“The best boutique accommodation in the Hunter”
Review of Billabong Moon

Billabong Moon
“The best boutique accommodation in the Hunter”
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

If you are travelling to the Hunter Valley as a couple or with friends there is only one place to stay - Billabong Moon. The property is on Hermitage road and features a number of individually designed cottages on beautiful grounds at the centre of which is a billabong surrounded by a casuarina forrest.

Over the years my wife and I have stayed at all of the cottages and each one is stunning. The owners Jenny and Andy clearly take great pride in putting the cottages together and as a result they are cosy and inviting places to stay all year round. The cottages have fire places and a number have jacuzzis.

The fridge in each cottage is always stocked wth generous breakfast provisions and a bottle of wine and a cheese plate is always thrown in.

Billabong Moon is luxury accommodation with no pretension. It is the perfect place for a romantic get away or a weekend away with friends.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Garth W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have just spent a long weekend at Billabong Moon.... what can we say? Absolutely wonderful! We stayed in the Sunset Ridge cottage. All the accommodation on site is tucked away, so totally secluded and private. The cottage was beautifully decorated and furnished. The attention to detail second to none. All the extra touches - fresh flowers, wine, cheese, chocolates, breakfast goodies, magazines, fluffy bathrobes.... the list goes on an on.

We just loved it! A rare, rare find. We will be back - thank you!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kenic95
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here over a weekend in November 2011. We originally booked for a year before that however had to re-schedule twice due to inforseen circumstances. Billabong Moon was very accomodating, helpful and understanding each time we changed our booking.
The couple who run the place are lovely - they were more than happy to continually go out of their way for us.
We stayed in the Treetops Cottage and absoloutely loved it! It was so quiet, peaceful and romantic being amongst the birds. Treetops is really secluded and has an in room spa - and you can even watch tv from in the spa!
The kitchen was well equipped and the BBQ was great! The breakfast hamper was really fresh and contained everything. We payed extra for the BBQ hamper and the meat was top quality. Also, the chocolates and cheese platter were DEVINE!
The only downside was that the outside bath was dirty so we didn't use it but I'm sure if we had asked for it to be cleaned it would have been.
Absoloutely LOVED our stay here! Can't wait to try out one of the other cottages next time!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ErinandCraig123
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I had some friends visiting from the USA and wanted to show them the best of what Australia had to offer. I hadn't been to the Hunter Valley before and so I did a lot of research on accommodation before choosing Casuarina Cottage at the Billabong Moon, Pokolbin - a 2 bedroom cottage set amongst Casuarina trees.

The Billabong Moon did not disappoint at all. In fact, I don't think the photographs on their website give justice to how beautiful and well appointed the Casuarina Cottage is. Every little detail was attended to from a fully stocked kitchen with all the utensils and appliances you need (a lot of 'self contained' cottages lack basic tools) to the tastefully decorated living areas. The beds were comfy and the linen crisp and each bedroom has an ensuite bathroom. The bottle of wine and cheese/fruit board on arrival were perfect, and the fridge had a fully stocked breakfast basket with bacon, eggs, fresh bread, preserves, milk and juice. There is a BBQ outside near the deck, perfect for summer evenings. To top it off, the outdoor spa nestled amongst the trees was perfect. Some other reviewers had said the traffic noise from Hermitage Rd was loud, but I didn't find this to be the case at all.

We really enjoyed our time in Hunter Valley, but for once the accommodation was the main highlight. I will definitely be staying at the Billabong Moon on my future trips to Hunter Valley.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank andygoodyear
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I know all of the accommodation in the Hunter Valley pretty well because I live on Hermitage Road in Pokolbin, which is where much of the accommodation for the wine tourists is located. I know a lot of the people who have accommodation and have either seen their properties or have heard through the grapevine what they are like. My parents own accommodation of their own just down the road. I actually live two properties away from Billabong Moon. Out of the many choices my husband and I had for our wedding night, we knew right away we wanted to stay at Billabong Moon. We stayed in the Treetops cottage, and the privacy is out of this world and hard to impossible to find elsewhere. You can walk around naked inside or out and rest assured that no one will see you (except your mate!). We absolutely LOVED the bathtub outside in the trees. The morning after our wedding we sat in the tub together in the trees and re-read our vows to each other. It was magical and made a memory that will last our lifetime. I would describe their style of accommodation as country, vintage, luxury, comfortable. I couldn't recommend their accommodation highly enough. This is a very expensive area to visit and there are so many places around here that charge $400+ per night but don't deliver. Not so with Billabong Moon. It's worth every penny!

Room Tip: Treetops cottage is amazing for couples but you must use the outdoor tub! For families the cottage o...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fky22
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Sunset Ridge for the weekend. From the moment I drove up the driveway I knew it would be something special. I opened the front door, and my jaw dropped, it was so very quaint, it was perfect for the romantic getaway weekend that I planned. The cottage was very clean, the food provided was delicious, I would definitely reccomend the BBQ hamper. I also met Matilda the pet kangaroo who was adorable. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy B
Bateau Bay
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here in 2006 & again for my 40th in April 2011..This place is heaven on earth..From the moment you arrive you feel at peace..The owners are very accomadating & lovely people, the rooms are exceptionally clean, the special touches are awesome, privacy is assured..The beds are heavenly, the breakfast provisions are awesome & the bbq pack is devine..Yes it is in the bush & its exactly what we wanted..Plently of wineries around the area..This is a place to relax & sit back & enjoy the peace of it all & soak up your quality time with one another or friends..As for spiders & bugs that were complained about, well all as i can say is, you get that anywhere in the aussie bush & i have never encountered this problem & if i did, well i would expect that..Some people are too picky..This place is sooooo good we are heading back up there this week for business purposes & are staying here again..Thank you so much BILLABONG MOON for a wonderful 40th..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple