“Good burgers!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tuk Tuk Hunter Valley
Ranked #24 of 73 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We were recently voted in the top 10 Burger Restaurants in Australia. Our aim is to provide quality food at an affordable price and we offer a menu that consists of over 40 items with nothing over $20.00 ! We are very proud of our commitment to our locals and visitors alike, we want you to visit The Hunter, eat drink and be merry, but still have some money in your wallets to get home. Life is about being happy, flavour is freedom, so get amongst it :-)
Armidale, Australia
“Good burgers!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

A decent range of "gourmet" burgers, We tried a couple and both where well presented, out of the ordinary and easily eaten !! It's basically an upmarket take away ( you pay for it and they bring it out, in that context the service is okay) that's in a nice setting, wait time in our case was acceptable (~10min) . We ate a bit earlier as it was Mothers day and looked like it could be busy later. Burgers cost around the $13 mark. Rating based on burger range, quality and acceptable price.

Sydney, Australia
“Treasure tuk, tucked away in Tempus Two complex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Spent the weekend away at the Hunter Valley. Found this fabulous burger place tucked away in Tempus Two complex. Fabulous choice of burgers on offer. Enjoyed our burgers so much on the first day we decided to go for lunch again the next day. Burgers are reasonably priced compared to other lunch menus in the Hunter region. Burgers were tasty with plenty of filling. If wanting to enjoy these burgers go before the rush of lunchtime as I believe the waiting time can become quite long. We had lunch each day around 12:00 with no waiting time, other than waiting for our burgers to be freshly cooked.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great burger variety”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

It is tucked away in the Tempest Two complex.
Great variety of burgers and quick, friendly service.
Sadly no gluten free buns were available on the day we visited, but they substituted it by putting it in lettuce instead like a 'Sang Choi Bow' - clever!
Disappointingly they also forgot the cranberry sauce on my burger but service was so hospitable and friendly that it didn't bother me at all because they fixed it so quickly and were very apologetic.

1 Thank MarTee_Travel
Newcastle, Australia
“Terrible Service - over an hour wait”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We were hoping to spend a lovely time having lunch in the Tempus Two complex with my husband and 2 children. Unfortunately I ordered our lunch at Tuk Tuk.

At the time of ordering, I was told a 30 minute wait (yes Manager, a 30 minute wait! Not a 55 minute as you strongly suggested). You might also want to write the wait time quoted on your dockets along with the order time.

As we sat inside initially (no outside tables available), we heard the wait time rise from 30 to 55 minutes / to the point where people were not ordering. Had we known, we also would have left without ordering.

Food arrived an hour and ten minutes later (40 mins later than quoted), after a couple of follow ups {Updates were: ready in 15 mins - was really 35 minutes; ready in 3 mins - was really 20 minutes more!}.

It was not a weekend or busy lunchtime period, just a lazy Wednesday. As anyone with hungry children will know they are not happy to sit and wait for long periods, but because we were told it was a 30 minute wait, we persisted.

No apologies when the food was finally delivered. Other patrons around us were also cranky about having to wait so long. Tour bus director at the next table cancelled one of the wineries on the tours due to the wait. The people at another table (also with children) had a similar wait only to find one of their items were not delivered at all. What a shambles.

Food was only ok - not worth the wait - or the price.

At the end of the meal I went in to speak with the Manager (something I would not normally do) - in the interests of improving the experience for others - asking that they quote realistic wait times in future.

He instead argued several times they were only around 10 minutes off the time quoted even though I insisted I was told 30 minutes. Not forgetting the 2 dud updates he gave us! He begrudgingly gave me an insincere apology so I would leave (when I held my position about the time quoted).

People in front of me in line were also complaining and receiving the same awful service.

Based on the person we encountered I can expect rude comments below from him.
Instead, why don’t you take people’s comments on board and try to improve your business.

Tempus Two should also take note of these reviews, as instead of looking around the complex and tasting wines there, we waited and waited at our table, and left straight after lunch.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
44 Thank Jan O
Sydney, Australia
“A bad taste in the mouth: overcharged”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Tuk Tuk has found a niche market for gourmet burgers amongst neighbouring eateries that are overpriced in the Tempus Two complex. We went there yesterday, and found that this was the only place to grab a simple lunch.

The menu sounds adventurous and appetising, but unfortunately we found many options from the menu unavailable, including an interesting burger featuring truffle and foie gras. The burgers we finally tried were quite tasty.

What troubled me was the service we received. The lunch ordering at the counter was busy, with a line that was moved along somewhat abruptly. We felt some pressure to order quickly, which was not easy, since we there were no signs indicating which items were not available that day.

However, the problem was that I was overcharged. Our total bill was $60, which I chose to pay by credit card. Using "pay-wave", I neglected to check the amount charged - which ended up $70. Admittedly it was ultimately my fault for not checking. However, I would think that a shop should take the utmost care in taking the right amount of money from their customers.

Whether this was a genuine mistake by the vendor or a sneaky rip-off, I don't know. Having only realised the error after leaving Tempus Two, this left a bad taste in my mouth. To avoid any suspicions of impropriety, these mistakes should not happen.

• Visited April 2014
15 Thank 44mackey
Mark C, Owner at Tuk Tuk Hunter Valley, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Firstly let me thank you for your kind comments about our menu, it is indeed adventurous and exciting, we have about 30 burgers on the menu plus additional items which means we have a permanent menu of 41 items, plus our daily specials board, I am quite confident that we offer the broadest choice and the most extensive menu in the Hunter Valley!
We were hammered over the Easter break and with Anzac Day falling the following Friday to make two long weekends in a row, our stocks were at a low due to nil deliveries that week, we still held our heads high with our remaining items which you so kindly commented on !
If you were pressured into ordering quickly, I can say that was my fault, I was on the till that day taking orders, due to our beautiful gentle front-of-house girl being abused the previous day by a rude customer, I still don't understand why people come to the valley on the second busiest weekend of the year and get cranky because of the wait time, which is the same everywhere !
I was endeavoring to move the line on quickly as we always get people that need every aspect of the menu explained to them, even though a description of every menu item is clearly written on it !
Now, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but it has taken a while for my business partner and our respective girlfriends to relocate to Brazil for the World Cup, we had to pack, organize people to feed the dog, switch the electricity off etc etc etc, we have gone on an extensive holiday and for this we have you to thank, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the 10 bucks, it has taken us a long way, the girls have had Brazilians on the beach whilst Pete and I were in the casino, it's marvelous how far you can stretch $10.00, I still can't believe that after probably 400 transactions that day, I still managed to scam 10 spondoolies off you !
If I weren't so insulted I probably would be cranky, I wonder how many people I undercharged !