“Food lies”

Ranked #7 of 74 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Italian, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Enzo warmly welcomes you to our charming sandstone restaurant. . . As the story goes, 'enzo' have been established since 1996, yes one of the original cafes in wine country pokolbin! When there were dirt roads 'n stuff! We are historically known for our alfresco dining and 7 days trade throughout our years! Over the years this once upon a time homestead, home to the Irelands, has expanded and evolved and become home to enzo. Original fittings of the kitchen areas and fireplace still remain untouched. Hand cut sandstone, laid by hand, and the hardwood beams from the wharf of sydney harbour, create the lived-in feel that people return for. We welcome you to our home of dining, celebrating and good times, and ask you to continue to share with us. Enjoy!
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We spent the last meal of our weekend in the Hunter Valley at Cafe Enzo. We were with friends and we ordered lunch. I ordered John Dory fillets and asked the waitress if it the fish was freshand was it John Dory or Dory fillets as this is a common mistake in restaurants. I was assured that the fish was fresh and it was John Dory, not Dory. When the fish arrived, I said that it the fillets were not John Dory and it looked like frozen fish fillets. She said that it was John Dory and fresh and she would let the chef know about my comments. That was it. I think frozen hake for $25 is a big rip off. Not only did they lie about the food, but there was no apology. Other food ordered at the table was average. Would never go here again and could not recommend it. If you want overpriced poor quality food, this is the place to go, but with so many other fabulous restaurants in the vineyards, would give this a big miss.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Enzo

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

been here twice for breakfast. always good service and quick food. grew at coffee. reliable breakfast spot!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Campos coffee and pistachio cookie -two days in a row .
We go here every time we are in the Hunter -service ambiance but most importantly the COFFEE is sensational .

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hubby and I dined at Cafe Enzo for breakfast on a very drizzly rainy morning in January 2013. The cafe has lovely seating outside, and had the weather been better I would definitely have asked for an outdoor table. The weather however was not agreeable so we were given a table inside. The first table we were given had a very large spotlight nearby that was shining directly into my eyes, I asked the waitress if there was any way to dim or adjust the spotlight and she said no, so I asked to move tables which we did. Our second table was actually a lot nicer than the first as it was right next to a window.

Our waitress on the day we dined was really friendly, efficient and attentive, and I later found out it was her first day! I have read comments from others on this site that say the service isn't very good, well it looks as though Cafe Enzo is working to improve that as our experience with the service was great.

The menu was small, there were about 6 or 7 different breakfast options and a very big note at the bottom of the menu which said you can't make any adjustments to the menu. This slightly baffled me, as I thought that the restaurant is there to serve the customers needs, not the other way round! Ultimately it didn't bother me, as I ordered straight from the menu (no adjustments, of course), and so did hubby.

I also ordered a fresh juice called the Superman, and it was delicious and served in an old jam jar - very rustic and cute! Breakfast arrived shortly after and it was a perfect portion size and delicious. I had sour dough with my breakfast which was truly excellent and had that authentic sour flavour to it, reminded me a lot of the sour dough from Boudin Bakery in San Francisco (yes, it was that good!).

Hubby had a coffee and was well pleased to find out that it was Campos coffee and was clearly made by a skilled barrista.

The menu was a bit on the expensive side, but the food was enjoyable and the service was very good. There are very limited options for breakfast in the Hunter Valley and I would certainly recommend this one to others looking for a yummy start to the day.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The menu was very limited and very pricey. I ended up getting a chicken Caesar salad $23 which was very nice and a good size. Wasn't wowed for the price.