“Fine Dining in the Hunter Valley”

Amanda's on the Edge
Ranked #16 of 77 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Amandas on the Edge was recommended by several people that I spoke to during a recent trip to the Hunter Valley. It turned out to be a good example of the fine dining available in this district. We would certainly visit again.
My wife and I booked a table for a Thursday night and found that it was very popular. Most indoor tables were occupied at some time during our visit.
The menu provided a variety of choices. We spotted the dessert [blackboard] menu and decided to go with two entrees ($20-$25 per item) each to ensure we had room for dessert. To start, I chose the Italian meatballs and my wife chose the stuffed mushroom. We both opted for the ravioli as a second entrée course.
All meals reflected their descriptions from the menu and were very enjoyable. They were presented nicely but certainly were only small entrée size.
Waitresses were efficient- even providing us with updates on the progress of desserts when there was a small delay.
The wine list reflected plenty of local options with servings sold by the glass or bottle.
A great night out!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had dinner at Amanda's our first evening in the hunter valley. It was recommended by our hotel.
We were not greeted on arrival and had to search for a member of staff. The overall service was unfriendly and without warmth. Our food was served very fast - far too fast. The food was adequate in taste but not special.
We liked the simple wooden tables and the blackboard of desserts - great selection but there are better places to eat in the hunter valley

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went to Amanda's recently with a group of four. The scallop entree and ravioli entree were the standout entree dishes with the prawns a bit disappointing.
The mains were all delicious but the ocean trout had that visual wow factor that the others missed.
All desserts were great and it was good to be able to bring along a favourite bottle of wine & didn;t mind paying the corkage.

the waitress was very young and interrupted the conversation to take orders and also placed my fellow diners cutlery on my plate when clearing the table. This was minor and did nothing to mar a lovely experience. Yes, I would really enjoy visiting Amanda's again to try something new.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went to this restaurant over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed the food and the ambiance. The service could have been better - had to repeatedly look for someone to get a drink or order something. Wait staff not particularly friendly.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Went to dinner on the spur of the moment to Amanda's without pre-booking. They were accommodating in finding my wife and I a lovely seat outside with stunning views over the vines.

We went for the specials (Roasted Lamb and a Curry) and a Dessert each and were very happy with our selections. Each meal was cooked superbly and was very flavoursome.

The food was not particularly cheap (just over $100 for both of us) but is reasonably priced when compared to other venues in the Hunter, and was significantly better than another establishment we had eaten at the night before which was similarly priced.