We travelled to the Hunter Valley to see an outdoor concert at Hope Estate Wines. We decided not to book accommodation in advance as we planned to drive home that evening.
On arrival in the Hunter in the early afternoon, we changed our minds and decided to try and find a room for the night. After an hour of calling almost every hotel/motel and B&B in the Hunter Valley, we were lucky enough to find a room available at the Leisure Inn.
For the price of the room, we did expect a better experience. The lady at reception seemed disinterested in our arrival, and was quick to point out that reception closes at 6pm. You really are on your own here, if you need anything "after hours" forget about it - which is not a good thing if you have been drinking, you can hardly jump in the car and drive the 15 minutes into Cessnock.
The room was ok, the little villas look big from the outside, but it's not until you get up close that you realise that they are made up of multiple rooms with common walls. The room was actually quite small and very basic.
The bathroom was ordinary & the water pressure in the shower was terrible.
One nice thing was that Kangaroos were wandering around the grounds and at one point came within a few metres of us out the front of our room.
Breakfast the next morning was very basic. Not much on offer and the quality was poor.
We were grateful to find a room on a busy weekend in the Hunter Valley, and leaving it so late to book we could not be picky, so I'm glad we found this place, but we won't be returning.
If you are offering a basic room, no staff after 6pm and a very poor, school camp like breakfast in the morning, you can't go on charging the high room rates. Bring the rates down and this place would be ok for budget travellers.
This is a fantastic area and the hotel is located right in the middle of it. With a little care and attention to detail, this COULD be a nice place to stay. At present it is not. The owners need to staff their property properly, (particularly after hours) if they want to continue charging the high rates they do.
There are many better places to stay, within a short walk of this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is a picturesque retreat set on 25 acres of tranquility in the heart of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. With many cellar doors and attractions such as Hunter Valley Gardens within easy strolling distance, Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the unbeatable location to base yourself.Marvel at the truly stunning views over local vineyards and Brokenback Ridge – you might even enjoy a visit from the local native fauna and birdlife. This picturesque backdrop is the perfect setting for a relaxing and peaceful stay in the Hunter Valley. Self-contained Studio, One and Two Bedroom Villas. Take some time-out in our air-conditioned studio, one or two bedroom apartments sprawled across the landscaped gardens of the property. All apartments feature private patios looking out to the 25 acres of peaceful hotel grounds and vineyards. To enhance your stay at Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill, our Superior Rooms have been upgraded with new beds, LCD TVs, WiFi access, modern kitchen and bathroom fittings and soft furnishings. The perfect way to finish a great day of wine tasting and sightseeing is to sit back on your veranda and with a cheese platter and glass of wine or sink down and relax in your in-room spa tub. Take a stroll to the local restaurants or cook a romantic meal (full kitchen facilities available in one and two bedroom apartments). Guests are also welcome to relax by the hotel’s outdoor heated swimming pool, play a game of tennis, or have a BBQ in our undercover BBQ area surrounded by lush gardens. Guests can awake to a delicious breakfast or relax over a superbly prepared meal served at the onsite cafe & restaurant (under new management). Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the ideal location for a romantic break or a trip with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Hotel Pokolbin
- Pokolbin Hill Chateau
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Greater Newcastle