A most enjoyable lunch”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here last week. We had a delightful lunch! The recent reviews have been a bit variable so we were prepared for the worst. Some of the complaints about the entrance are nonsense - this is the heritage part of the building. The private dining rooms are actually lovely and we have enjoyed them in the past. Relax in e sitting room - it's delightful.
Our meal was great - light zucchini flowers, beautiful crab pasta and perfect venison. I had the signature pannacotta and boy does it have attitude - perfect. The service was a bit remote, but when Robbie Molines was here the front of house was awesomely good. They could do to work on it a bit. Recommended for lunch without hesitation. A bit expensive, but for a special occasion..do it.

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Still great, but no longer brilliant.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Five years ago my wife and I had the most wonderous dinner here on the night before our wedding. We were simply blown away by the experience and when we organised our latest trip to the Hunter we made sure that a booking at Roberts was front and centre of our itinerary.

Roberts is still an exceptional restaurant, the food continues to impress and the staff remain efficient and friendly. But some of the shine has worn off.

First of all, it may be my fault, but I was sure we had booked for 7:30. When I called, I had been given two options for a booking and opted for the earlier time. However on arriving, we were told our booking wasn't until 8:15. While this was slightly disappointing, we were soon installed in the lounge for a few pre-dinner drinks. The waitress brought the wrong cider, but I was in such a good mood I didn't bother correcting her. One pre dinner drink down, I decided to be a bit adventurous and order an old-fashioned on Canadian Club. The waitress returned to ask what I meant. I settled with a scotch on the rocks.

Which brings me to our principal bug bear, the spirits menu is lack lustre. There are no white spirits available, but a reasonable selection of whiskys. For a restaraunt that boasts a sommilier, a pastry chef and all manner of specialists, the lack of a knowledgeable bar tender is a bit depressing.

But putting these two issues aside, the food was exceptional. The gaspacho appetizer with oil was very pleasant, as was my Foie Gras entree. The rib on the bone for two was brilliantly cooked and the red wine just was the perfect accompaniment.

The decor and atmosphere at Roberts remains wonderful. Despite the booking snafu, we had a very enjoyable experience in the lounge reading old Brittanica year books. The lighting is subtle and romantic. In the dining room, the seasoned hard wood beams running through the roof create a marvelous space.

The staff are highly efficient and know their craft well. The menu remains great, but lacked that real oomph factor that I remember from our first visit. I miss the black truffles!

Roberts remains a fantastic destination and we will certainly visit again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Karl E
Sydney
“Fine Dining!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Enjoyed our wedding dinner is a cosy private room. The ambience of the private room was great as was the food. Being tucked away in a private room was made even better by the attentive but inobtrusive service we received.

Visited March 2013