“gone downhill” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esca Bimbadgen Restaurant

Esca Bimbadgen Restaurant
Reserve with
Esca Bimbadgen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 73 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Esca Bimbadgen is situated high on a hill in the heart of Hunter Valley Wine Country. Dedicated to the art of food & wine matching, Esca's modern Australian cuisine, fresh local and home grown produce and spectacular views make for a truly memorable dining experience.Esca's contemporary restaurant design features large glass windows and an open balcony allowing guests stunning wine country views over the Bimbadgen vineyards to the Brokenback ranges.Esca Bimbadgen is a regional restaurant, that uses produce sourced locally or grown on the Estate including lemons, figs and fresh herbs. A feature of the menu are the Esca Tasting Plates, like a "mini-degustation", where guests can enjoy three 'tastes' from the menu each matched with a Bimbadgen wine.
Sydney
“gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I ate at Esca 12 months ago and had a fantastic meal, not sure if they were having an off night, but this time when I went it was terrible. The food was not well cooked, the lamb was dry and tasteless, and the experience was very disappointing, they had pleasant staff but wouldn't go back again after this experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Keiren L

Newcastle
“Lovely meal and great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Thought this was a lovely place to eat, we had the taster plate as an entree & came with 3 tasting wines & overall restaurant was great!

Visited October 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous, but something missing...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I lunched here last week. The exquisite, beautifully presented food and to-die-for outlook from the distinctive Bimbadgen building made every kilometre of the 165km drive up from Sydney worthwhile.

So why do I have a nagging feeling that despite all this, something was missing?

Sadly, the service we received just wasn’t quite up to the high standard of the food, wine and setting. Everybody was polite, but there was something rather perfunctory and functional - definitely reactive rather than proactive - about the service.

For example, the menus were placed on our table without a word of explanation. At no stage was any attempt made to ‘sell’ the great dishes within, or to talk-up the wines on the wine-list. Admittedly, at each stage of our meal someone did come over to ask us how the food was, which we appreciated. But outside of these occasions, refills of our water only happened when we asked for them, and attracting a waiter’s attention in order to request another glass of wine proved more of a challenge than one might have expected at this level of establishment.

I can’t deny we had a lovely meal, so in the greater scheme of things these are small quibbles. But given that informed and attentive waiting staff can increase one’s enjoyment of a meal by something like 25% plus, our experience last week suggests that this is one area where this otherwise fabulous restaurant may be selling itself a little short.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Nice food but cold”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have been recommended by local to have a lunch at Esca Bimbadgen Restaurant. The view is amazing and I would say one of the best one, I ordered strip loin medium and my girlfriend blue eyed cod. I got my meal cold, but in general was very tasty. She was very satisfied. At the moment we got the food we had to wait another 10 min for side veggies. Anyway in my opinion the food is over-rated and expensive. Service was slow but I expected more for price I paid. (It was a Sunday lunch in almost empty restaurant)

Visited September 2013
“Amazing as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Esca never miss a beat in my opinion.
We only had a shared plate of tasty morsels to eat at lunch but still it was amazing. Cannot wait to have a more substantial lunch there next time. The view is 2nd only to the food in my opinion and thier wines are good too.

Visited September 2013