“Just loved it!”
Review of Estate Tuscany

Estate Tuscany
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Just back from the Hunter Valley and stayed at Tuscany; it was just what we needed. We weren't sure after reading a couple of the reviews, but found we were pleasantly surprised!

The grounds a beautifully kept, the Olive Grove room we stayed in was lovely, spacious, a wonderful bed, it was so comfortable. We saw kangaroo's at our back door, enjoyed being able to sit at the back of our room watching them sipping a glass of wine - getting back to nature in a civilised way.

We had a flat screen TV, so not sure if these are new, but we didn't come to the Hunter to watch TV. We recieved 10% off at the cellar door and there was a cheese factory on site. The Mill was fantastic and loved the tapas in the Brokenback Bar. The views from both these places are stunning, the food and service we really enjoyed, so friendly.

We thought it was great value as they have a speacials page which was very useful on their website. There is always a deal to be had, just look for it : )

We will definately be back!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wheretostayok
There are newer reviews for Estate Tuscany

Reviewed February 18, 2010

The Tuscany is quite a nice hotel, pretty location with views over vineyards in most directions. Its really quiet and peaceful but to be honest the best thing about the place is its surrounds. The rooms themselves are nothing special although they are clean and comfortable but considering what you get there is just simply no way to justify its prices.

The shower comes out at a trickle and the TV is tiny and you will be lucky to get even a couple of free to air channels let alone any Foxtel channels. The breakfast is quite nice and the food on offer generally at the Tuscany is good, staff are friendly and helpful and it is pet friendly if your that way inclined but I have stayed in nicer hotels for less than half the price.

No huge compliants about the stay but there are hotels in Polkobin that are nicer and cheaper that just seem to be better options for travellers.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed at Tuscany Wine Estate the weekend that my fiance proposed. We had a vineyard view room with a supposed 'spa'. The bath was so small only one of us could fit in it and it had a few jets on the sides.

I agree with the others about the mould and the old decor. It looked like they hadnt cleaned the room at all because when we walked into the room there were crickets on the floor tiles and in the bathroom (i think they must have come in through the gap under the door). I was not impressed at all, every morning when we got up to go into the bathroom there were crickets in there, some dead and jumping around near your feet. It was not clean at all.

The shower had absolutely no pressure, the water just drizzled out! The view from the room was amazing, but i would probably stay in a garden view room to hopefully avoid the crickets.

The Mill restaurant was nice. We went there for dinner one night and sat on the verandah and had a lovely view. The waitress was very helpful and the food was nice.

I will not be staying here again and i wouldnt recommend it to anyone. I do however recommend The Mill restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and two children. It was OK, room quite big but staff, whilst friendly, were not helpful with recommendations for wineries in the region (which i would expect for a resort in the Hunter Valley). Recommended wineries 15 kms away in Broke that were all closed when we got there (many of the wineries in that district only open on weekends and we were there on a Thurs).
Some good things:
- lovely breakfast in restaurant overlooking the vineyards
- lovely dinner in cafe in evening, able to take away and eat back in room which is good if you have young children, but I was charged $15 for a child's pasta (plain pasta with tomato - with a side serving of chips of all things - bizarre - this was really overpriced)
Not so good things
- no cold water in taps in bathroom - problem reported to reception but not fixed;
- hot water tap in shower fell off whilst I was turning it in shower - bit dangerous.
- no gauze on doors - we all got eaten by mosquitos in the night
- VERY hard bed - very uncomfortable
So in summary, OK, but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights in October and thought it was very nice, the girls in reception were very pleasant and helpful. We thought our room was was fine looking onto the lawn with the kangeroos. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean, our only complaint was that the top pillow cases did smell funny but they were changed.The breakfast was good with plenty of variety. It was in a perfect location for sightseeing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Tuscany on the 28/10 and agree with the previous review, we had escaped from our children and at the last minute decided to stay in the Hunter, being a Wednesday we were somewhat limited to locations with restaurants attached, hense staying at this location.

We usually stay at 5 start locations in the hunter and sydney and were a little shocked as to the gap between 4 and 5 star.

