“Excellent apartment style hotel located in the best spot”

Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill
Sydney
“Excellent apartment style hotel located in the best spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed here again for the third time. The rooms are always clean, the bathroom has a corner spa bath excellent for relaxation.
We stayed in a one bedroom which has a spacious living room & bedroom, with everything from a fridge, microwave, ironing board, hair dryer. The grounds are very well kept, there's a tennis court & swimming pool.
The location is very central, within minutes drive to Hunter Valley Garden, a well known pub & a number of other wineries & restaurants

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Invilia,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor, a lot of hard work has been happening to ensure we offer the best value for money stay and that our guests enjoy themselves and the Resort, feedback both good and bad is the only way we can measure our work, we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

The place was nice and clean, the only draw back was the cost of using the wifi.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Firstly, I tried to book by telephoning and was told the best way to organise my stay was via email. A week later, I still had not received all the answers I required to book my stay. I still stayed. A twin share in a one bedroom costs 30.00 extra per night so if you are planning a friends stay be mindful of either sleeping close or paying extra. The spa in the 1 bedroom Appartments was dirty and the floor so slippery when wet its a bad situation waiting to happen. The Resturant was very quiet but the tables were still dirty. This property is overrated for the customer service is low, paint and presentation needs work and competition in the valley is plentiful.

Dear outhere_68

Firstly, thank you for the feed back, although not what I wanted to hear and I can assure you we always strive to do our best, I have spoken to housekeeping regarding the issues raised so that we can prevent a repeat and increase our training with the staff involved.
Our policy has always been “user pays” and as such there are significant costs incurred in twin rooms vs queen rooms and as such we pass on the minimum amount to the guest
In respect to the Restaurant could you please contact me at the resort so that I can obtain further details as to when you dined so I can address the issue with the staff concerned?. Also, I would like to ask about what areas you believe we need to improve our presentation in etc.

Best Regards

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

A dear friend of our's who lives in the beautiful Hunter Valley was having their last night running a very successful Karaoke business before heading off overseas for a ten day cruise. My partner and I decided to suprise our friend so we travelled from our home after booking our room on-line with Hotels.com.

We arrived at Leisure Inn Pokolbin at around 14:55hrs and went to the reception area to check-in. We were greeted by two happy, charming and very friendly ladies, Vicki and The Duty Manager (we didn't get her name)! The ladies impressed us from the start, engaging us immediately, big smiles on their faces and looking very smart.

Whilst checking in we decided to ask if it was possible to stay an extra night, originally we only planned on staying from the 08/02/2012 to the 09/02/2012 and we also new that Mr. Rod Stewart was performing at the beautiful Hope Estate on the 11/02/2012, so rooms would be scarce and quite pricey. The ladies checked the availability and informed us that our room was available for an extra night and told us the rate $514.00 and yes it was quite steep so my partner and I "ummmm'd and aaaaargh'd", did we need to? We were just going to say, "yes, we'll stay another night", when the Duty Manager looked up from her computer and said to Vicki, "give it to them for $170.00, they're nice boys". WOW, that was around 34% off the rate!!!

We couldn't thank the ladies enough, the Duty Manager (we wished we got her name) said that the Hotel allows the Staff to be flexible with rates and sometimes it all comes down to "Karma" and the guest initial treatment of staff, we couldn't agree more!

Well we got our check-in out of the way and drove down to our (1) one bedroom "Villa", on our way we couldn't help admire the beautiful bushland setting. On entering our Villa we noted it was a good size, great decor, modern, huge TV; YES! The bathroom was clean, mod and had a nice comfy (2) person spa, it had the soap, body wash and shampoo in dispensers on the shower and vanity. Kitchen was a good size, modern, clean stove and substantial utensils! The room was equipped with LG product's; TV, DVD. Free to air and subscribed channels were available!

