“5 days Optimal Wellness”

Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Manly, Australia
“5 days Optimal Wellness”
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Amazing 5 days, surrounded by supportive staff, beautiful accommodation, amazing food and wonderful exercise program's. I travelled solo however there were many other solo guests but this didn't matter as everyone bonded with the support of staff. I will be returning in six months to keep the momentum of my new lifestyle fresh.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank TurnboSydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've visited Golden Door twice now - the first time by myself in January 2012, then on a more recent visit in November 2012 I took my mum along. Both stays were fantastic - I would definitely return, and would highly recommend a Golden Door Elysia stay to others. Mum had a great time too. From the tai chi sessions at sunrise to the delicious dinners in the evenings, everything about Golden Door is perfect. The daily timetable is packed with activities - deep water running, hiking, badminton, zumba, yoga etc - as well as numerous seminars on health and wellness. But the great thing is that you can do as much or as little as you like - you never feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to do. Most guests generally enjoyed a couple of hours of exercise in the morning, followed by a spa treatment (I almost fell asleep in some of the treatments - they were so relaxing!) then some time reading in the room/snoozing/or relaxing by the pool in the sun in the afternoon. Others enjoyed packing in a full day of fitness. The friendly nature of the activities - which cater for all fitness levels - plus the communal tables at mealtimes means you get to know guests quickly (but there are smaller tables too, so if you want to sit by yourself you can). Although I visited by myself the first time I never felt alone - in fact I made some great friends. The rooms are decadent (single bedroom apartment was very luxurious and double room that I shared with mum had two bedrooms and two bathrooms, so the only thing we had to share was living/kitchen area). The views are fantastic - you could spend hours sitting on the veranda watching the kangaroos and birds. Staff are friendly, knowledgeable, encouraging and amazingly good at remembering the names of all the guests! Nothing is too much trouble when it comes to meals - they are more than happy to accommodate food allergies/intolerances. Food is healthy, but also very tasty, and you never go hungry. Giving up chocolate/alcohol is hard, but worth it - after a few days you don't really miss it and you feel better for making the change. Elysia is considered the more ``luxury`` Golden Door option, while the other Golden Door rereat in Queensland is described by guests and staff as more ``rustic`` - so if you're looking for luxury then definitely choose Elysia. Some people think that Golden Door prices look expensive compared to some other types of holidays, BUT when you consider that the price includes luxury accommodation, all meals and all activities - it is pretty cost effective. You really don't need to spend a cent once you are there (unless you can't resist the decadent scented candles and bath bombs in the gift shop!). Both times I went into Golden Door feeling tired, run down, and unmotivated in daily life, but after each week-long stay I left feeling fitter, healthier and ready to take on the world again, with some great new health and lifestyle routines that carried on long after my visits.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have amazing views - you could spend hours sitting and watching the kangaroos and bir...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank sendmail2linda
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband arranged my retreat as a surprise for me. I loved the whole experience, tai chi on meditation hill is the perfect way to start the day. Followed by a long walk before a nutritious breakfast. I learnt so much about eating a healthy balanced diet and I am now enjoying the recipes at home from the 'purely golden door' cookbook. The cooking class and indoor hockey game are a must during your stay. The seminars were very informative and Mel & Matt were exceptional!
My villa and the surrounds we're stunning and I took lots of photos. The hot stone massage was just the ticket to relieve my sore muscles after all the exercise!
Thanks to the GD team I feel as though my life is back on track and I'm able to 'let it go' when starting to feel stressed. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank missbrenda64
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was given a voucher for my birthday as ny children thought I neaded a break desperately. My husband accompanied me and we experience the most wonderful time from the moment we walked through the Goldern Door. The food was delicious, the activities were great, seminars very informative and insightful, the spa treatments bliss. The surroundings were very tranquill and the villa comfortable. There is nothing like waking up at 6am to do tai chi on the mountain and watching the sun rise. A big thank you to all the staff for being so friendly, humorous and professional, they made our stay memoral. We will do this again, maybe twice a year!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Connie D
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went to golden door with my partner to celebrate his birthday!

Had a fab time in wonderful surroundings beautiful food amazing programme of activities an
exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.

Had a swedish massage from emily after a 10km walk both were fantastic!

A truly wonderful experience!

and thank you to Karen in the restaurant for her warm+ friendly kindness!

jenny

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Blackburn, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my first experience of the Golden Door and one that I hope to repeat time and time again. From the moment you step through the door at Elysia you just know how special the week will be. From the tranquility of the cascading water fall feature you are gently guided to check in to the most picturesque and peaceful villa's and surrounds. You can't help but "let go" of all that once seemed so important! The team are there to ensure your experience is exactly what you need and nothing is to much. You are encouraged to do what it is you need to do throughout your stay and have options to fully engage or just simply relax. Surrounded by the lush green hills of the Hunter Valley Elysia optimises the essence of balance on every level.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have been several times now to the Golden Door Elysia. It is a magical environment in a beautiful setting atop a hill with 360 degree views of the spectacular Hunter Valley.

The staff are wonderful, the food is great (& healthy!) and the activities are varied and designed to meet all levels of fitness. If you want a relaxing 5 or 7 days break to detox or begin a change of lifestyle, this is the place to go!

Thanks to Brigid, Mel, Olivia and the Matts! See you all again next year.

Room Tip: All the rooms at Elysia are set in a circle around the resort and all enjoy wonderful vistas of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Splinters Guest House
Splinters Guest House
#4 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Golden Door Health Retreat & Spa Elysia? Share your experiences!