“A LITTLE BIT OF HEAVEN IN HUNTER VALLEY”

Grapevines Boutique Accomodation
Ranked #4 of 8 Pokolbin B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and i spent two very pleasant nights at Grapevines,we had phoned Michael the night before to reserve,When we arrived he was very helpful showing us around the property and advised us where to go for a nice relaxing meal,he also booked our wine tour for the following day,the accomodation is in chalet style and although compact it is of a high standard. suited us as we drove to within 10 yards of the door.
I could not speak highly enough of the time given to us and also the wine tour was with Wine Rover and Brian the driver is a great guy,very informative and entertaining,
In the evening if u fancy a cold beer you can stroll to Harrigans,about 10 mins stroll,
Thank you Michael,for you guidance on our trip back to sydney,we went to The Entrance beautiful beach ,

Room Tip: if there are more then four aks for the big villa
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mul22uk

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Unfortunately this is the second time we have stayed here and had a bad experience. The first was when Michael was showing guests on our deck while we were having breakfast in our PJs. The second was the last straw. We stayed in the 2 bedroom with some close friends to attend a concert. When we arrived he was pleasant enough and let us in to the apartment. We were staying 2 nights and he didn't mention anything about the balance of the account. We stay in many many hotels and are very well travelled and always pay the balance on check out. On the last day out friends hand to go at 6:15am to go to work, as they were leaving they informed The owner that they had left cash and that I would fix it up on check out. This seemed fine and reasonable as my wife and I were still sleeping in the apartment. At 8:15 we hear a loud knock on the front door and then an attempt to unlock the door with a key. Startled from sleep I quickly dressed and made my way to the door, by the time I had put on my shorts Michael was at the bedroom window calling out for the money. "I need to go to town and want e cash that was left for me". I went to the door and said its early and we have till 10:30 to check out. He then got aggressive and yelled at me "it's not bloody early and you have been here for 2 days and not bothered to pay". I then gave him the money and he tried to engage in a conversation. I closed the door, we packed and left. I will never stay here again and will ensure that I tell everyone about this terrible service! He feels like he can just let himself in and wander round when you are out! He has no respect for paying customers and should not be in this business. Do your self a favour and stay somewhere else. The valley is full of amazing places to stay. Stay at The Woods- they are all about quality and service.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stephen H
staygrapevines, Owner at Grapevines Boutique Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

This was an unfortunate situation and as owner/manager I certainly apologise for the distress evidenced by the guest. This was his second visit and I believe he really respects the quality of the accommodation, the peace and tranquillity of Grapevines, the spectacular views and the convenient location in Central Pokolbin. On his arrival he seemed anxious to settle quickly into the villa with his friends and declined any liaison with me at that stage.

Apparently there has been a misunderstanding on two main points.

The first was payment. Terms and conditions published on our website require that a 50% deposit is required on booking confirmation with the balance payable on check in – not check out. This expectation was also transmitted in an email to the guest prior to his visit and we believe re-iterated verbally to at least one of the party around mid span of the visit. When the payment owing is made on arrival, we advise the guests that if we are not about when they decide to check out – ‘simply leave the villa key in the door’. Generally this works extremely well.

The second point relates to entry by management to villas. We are one of very few venues that provide a Gourmet Breakfast Basket for guests to prepare at their leisure in our self-contained units. Where a visit extends to two or more days we replenish the supplies and remove rubbish each day, usually when the guests are out of their villas. Wherever practicable we clear this practice with the guest on arrival. More than 3000 very positive reviews in our house guest books frequently refer to their appreciation of this practice. Since receiving the above guest’s review we have placed ‘do not disturb’ signs in all villas. These may be hung externally on the entry door if the guest so desires.

We hope that the unhappy guest writing the original review will return to Grapevines. We would like to offer him a complimentary bottle of Hunter Valley Wine on arrival and will certainly do all we can to dispel any misunderstandings, so that he and his friends can enjoy a happy and memorable stay at Grapevines Boutique Accommodation – that is our aim!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here twice already when we brought overseas family to the hunter valley for a visit. Michael was the perfect host and Chloe and Bacchus added a heartwarming touch. Our families loved the place and the rooms are more than adequate. great value for money as it's near most of the major attractions of HV. will not stay anywhere else whenever we go to HV.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank leetitoy
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed in deluxe 2bd villa for girls weekend - STUNNING!
Spectacular views from the huge deck and everything you could need on hand. Comfy beds and furnishings with plenty of room, reading material, TV, DVD. Oh, and huge bathroom plus an ensuite in second room. You could easily live in this place.
Super convenient location being just down the road from Hunter Valley Gardens and minutes from Harrigans and major wineries.
I know this sounds like an advert, but it really surpassed expectations. Did I mention the view?!
Michael gives great tips on places to visit and his Labradors Chloe and Bacchus add a homely touch. Cook your own brekkie supplied
Über spacious for the 3 of us. Has bedding for up to 8

Room Tip: Families and groups should go the deluxe villa or the 2bdr next door. Apparently they interconnect i...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chantelle C
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We booked the deluxe villa as it was cheaper than booking two separate rooms at the nearby Hunter Valley Mercure (Christmas/New Year period).
The 2 bedroom Villa was huge! Huge living area, huge party sized deck and large,clean kitchen. The furnishings were a little outdated and too many ornaments for my liking, but overall a pleasant visit with a (cook your own) breakfast thrown in. Great quality bacon and eggs supplied as part of the rate.
Excellent location, and definitely recommended.

Room Tip: The Deluxe 2 bedroom Villa will sleep 2 couples and children (4) comfortably. Large deck with great...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NundahNat
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This place was lovely. We stopped at the information center and Grapevines was offering a deal of breakfast and a night's stay, so we arrived and Michael showed us around the place. He offered us two rooms to choose from, and also offered us use of the back patio apartment because no one else was renting it that night. From there we embarked on our wine tour by foot - so much was totally walkable - and returned to have wine and cheese at sunset on the deck with his two lovely dogs.

The bed there was the most comfortable bed we stayed in for the 5 week trip we took, and the next morning we had breakfast with the dogs on the front porch and headed on our way.

Michael was more than pleasant and was helpful in telling us where to visit around the property. We look forward to another visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travel471982
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Recently stayed there but was dissappointed to see how small it was. Price paid was $220 for a studio, I think they call it but no real kitchen to cook a proper meal.
The studio was clean and tidy with comfortable bed and nice bathroom.
A breakfast basket was supplied for us to cook our own which was lovely but I had to cook bacon and eggs in an electric frypan with the fire alarm nearby and we left door open to avoid that going off!!. Also owner Michael, cautioned us about various power problems which, really when you are paying that, you shouldnt have to think about .
For $220 a night, I know you can get accommodation with a proper functional kitchen with cooktop, exhaust etc..
We also noticed when we were away one day, he had come into studio to replenish breakfast basket without informing us. We felt a little invaded...we should have been told or given the choice to allow entry when we were not there. I dont think thats right...invasion of privacy and space. After all we did have our personal items in the studio and normally you have to ask for permission to gain entry.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BlackKitty3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Thistle Hill Guest House
Pokolbin Village
Pokolbin Village
#5 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Grapevines Boutique Accomodation? Share your experiences!