I stayed up late on our first night and decided to email the Staywell Group CEO because we've always felt that staff are the frontline of any business and like all of us they will have "crappy" days, they'll have a sick child at home, perhaps problems with a relationship etc, but most still manage to wear that "smile" and unfortunately some guest don't really ever give that a thought. My partner and I expect to be treated as we would treat others! So we let the CEO, Mr. Simon Wan know about two of his very exceptional and valuable members of staff, we hope he acknowledges them as we recommended!

Summary: Modern hotel with one and two bedroom villa style rooms, clean, equipped, pool and tennis, DVD hire, Hunter Valley Gardens "just over the road", major and boutique wineries at your fingertips, food gourmet paradise with several notable restaurants close by, *including Leisure Inn Cafe, beautiful bushland setting, Australian wildlife!

TIP: Before staying be sure to gather some goodies from Woolies or Coles in Cessnock as the Pokolbin General Store charges like Tiffany's on Rodeo Drive!!!

1 Thank Rater1981
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We chose the Leisure Inn because of its location - within walking distance are - the Tempus Two winery (which does make very nice Sav Blanc), Oishee restaurant, Smelly Cheese Shop, McGuigan's winery, Hunter Valley gardens (admission $24) - its not a Hilton by any means but really you only spend a very small amount of time there as you are out and about exploring the wineries all day. The price was quite reasonable having used a Wotif deal - some of us had breakfast included which was a big country style - plenty of choices - eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns etc - served piping hot and dinner choices were very good - my husband says the bangers and mash were the best he ever had. We travelled as a group and interestingly all the people that booked through an agent or direct with the hotel got fresh towels every day - for us Wotif folks we didn't get fresh towels at all during our 3 night stay. When I enquired with the reception about this - I was told that it would have been in the fine print of the Wotif booking - personally I think that when staying in a hotel on holiday or business for that matter, there are 2 things you want - your bed made and fresh towels daily. You can get your room cleaned here but have to give 24 hours notice. Personally, I think that's all too hard. When you are on holiday you want to get away from day to day housekeeping tasks. Overall though I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my stay - meeting up with our friends outside Room 60 each afternoon to try the wine and cheese we gathered throughout the day and overlooking the lake and vineyard opposite. Also thoroughly enjoyed feeding the horses from the adjoining property some bread, feeding the ducks our left over toast from breakfast and enjoying all the kangaroos that came by daily.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake and vineyard on the hill - these are closest to the ducks and ka...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I didn't get a chance to stay, a reply I received in relation to an inquiry was extremely rude and I felt I was rudely put in my place by someone who felt they were above me and I was wasting their time with my inquiry.
Avoid! If staff are rude in email replies how rude are they to guests face to face.

Room Tip: Avoid completely, do not consider at all, but by all means go if you don't mind rude staff speak...
Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank J T
Dear J T,
I am very concerned in regards to this matter, I believe you emailed our property requesting a stay and to be allowed to bring your pet cat with you. I understand you received an email stating that “ Hi, I am sorry we are not a pet friendly resort. If pets are found in rooms guests are asked to vacate the property with no refund.”

I am sorry if you took offence to this email but it was not intended to offend, but unfortunately some guests even when advised they can’t bring pets do so and we have a very clear policy on this matter. It is unfortunate that emails are very impersonal and can often be interpreted the wrong way and I apologise if you misunderstood our reply

Best Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We chose the Leisure Inn because of it's central location, and were really happy we did.

Just across the road from Tempus Two and the 'Smelly Cheese' shop and a walk or short drive to lots of other places.

We had a 'Superior' 2 bedroom unit which was perfect for 5 of us as it had two really clean and tidy bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and the couch folded out into another double bed. Lounge areag not huge but didn't matter as we sat outside most of the time enjoying the view.

Our unit overlooked the ponds, and was really pretty as animals cruised around it mornign and night. Lovely view.

The pool was great a way to cool down as it was really hot when we were there!

Would absolutely stay here again if visiting the Hunter Valley.

Room Tip: The 'Superior' rooms have been recently redocorated and have the best view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JJTTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
#8 of 15 in Pokolbin
Pokolbin Village
Pokolbin Village
#5 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Leisure Inn Pokolbin Hill? Share your experiences!