“Great Location, Great Food, Great Atmosphere”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to Roberts recently with my boyfriend and friends. We arrived and were already impressed with the lovely surrounds and the beautiful cottage Roberts is in.
We had the oysters and zucchini flowers for our entrees, which I had tried before @ Jonahs in Whale Beach. We loved the food at Jonah's so much that whilst we were in the Hunter Valley we wanted to try Roberts as we had heard the chef had moved there. It was just as delicious as I expected. For my main I had the ocean trout which was perfectly cooked and the curry chick peas were also delicious . My boy friend had the duck which looked very interesting. He also loved it. We order 2 desserts as we just wanted to try everything on the dessert menu because everything sounded so good. So we had the chocolate dessert which is a plate with 4 different chocolate treats. My boyfriend loved it, I thought it was a bit too much chocolate, but I guess I am not that into chocolate. I had the vanilla panna cotta and it was superb! I loved the mix of flavours in this dish. A bit tangy , and the texture is so nice, I wish we ordered 2 and I did not have to share mine!
The wine list is also very good and the sommelier was very helpful.
We had a great time and next time I am in the Hunter Valley I will definitely come back to Roberts.

George F, Executive Chef at Roberts Circa 1876, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Ellie,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent Roberts Restaurant experience, your post is a delight to read and also a pleasure to pass on to my team.

My team and I are delighted that you and your boyfiend had a memorable time with us and that all of your dishes pleased your tastebuds!

I am warmed that you have chose this restaurant from a previous dining experience at my previous place of work and that it did not disappoint!

We look forward to welcoming you both back again when you visit the Hunter Valley next.

Regards

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We booked in here for valentines night dinner after dining here several times previously with family and friends but not in the last 12 months . When we arrived we where advised the menu was degustation.
We weren't told this when booked
( $125 / head. O. K hope it's nice )
Menu was was plain and ordinary and very disappointing for such an iconic restauarant I know we won't be going back here when there Are so many fantastic restaurants in this fantastic area
sorry Roberts but you've lost your touch in my opinion .

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I ate here on an evening staying at the nearby Towers Lodge.

To set the scene, it is an expensive restaurant, we knew this going in but we were ok with the prices, as always if the food and service match then I don't mind paying around $100 per head just for food ($30 entree, $45 main, $30 desert and $9 sides).

Sadly the food is ok at best, the flavours ranged from tired (pesto with stuffed zucchini flowers) to unusual (eg large scoop of foam that looked like scrambled eggs, the combination of duck with aoli, carpaccio with mayonnaise?), service was friendly but amateurish.

What set the scene for me was that there was Michael Jackson's "black and white" playing over the speakers which was at odds with beautiful timber, dimly lit, white table clothed setting. It got worse when there was some wailing guitar, heavy metal anthem coming through. We said something and they fixed it apologetically (although laughing).

Bottomline, based on our experience I wouldn't recommend Robert's

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The crab pasta starter was great, the Ocean trout dish was pretty good, and the service was terrific. The price is pretty in line with all of the restaurants in the area. Definately worth a visit.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We ate here for Christmas dinner and were extremely impressed and stuffed. You never know with a set menu what the portion sizes will be and how much selection there will be. Roberts did not disappoint. Roughly a 6-7 course meal (if you count coffee and tea with cookies at the end), each dish was innovative, sumptuous, and yet presented without pomp and pretension. However, still beautiful in color, aroma and quality of food. Pricey yes, but worth a speical occasion like Christmas, both of us couldn't stop eating even though we felt full. The treats kept on coming. One of the best cheese plates I have ever had, everything was perfection. The dinning room boasts a huge fireplace and they even fulfilled our ultimate "British inspired" Christmas tradition by making us each a king for a day with our Christmas crackers! Worth the bill.

2  Thank KirstenandShon