“Re-energising with a fabulous view”

Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you need a bit of 'me' time then this is the place. I stayed for a week but could have stayed a few more days. Do as much as you want or just relax. I really enjoyed the physical elements, the sense of peace and meeting great people. The food was fabulous and the accommodation was great. The staff really look after you and the spa treatments take away the stress. I'm looking forward to going again!

2  Thank Maizeone

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Okay, going to a health retreat where there is no coffee, wine or chocolate sounds like the absolute opposite of my idea of a great holiday. However work and life has been overly frantic and stressful for the last 6 months and I was feeling like an impending train wreck. My other half has been to Golden Door twice before and found it very beneficial so she convinced me to try it once. I arrived with lots of reservations about whether I was going to survive the week and it took me a couple of days to settle in and get the vibe. It didn't help that the stunning views from the restaurant where of the best vineyards the Hunter Valley has to offer. The day after we arrived was caffeine withdrawal headache day and man did it hurt. I was doing lots of the activities (including Tai Chi at 6:30am, which amazed me as I am not a morning person) but the headache worsened so in desperation I tried the meditation class (having never done it before in my life). An hour later I was feeling much better and by the next morning felt great. I was realising how active and social the Golden Door is and really started to relax and enjoy myself. The people we met there were wonderful and there were so many things to do that we were suffering a bad case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). My favourite activity was the indoor hockey (no skill required and all welcome) even though I've never played hockey in my life. It was great fun although I'm not sure about the Golden Door hockey rules which state that the final score for all games is always a draw ;) The food was healthy and tasty with plenty of protein and breakfast was my favourite. Fruit, muesli and eggs is a great way to start the day. All of the staff are wonderful and the trainers are enthusiastic and in tune with your needs. I left Golden Door a new person, feeling wonderful and ready to re-engage with the world. We developed new healthy habits which we have stuck to since arriving home so it looks as if there are long-term benefits too. I can't recommend Golden Door highly enough if you are looking for a place to reset, relax and recharge. Oh, and the views over the wineries really are stunning...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hotels-Airports
BrigidWalsh, General Manager at Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Congratulations! You have posted the 100th EXCELLENT review about your stay at the Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia. Thank you for sharing your experience and I am pleased you were able to “reset, relax and recharge” during your stay. Your description, about leaving “a new person, feeling wonderful and ready to re-engage with the world”, reiterates the reasons why we do what we do at the Golden Door Health Retreats. I am happy you have been able to take some essential tools home to ensure a more healthier you. As the 100th person to write a review we would like to give you a gift for you to use on your return to The Golden Door. We will contact you soon with more details.
Regards, Brigid

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed 4 nights over long Anzac Day Weekend. What a wonderful place to stay. Rooms beautiful and relaxing, turn down service such a nice touch. Food excellent and healthy but never hungry. Great choice of activities or just relax and sleep by the pool. Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed for one week and am grateful for the new much needed experience. This was a first for me..... I never previously considered a health retreat ! Now I feel that I am a follower! My heath had become an issue and I was "told" by the doctors to change my eating, drinking and exercise patterns immediately. Stuck in the vicious cycle I decided to give it "a go" at the Golden Door. Well it was more than I expected. The program was exactly what I needed....Lots of exercise, fresh air, healthy food, seminars, attention, comfort and of course great company. It was really lovely to detox in luxury!I and have an exercise program suited to my abilities. The spa was lovely with beautiful surrounds and treatments. There is the 25 mtr indoor pool and a separate female/male sauna and spa pools.
I expected to be alone most of the time but was not, as there was great group of people who were friendly and fun . The staff are understanding, supportive and warm. Mel was fantastic in so many ways and made me feel welcome with her entertaining and caring personality.
I would recommend this health retreat to all as there are so many activities suitable for a wide range of people. It's all a plus!!!

1  Thank astrochichi
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was my second trip to the Golden Door Elysia and I wondered how it would compare to my first great experience and I wasn't disappointed. From the moment you arrive you are made to feel so welcome and cared for, the whole atmosphere is calm and nurturing. Although you can go hard all day at the huge range of exercise classes provided, no one is keeping tabs on you and if you just feel like zoning out reading your book or sitting on the balcony watching the kangaroos play that's perfectly fine too. The food is delicious, so full of flavour and you know it's all great for you. The standout is the staff though. I didn't come across one who wasn't friendly, enthusiastic, fun and knowledgable. They are all keen to help you achieve your goals whatever they may be. The rooms are comfortable and spacious, with little touches like the essential oil burner having been lit when you get back from dinner appreciated and adding to the nurturing atmosphere. I went there for a mental break and I left feeling relaxed, calm and refreshed. I will definitely be back!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2013

What a GREAT experience and a great team to go with it. The food is really nice and the facility has no expense spared. The amount of varied activities also makes this a great experience. The rooms are large and fitted out well

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I did the 7 day retreat - it was a week well spent. Fantastic friendly staff who gave great support and guidance. Beautiful, relaxing surrounds. Food was delicious and wholesome. Enjoyed the week with a group of people who laughed and shared. A learning experience that I am happily applying in my home life. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia? Share your experiences!