If you are staying for a quick trip nothing special then stay here yes, for romance and spoiling each other, NO. Yeah the nature is nice, the view from the vineyards room nice but thats it, the rooms feel old, bed uncomfortable, the bathroom was something from the seventies and yes i witnessed mould behind the bathroom door also. TV remote did not work, but armed with great wine and cheese and fab company the trip was ok.

Dinner : The Mill Restaurant, well we were informed prior that there was painting being conducted and may have a slight smell, OH MY GOSH it stank, I became light headed it was so bad and to add to it the view was obstructed by large scaffolding left there by the painter for the evening! (That should have been removed!) The food was good though. One waitress was hopeless, never got the drinks we ordered.

Breakfast : Well was that the worst I have had? Close to it, they only provide you with continental and that is pretty ordinary, the toaster did not work, there was 3 muffins, 1 crossant, cereal, and fruit. And to add to my dissappointment had to eat while watching a painter on scaffolding with a smoke hanging out his mouth! Yuck.

Its not the worst I have stayed in but I am glad that I only paid $170 cause if I had paid $260 as there website states I would have been very upset.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fivestarplease
Reviewed October 24, 2009

My stay was booked a long way in advance as I was attending a wedding at Tuscany. On arrival I was greeted kindly, had a guarantee taken from my credit card and given a key and directions to my room, along with a sheet of paper explaining that the Tuscany mantra was to provide service and facilities to a standard that I’d leave with a feeling that I’d want to return.

On checking into my room I was a little surprised by the state of disrepair, particularly the cracks in the main wall, and the apparent wear and tear on the wooden furnishings –

The chair at the desk was heavily scratched and the bottom of the wardrobe/entertainment unit appeared to be water damaged or somehow stained. The room certainly wasn’t what I expected from 4 star accommodation. I have stayed at a number of properties in the Hunter Wine Region, and around Australia and felt that Tuscany was not living up to my expectations. Despite this I decided to stay on, after all I had a wedding to attend the next day and needed to get a good nights sleep to ensure I was refreshed and ready to enjoy the festivities the following day.

Unfortunately that is not what happened.

The support offered by the bed was acceptable; however the bed itself was exceptionally noisy. Every time I rolled or moved in the bed it squeaked, this combined with the continual rattling of the front door in the wind made it almost impossible to get to sleep.

I decided to put the television on to mask the squeaking of the bed and rattling of the door. Sadly the reception was limited to SBS and local TEN, with all other channels being scratchy or cutting in and out – Again not what I’d expect from 4 star accommodation.

Eventually I got to sleep, and then woke late in the morning. I decided to take a shower to refresh myself from the poor sleep I had had. When stepping into the shower I was disappointed to see dark mould buildup on the lower section of the wall where the top of the bathtub met the tiling of the wall. Despite this I needed to prepare for the wedding so I continued into the shower. Once in the shower I was unable to have the water maintain a constant temperature, it continued to fluctuate from luke warm to scaldingly hot with no change of the tap positions. For me this was the straw that broke the camel’s back and I decided I was not comfortable staying in a substandard room when I had paid for 4 star accommodation.

I got out of the shower, dressed and headed to reception to examine my options. At reception I was told that the resort was fully booked so I must pay the full rate for both nights, even though I was leaving after just one night dissatisfied with the room.

I was surprised that despite claiming that I’d leave with a feeling that I’d want to return, there was no response when I said I was leaving as I did not find the room clean or comfortable, nor was there an offer to have the room checked, cleaned etc. I did not wish to make a scene and left to find alternate accommodation.

I thought it appropriate to let the "resort" know about what I thought was a failure to provide service by sending them an email detailing the above faults with the room. The General Manager responded apologising for what I had experienced and assured me the problems would be fixed, she also agreed to my request of a full refund.

I must say though, as disappointing as the room was, the wedding I attended was exceptionally well staffed and went very smoothly. It's difficult to beleive the room and wedding were at the same place!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank FiverACT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Estate Tuscany? Share your experiences!