This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Leisure Inn. I recommended it to our friends from South Australia. We had booked 3 rooms, for a group of 6 to spend 3 days, mid week. This time we used promotional coupons offered by Groupon. The Leisure Inn is beautifully laid out with 50 bungalows, each containing 2 units making 100 units in total. Each 1 bedroom unit has a large bathroom, well appointed kitchenette with all the utensils you would need, lounge room with table and chairs, lounge suite and large flat screen TV with Cable channels and separate DVD player. All are large and spacious. There is plenty of cupboard space for extended stays. The two units in any one bungalow have an interconnecting door which is ideal for families. And the lounge suite converts to a second double bed. There is a good sense of space between the bungalows amongst the trees. Together with the tennis court, games room and swimming pool and other amenities it is hard to fault it as a place to stay. Wi-Fi is available but is not free. Nicole on reception was friendly, organised and professional. The disappointment for us on this visit was the dining room, Cafe Pokolbin Hill. Maybe we caught them at an off time? We were offered as part of the promotional deal a credit of $80 per couple, to spend at the Cafe. The Cafe is open for breakfast 7 days and for lunch and dinner Wednesday to Saturday. The breakfast menu, while offering a good choice was let down by the quality of the cooking and untrained waiting staff. The breakfast is not a buffet, but table service from a menu. Two of our party ordered bowls of seasonal fruit while others ordered cereal. The cereal choice was limited to small packs of sugar based cereals. The cereal arrived promptly. The fruit did not. It arrived at the same time as the hot breakfast meals we had ordered which were placed on an adjoining empty table to go cold while we ate the fruit. The hot breakfast options offered were eggs, (poached, scrambled or fried) with toast. Add on choices for an additional cost were sausages, bacon, grilled half tomato, mushrooms, baked beans. The sausages were overcooked and dry, the bacon was cooked to be leather tough, the poached eggs were cooked to be very hard. One of us, who specifically asked for soft centre poached eggs, sent back the over cooked eggs. They were replaced with eggs that were only slightly less cooked. We had used over half our allocated $80 on the breakfast in the first day. Not wanting to waste the remaining money on our credit, we decided to have dinner that evening. After a day of touring the wineries and having a marvellous lunch at one of them, we were looking for a light meal and all of us ordered from the Entre menu. Four of us ordered the soup, one ordered the prawn linguini and one ordered pan fried scallops. The chicken and corn soup was a watery broth which small chicken chunks with some corn pieces and was chilli infused to give it some taste. After it arrived at the table, our impression was that the kitchen had one serve available and split it four ways. There was so little liquid in the bowl that after placing just one of the supplied two thin sliced small pieces of crisp bread into the soup the liquid was fully absorbed to expose the bottom of the bowl. My guess is there were about 3 soup spoons of liquid in the bowl. For a dish costing $17 it was a massive disappointment and nowhere near value for money. The linguini dish was good – taste and portion size. The scallops, all 3 of them, were well cooked and served on a dob of celeriac puree, but did not in any way go with the shard of toffee that was placed on top of each one – a very strange combination and at the price, was underwhelming. The waitress was under trained. She did not know anything about any dish when questioned. When asked what the Soup of the Day was, she did not know and had to leave and ask the kitchen. When it came time to pay, because we had the vouchers and the order was entered into their computer as a single order and they “do not split accounts”, confusion resulted that unfortunately involved us, the customer, in trying to resolve it. This happened both at breakfast and at dinner despite advising the waitress up front when ordering that we had vouchers. So, in summary – love the location and hotel, but this time, did not like the restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is a picturesque retreat set on 25 acres of tranquility in the heart of the Hunter Valley Wine Country. With many cellar doors and attractions such as Hunter Valley Gardens within easy strolling distance, Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the unbeatable location to base yourself.Marvel at the truly stunning views over local vineyards and Brokenback Ridge – you might even enjoy a visit from the local native fauna and birdlife. This picturesque backdrop is the perfect setting for a relaxing and peaceful stay in the Hunter Valley. Self-contained Studio, One and Two Bedroom Villas. Take some time-out in our air-conditioned studio, one or two bedroom apartments sprawled across the landscaped gardens of the property. All apartments feature private patios looking out to the 25 acres of peaceful hotel grounds and vineyards. To enhance your stay at Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill, our Superior Rooms have been upgraded with new beds, LCD TVs, WiFi access, modern kitchen and bathroom fittings and soft furnishings. The perfect way to finish a great day of wine tasting and sightseeing is to sit back on your veranda and with a cheese platter and glass of wine or sink down and relax in your in-room spa tub. Take a stroll to the local restaurants or cook a romantic meal (full kitchen facilities available in one and two bedroom apartments). Guests are also welcome to relax by the hotel’s outdoor heated swimming pool, play a game of tennis, or have a BBQ in our undercover BBQ area surrounded by lush gardens. Guests can awake to a delicious breakfast or relax over a superbly prepared meal served at the onsite cafe & restaurant (under new management). Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill is the ideal location for a romantic break or a trip with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Hotel Pokolbin
- Pokolbin Hill Chateau
- Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill Greater Newcastle