“Not what it should be for the money”
Review of Chez Vous Villas

Chez Vous Villas
London, England
“Not what it should be for the money”
Reviewed October 10, 2008

After seeing all the glowing reviews of Chez Vous my partner and I were really looking foward to our stay in the Hunter Valley.

We opted for the 2 bedroom villa which felt tired and in need of updating.

The kitchen felt worn and the cooker looked thirty years old and took forever to actually cook anything.
You are given 4 crossants and 4 pieces of raisin toast with coffee and tea. Yogurts provided in the fridge were out of date though.

The television picture was terrible with only two channels working. We tried using the DVD player but the picture was black and white. For the money I would have thought Foxtel wouldn't be out of the question.

You are in the middle of nowhere and whilst the gardens are not unpleasant we did encounter some of the wildlife in the shape of a 'Bluetongue' the largest lizard I've ever seen in someone's garden. There are lots of mosquitos so you need to spray the DEET on well.

Make sure you bring all the food you want to cook with because once you've had alcohol you're sort of stuck there.

Don't get me wrong, Chez Vous is not an awful place to stay by any stretch of the imagination but $600 for two nights I think we were expecting 5 star accomodation and this is more like 3 and a half.

On the plus side the place was clean, although no one came in to change the sheets on the 2nd day or tidy up. Again, if you're paying that sort of money this should come as standard.

If you want a good tour of the Hunter I highly recommend Boutique Wines, it was the best wine day we've done.

Overall I think we felt let down and a bit disappointed with Chez Vous. There are loads of places to stay in the Hunter Valley and a lot are the same sort of price or even more. I think, however, if I go again I'll be looking for better value for money as this place doesn't quite fit the bill.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
drn01, New owner at Chez Vous Villas, responded to this review, December 12, 2009
Hi,
I am Daniel Nikles and we have purchased Chez Vous Villas in the Hunter Valley. I have read all the feedback from all past customers and we take each input very seriously. You know, we want to be more responsive than the average place you stay, more personal and more involved.
So some of the issues have already been addressed and the other ones we will attend to shortly.
Please come back when back in Australia and we will offer you the best discount rate and a bottle of nice wine will be in your room, together with a brand new flat TV, DVD and all....
All the best !
Daniel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NSW
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Have just returned from 3 night stay at Chez Vous in their 2 bed villa. I recommend it unreservedly. The location could not be more perfect - you can walk to the Pepper Tree vineyard in a few minutes and then head on down to other vineyards/Pokolbin Village. We did most of our tastings on foot and didn't have to book a tour.

Chez Vous is tranquil, with wonderful wildlife. The onwer was very friendly and helpful. The villa itself is quite large and comfortable. We will be going back again!

One thing I would say is that this is suitable for pretty much anyone but it isn't a party place (thank god).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank danielallam
Brisbane
Reviewed October 28, 2007

I've just returned after spending 3 nights/4 days here with my partner and 2 other couples for a friend's wedding. What a wonderful way to spend it away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

The room my partner and I stayed in was one of the studio villas. It came fully equiped with a double spa, little kitchenette complete with continental breakfast provisions (including croissants which my partner was most impressed with), air conditioning, massive shower and wine glasses to try all your purchases after a hard day at winery tastings!!

Only a couple of suggestions I would offer to the owner (and I didn't get to mention this as we didn't see her in the morning - Karen) that the Studio Villas really need a chest of drawers and a wardrobe to hang clothes. We had no where to hang any of our clothes other then 2 little hooks that was on the back of the bathroom door. In Villa 4 I would also recommend a curtain or perhaps some beautiful wooden blinds on the window above the spa - the light at night is a little annoying and the morning sun does make it in to the rooms also. But other than that our stay was fantastic.

• Liked — The fact that we were in the middle of nowhere!! But close to everything!
  • Disliked — Lack of storage
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank kathnjuan
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2006

We stayed 2 nights here over a weekend. This property is based amongst the trees out the back of some of the wineries in the region, and within walking (stumbling?) distance from a couple of them.
On arriving the property is welcoming, and does have a slight mediterreanean feel to it, despite being surrounded by gum trees - and a bellowing laugh of a kookaburra.
We were received with a sense of overwhelming friendliness by the owner (Karen), and throughout the stay she did everything in her power to make the trip not only enjoyable - but also easy for us.
We stayed in a small, yet very ample studio apartment with a basic facilities (toaster, kettle), a very comfortable bed, big shower and small terraced area (which we made good use of).
The website (www.chezvous.com.au) is a good representation of what you will find here.
There was also a spa bath in our room and a nice looking pool on the property, which we (unfortunately) had no time to use.
A suitable breakfast was provided - croissant, bread, yogurt and cereal, all in our kitchennette ready for us to eat whenever we woke up. In the morning and during sunset, you can see kangaroos just a few minutes walk down the road.
Having travelled extensively in high class accomodation, I would rate this above average, but the service and hospitality is beyond excellent, it was amazing - which means our average rating is excellent!!!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple