“Overpriced and charge through the roof for extras.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Estate Tuscany

Estate Tuscany
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
“Overpriced and charge through the roof for extras.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We recieved a Scoopon for Christmas from family and decided to make the most of a weekend away without kids before my partner left for Dubai for 8 months to work. We rang up to book for the weekend. Straight away there was an extra charge of $50/ night for staying on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night. We thought oh well it's only $100 extra, why not. We enquired about taking our small dog with us, which was an extra $25/ night. We gave it a miss because we thought that $50 for a dog for a weekend was a bit unfair and rediculous as it also downgraded the room. We arrived on Friday night. We had to give a $100 deposit for the room which I thought fair and food would be taken out of that for the duration of the stay. And was informed that we had to have dinner at the Brokenback Bar as there was a function on. Fair enough. We'd had dinner on the way, but thought it might be nice to use the $30 credit for dinner we had for each night and each morning for breakfast. Our order came to $29.50 for two icecreams and a entree which was very yummy. (I highly reccomend the bar for dining.)The room was fairly standard. Not something i would brag about. And the bathroom smelt of smelly shoes. Not exactly something I would expect for the upgraded room. We woke up the next morning and had breakfast as usual, went out for the day and explored the countryside ( highly recommend the smelly cheese shop ), then went back for dinner at The Mill restaraunt. It was very nice, but very overpriced for what you got. We made an event of dinner and ended up spending just over $110. $30 of which was covered by the food credit, so didn't turn out to be too bad. Then breakfast the Sunday before we left. When I went to sign out I payed $100 for the upgrade, an extra $145 for the food and was told that the $100 deposit would be put back in my account with in the next 3 days. I was a little flustered and glad that I even had that amount left on my card after Christmas and had trouble understanding why it was so much. After paying I sat down and worked it out that I had been overcharged by $30. I felt like a bit of a tight [--], but rang to find out what it was for and discovered that they had neglected to tell us that on the first night of the stay, you had to spend over $50 to get the food credit. I told her that no one had told us that and the receptionist told me that it was the bars fault and there was nothing they could do about it. I am still fuming that a nice romantic weekend away had turned into an expensive $345 plus the actual Scoopon price, for two nights and $145 of that was spend on 4 meals, 1 of which was desert and a snack. Unfortunately my children will have to wait until next pay to get all their necessary school items. Thank you Tuscany for the experience, however next time I think we will tell you where to go, and pay the extra $345 to stay at a classier place up there. Maybe the mecure has nicer rooms....

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank JessS87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Following on from Lloyd B's review, ditto.

From an organsing point of view the staff could not have been more helpful in co-ordinating the group booking and the actviites during the week. The birthday diinner was spectacular and the staff very helpful and courteous during our stay.

Not the first time we have been to Tuscany Estate for a short break and they never fail to deliver.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Group of 10 spent 4 days at Tuscany Resort-loved it. Celebrated a birthday in Mill Restaurant -Chef John Salisbury menu of chicken-pork-seafood was exceptional 5* presentation & taste(& he is so young!)plus a neat birthday cake. Restaurant Manager Samantha runs a tight friendly efficient ship - courteous speedy service in a busy restaurant-great breaky-fresh poached eggs a delight.

Room Tip: Quiet location hotel with plenty of activies to visit/experience. In hot weather need more carport...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed on a 2 night scoopon package , we stayed in an Olive Grove Room which was comfortable and nicely furnished it had everything we needed and prob more
We dined in the Mill Restaurant both nights and found the food to be very nice if a little overpriced! But what we had was well presented and thoroughly enjoyed
The staff were friendly and we found the place to be situated well for our starting point for a full day winery tour which is to be highly reckon ended , we would be back for sure

• Stayed January 2013
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I went to the Tuscan Wine Estate for a seminar with a group from Sydney, so I also know what was the general consensus of our group. Rooms were just a tad above the standard motel room and very patchy in facilities.One of our party had no bedside lamps but I did.There was no covered, lined waste bin in the mediocre bathroom.The shower was over the bath with minimal handrails and there were cheap toiletries. One morning my bed was not made.The whole operation was more suited to a much lower star rating.There was no quality control.
The food was absolutely dreadful. We were there for two/three days and I cannot express how inappropriate was the menu.The food was badly cooked and badly served. After our complaints, we were given a voucher by email for a dinner in the restaurant. We have friends that have returned since then, and the food is still awful.
The reason that I write at this late stage is that I notice on several booking sites that the rating is still quite high. Nature made the views, kangaroos graze and drink from the dams, the motel did not organise this. This could be a good country motel if the price was not so excessive and the food not so pretentious. There are so many excellent restaurants in the Hunter. This motel should concentrate on simple local food, well cooked and served hot! The management and owners need some education on what is a 4 star establishment and therefore worthy of such prices. For the traveller coming from overseas, this could be yet another negative, expensive Australian experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank agtowle
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Lovely quiet hotel in the vineyards!! My mother and I stayed here for our hot air balloon ride the next morning. The staff are just lovely and make you feel at home. The rooms are well appointed with a very comfortable bed. All rooms have a small terrace where you can relax with a bottle of wine.

We saw around 50 kangaroos in the field next door at sunset and then another 3 right in front of our room the next morning!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our stay was faultless ... From where ever you stand on the property there are breathtaking views to admire .The rooms are tastefully decorated,furnished and offer views that invite you sit back,crack a bottle of local wine and indulge the Hunter Valley at its best, The staff are fabulous,friendly and ever so accommodating and helpful, good old fashioned service as such extends the welcomness and creates a sense of importance of the guest.
Breakfast was a fabulous selection of cereals, fruits, pastries, and cooked options, with sweeping views of the vineyards it was the perfect way to start the day .
This is definitely one place not to be overlooked, and truly is a wonderful gateway to stay and play in the Hunter Valley...

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Estate Tuscany? Share your experiences!