“The best location”

Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill
Canberra, Australia
“The best location”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in a studio room. After reading some less than flattering reviews, we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was more than adequate. For the price we paid ($175) it was definitely comparable to a hotel room in Sydney in the same price range and was certainly better than the other alternatives in the same price range. I think many of the reviewers may have had unreasonably high expectations. While I am sure there are much more luxurious places in the Hunter Valley, added extras don't come for free. The main highlights of the hotel in is the location and the setting. It was within walking distance of several wineries, cheese shops and the general store. It is just cheap cab ride to other wineries and restaurants. There is also a cocktail bar and Thai restaurant just across the road. The hotel is set on a beautiful property, with views rivalling all the wineries we visited.The staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this for both big groups and couples.
The only downside was that our studio shared a door with the next studio and we could hear the late night shenanigans of the couple next door. The bathrooms are a bit 90s, but they were clean and more than adequate for our needs.
We would return for the location.

Room Tip: As for a room with no connecting door and near the lake.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in a studio apartment, using our Wyndham Resort credits. The central location meant we could walk to many of the wineries, restaurants, shops and gardens. The room was satisfactory with kitchenette including microwave and a spa bath. Also having the small patio meant we could sit out and enjoy the natural bush setting overlooking a large dam and grape wines. The grounds are well maintained and we enjoyed a nightly stroll around them each evening. There is also a tennis court, pool and BBQ area for guest use. We tried the on site cafe for coffee and the staff were friendly and the coffee most enjoyable. overall the staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Units closest to Broke road may be a little noisy at night due to trucks
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Not your average country motel but a collection of individual buildings spread over 65 acres and sloping down to a lake. Each square building is diagonally divided into two one-bedroom apartments, each with a large living room with full kitchen as well as a comfortable bedroom with en-suite. It was pleasant to sit out on the verandah with a glass of the local Hunter wine. The kangaroos were absent but we did have a plover family with two chicks.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a spa apartment in early September for 3 nights. We stayed on a Groupen voucher. We had a really nice room although it was a little tired. A lovely outlook. Over the dam and neighbouring properties. Very quiet and private. The spa was a little dirty and when we turned it on the first time all sorts of debris came out of the jets, apart from that the Room was quite good. Breakfast was a strange event. As we had bed and breakfast coupons we expected to be offered the breakfast on the coupon but instead we were offered a menu with very similar wording to the coupon but much more expensive, so the first day we had a bill for breakfast. The next day we made sure we got the coupon breakfast but still had to pay for a breakfast coffee, as coffee was not included. Bit strange breakfast without coffee. The gardens and surrounding were lovely and it was very central to everything. Cessnock and some great cheap eateries is about 15 mins away.

Sydney
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I'm a member of Wyndham Resorts so I stay here using my credits and have always had an enjoyable stay.
We usually stay in the studio or 1 bedroom and have always found it clean and comfortable. The position of the resort can't be beat, it's walking distance to so many great places.
My boyfriend and I have both tried the brekky there, it was fine for $15 but the coffee tasted a bit yuck and was very weak, even though we asked for strong.
The service is a little up and down. Sometimes we'll get a rude reception person, other times we'll get a very pleasant person at reception.
All in all, I love the place and would most definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The overall appearance is fine, but as I say a bit tired, however, having the kangaroos graze around the complex, each morning, was nice.
There were 4 of us in a 2 bedroom cabin. We found the main bedroom okay... the lounge, a sofa lounge was very tired and marked (dirty). The kitchen was adequate, small (one one person could work in there), implements provided were basic and the fridge freezer was in bad need of a defrost.
The 2nd bedroom (config as twin) had curtains hanging by 1 hook; the rod was broken off the brakcets and it was just left haning. I cannot imagine why maid-service did not fix it! Also, the bedside lamp shade was totally detatched from the lamp, again, diligent cleaning would have identified this problem. Neither the telephones (in the twin and main suite) worked... just as well we had our mobiles!
The main bathroom okay, however, the twin bathroom was dirty (inside the bathroom door near handle was grotty), spa jets looked horrible, tiles need a good clean. The toilet flusher was missing, so you had to push the piece of plastic protruding! Also, only 1 hand towel provided and we had to ask for a table/2chairs for our patio.
The general design of the bathrooms are bad, as there was not place to place your toiletries when you want to use them; except on the floor. So, not good! Also having to climb into/out of a spa, just to have a shower, I consider a danger.. there is one rail, however, I found it was where I tried to place by clothes, so not practical. I just feel, given that water is so precious, I cannot understand why the spas have not been removed. From my point of view, they are impractical and unhealthy.
Would I stay here again ... no I would prefer not to, as I am sure there is better cabin-type resorts at the same price in the Hunter Valley area

Room Tip: Ask for a apartment away from Broke Road, as it is rather noisy at night...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Gro05,

Thank you for your feedback, not what i wanted to hear but without feedback we cannot improve. I inspected the room you stayed in and have spoken to housekeeping about the issues raised and emphasised how important the “getting the details right” are We have introduced a new maintenance reporting system and I am confident this will improve the situations such as the curtain rod you experienced.
I wish you had reported the issues on arrival so we could have relocated you so that you were not inconvenienced and then you could have experienced our resort like many others had.
I hope that you can return in the future and we can show that our property is a truly great experience. Please contact me directly at the report so I can arrange a special package for you.

Regards
Wayne Brenton
Resort Manager
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were staying in the timeshare accommodation, in a 2 bedroom villa. The location can't be beaten - being on the corner of Broke and McDonalds Rds, literally means that it is in the heart of the wine tasting region.

The hotel reception has longer hours now than in did 2 years ago, which is the first improvement I noticed. The second was that the cafe was actually open, and by the noise coming from there when I checked in, quite successfully. However, we didn't eat there, as our villa had a kitchen and we used that most of the weekend.

The rooms are a good size, there is decent space between the villas and it is a serene setting. We watched the ducks in the evening, the horses in the morning and the birds could be heard at various times of the day.

There were 3 of us girls in the 2BDR, and we were very comfortable. Having 2 bathrooms (both with spa) was also good as there was no waiting in the morning.

We didn't use the pool or BBQ areas this trip, but I have in the past and we did notice that both were clean.

I would recommend this.

Room Tip: Choose a 2 bedroom apartment and take a group of friends - becomes very cost effective.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
#8 of 15 in Pokolbin
Pokolbin Village
Pokolbin Village
#5 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill? Share your experiences!