Billabong Moon
The Convent Hunter Valley Hotel(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$160
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$145
$142
Hunter Valley Resort(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$106
$87
Hotels.com
Pokolbin Village(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$84
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$130
$314
  • Breakfast included
Tonic Hotel(Pokolbin)
  • Pool
All reviewstreetops cottagecheese platebottle of wineon arrivalhunter valleyhermitage roadtea coffeeperfect stayspa bathrowboatdeckbbqfridgeloaffireplacepropertybedroom
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I had some friends visiting from the USA and wanted to show them the best of what Australia had to offer. I hadn't been to the Hunter Valley before and so I did a lot of research on accommodation before choosing Casuarina Cottage at the Billabong Moon, Pokolbin - a 2 bedroom cottage set amongst Casuarina trees.

The Billabong Moon did not disappoint at all. In fact, I don't think the photographs on their website give justice to how beautiful and well appointed the Casuarina Cottage is. Every little detail was attended to from a fully stocked kitchen with all the utensils and appliances you need (a lot of 'self contained' cottages lack basic tools) to the tastefully decorated living areas. The beds were comfy and the linen crisp and each bedroom has an ensuite bathroom. The bottle of wine and cheese/fruit board on arrival were perfect, and the fridge had a fully stocked breakfast basket with bacon, eggs, fresh bread, preserves, milk and juice. There is a BBQ outside near the deck, perfect for summer evenings. To top it off, the outdoor spa nestled amongst the trees was perfect. Some other reviewers had said the traffic noise from Hermitage Rd was loud, but I didn't find this to be the case at all.

We really enjoyed our time in Hunter Valley, but for once the accommodation was the main highlight. I will definitely be staying at the Billabong Moon on my future trips to Hunter Valley.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank andygoodyear
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I know all of the accommodation in the Hunter Valley pretty well because I live on Hermitage Road in Pokolbin, which is where much of the accommodation for the wine tourists is located. I know a lot of the people who have accommodation and have either seen their properties or have heard through the grapevine what they are like. My parents own accommodation of their own just down the road. I actually live two properties away from Billabong Moon. Out of the many choices my husband and I had for our wedding night, we knew right away we wanted to stay at Billabong Moon. We stayed in the Treetops cottage, and the privacy is out of this world and hard to impossible to find elsewhere. You can walk around naked inside or out and rest assured that no one will see you (except your mate!). We absolutely LOVED the bathtub outside in the trees. The morning after our wedding we sat in the tub together in the trees and re-read our vows to each other. It was magical and made a memory that will last our lifetime. I would describe their style of accommodation as country, vintage, luxury, comfortable. I couldn't recommend their accommodation highly enough. This is a very expensive area to visit and there are so many places around here that charge $400+ per night but don't deliver. Not so with Billabong Moon. It's worth every penny!

Room Tip: Treetops cottage is amazing for couples but you must use the outdoor tub! For families the cottage on the dam is a must.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fky22
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Sunset Ridge for the weekend. From the moment I drove up the driveway I knew it would be something special. I opened the front door, and my jaw dropped, it was so very quaint, it was perfect for the romantic getaway weekend that I planned. The cottage was very clean, the food provided was delicious, I would definitely reccomend the BBQ hamper. I also met Matilda the pet kangaroo who was adorable. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here in 2006 & again for my 40th in April 2011..This place is heaven on earth..From the moment you arrive you feel at peace..The owners are very accomadating & lovely people, the rooms are exceptionally clean, the special touches are awesome, privacy is assured..The beds are heavenly, the breakfast provisions are awesome & the bbq pack is devine..Yes it is in the bush & its exactly what we wanted..Plently of wineries around the area..This is a place to relax & sit back & enjoy the peace of it all & soak up your quality time with one another or friends..As for spiders & bugs that were complained about, well all as i can say is, you get that anywhere in the aussie bush & i have never encountered this problem & if i did, well i would expect that..Some people are too picky..This place is sooooo good we are heading back up there this week for business purposes & are staying here again..Thank you so much BILLABONG MOON for a wonderful 40th..

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We visited the Hunter Valley to do some Wine Tasting with family who were here on holiday and chose to stay here mainly because other places we knew had no vacancy. The main reason it wouldn't be a first choice is that it's a bit out the way, however that is also part of it's charm.

What was very disappointing was the fact the cottages and rooms themselves were lacking in cleanliness to a degree. A large portion of the hunter's "Bush Life" resided inside the accommodation rather than being kept to it's rightful, place outdoors. When accommodation claims to be of 5 star standard measures should be taken to stop large spiders, crickets and beetles from entering the premises.

The facilities in the cottages were very basic and some common utensils were also lacking. Overall it was a pleasant enough place to stay but the cost far exceeds what is delivered by way of quality of dwellings and service - I have paid much less and received much more from other places in the Hunter Valley.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family