“Fab, Fab, Fab”
Review of Roberts Circa 1876 - CLOSED

Roberts Circa 1876
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Circa 1876 (Roberts) is one of the best loved restaurants in the Hunter Valley. It has its own huge produce garden where much of the ingredients for your meal are gathered from daily. You can even go on a garden tour with Executive Chef George Francisco. All ingredients are sourced locally and are organic. Circa 1876 is perfect for all occasions and children are welcome. Bookings advised.
Wollongong
“Fab, Fab, Fab”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just been up to the Hunter region and we booked into Roberts for dinner. Arrived a bit early so had a wine on the verandah overlooking the garden and vineyard. Then went inside to have our meal, which was an experience. Shared the Seared Scallop, Salt and Pepper Calamari, King Prawn starter, and for mains my wife had the Roulade of Duck Breast and Jamon and I had the Confit of Berkshire Pork Belly. Absolutely delicious. Believe it or not followed this up with dessert. I had the Panna cotta, while my wife had cheese. You can see a picture of the Panna cotta in the submitted pictures. It looks like a white leech when it comes to the table, wobbling around on the plate. Anyway I sucked the life out of this one. Fabulous. All this washed down with some great wine. The staff were all very professional and very pleasant. Definitely an dining experience.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank HammoWollongong

Sydney, Australia
“Such an improvement”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We've eaten at Roberts on previous stays to the Hunter Valley and have been a little underwhelmed since chef Robert moved on. The place felt a little disjointed. But we must say they have certainly raised the bar on our recent trips this Spring. We've had two wonderful meals here recently. The food was cooked to perfection, the building looking fresher & alive, but more importantly, the staff gave a damn, they were friendly and professional. Their attention to guests dining in the restaurant was what you'd expect of a fine dining experience. We'll definitely be back now.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sally J
Sydney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The food at Robert's is outstanding - I dream about it. The spanner crab pasta is to die for along with the stuffed zucchini flowers (my personal favourite). The trout (when it's on the menu) is always a safe bet and the panna cotta is like nothing I've ever tasted! The restaurant itself is beautiful, especially when they have the fire going on the cooler nights..

Visited August 2012
1 Thank c_rose_12
Sydney, Australia
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have eaten at Roberts several times and have always looked forward to returning there. Unfortunately I am not sure if I would go back. We had a degustation dinner in the chapel. Of all the courses (about 7) I would only rate two of them. the rest were very ordinary. To make matters worse all wines were just handed out in the glass with no idea or announcement of what we were drinking. Half way through the dinner the staff just placed a heap of wines on the tables, all different labels and the whites barely chilled. I think we were an inconvenience to the staff because that is how I felt.

I think I will only return there if friends invited us there or I had to attend a function there and that is about the only way i would give it another chance.

A huge disappointment.

Visited November 2012
“Faultless”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings, very friendly staff, delicious food and of course wine. Slightly gimmicky entrance and exterior (reminded me of Disney).

Highly recommended.