“Outstanding”

Hermitage Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Pokolbin B&B and Inns
“Outstanding”
Reviewed December 4, 2008

I couldn't give this place any more praise if I tried.
Hermitage Lodge is situated smack bang in the middle of all the action in the Hunter Valley Wine Country.

We stayed in a Vineyard Studio room - modern and stylish decor, (unlike the overwhelmingly "country B&B" vibe that most other hunter valley accommodation seemed to have) and true to its name, our balcony had a gorgeous view of the Lodge's working vineyard.

The service was outstanding and the staff were always polite and cheerful, and often goes above and beyond what one would expect. On one occasion, after dining out at Brokenback Bar (which was also brilliant, by the way) we decided to head back to the Lodge's restaurant, Il Cacciatore, for some dessert. When we arrived, they had already closed and were counting the till (to be fair, it was about 10pm-ish), but instead of turning us away the manager invited us in and made us an elaborately presented bowl of gelato each for us to take back to our room.

I'd recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I was doing a driving trip all down the coast from Brisbane to Sydney. Looked for accommodation in Hunter Valley and found this amazing place.

When I arrived the 2 owners were there along with their son. They managed to build instant rapport, were really approachable, helpful and interested in their guests. The husband gave me some great tips on which wineries to visit and even suggested a few wines. His wife mentioned several companies who did wine tours (to save on the driving). Their son showed me to my room and explained the area to me in detail. I was really impressed with his knowledge, sincerity and communication skills beyond his years. In all this family were so pleasant I would have no hesitation to recommend anyone to stay here.

The room I had was a gorgeous clean bright modern 'studio' which had a lovely balcony overlooking the vineyard on the property. This room was very modern, very well positioned, spotlessly clean with fridge, dishes, glasses (of course), toaster, kettle. Coffee, tea, juice and cereals were all left nicely in a nice big unit in the room. There were also some interesting books on the hunter valley area for guests to peruse.

The 'Cacciatore' restaurant is also on site and serves delightful food. I had a really nice dinner there on my first night. I was eating alone which was a bit uncomfortable as the restaurant was very 'coupley' that night. The staff were really mindful of my needs and managed to balance an appropriate level of friendliness with great professionalism. The food was delicious and simple - as good food should be in my view.

My one regret is that I only stayed 2 nights - next time I would stay for a a week, secure in the knowledge that I would be in a beautiful, reasonably priced venue run really well by a family who care and staff who seem to like what they do.

I said it before above and again now - Just book this place, relax and unwind. Feel free to contact me about this or any other reviews I have on tripadvisor

• Liked — Setting, Rooms, People, Vineyards...... read the review
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank DaveyIRL
sydney
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Decided to check this place out upon the recommendation of the hunter valley tourist board. We were lucky enough to get a great studio room, even though we hadn't booked. Room was large, clean, had a lovely balcony which looked out over their vineyard. Also included was a continental breakfast (which was ok, nothing special, just nice to have something there to eat). The staff were very friendly and rushed over when I told them our neighbour's alarm clock was going off. Great experience, central to everything, and we'll definitely be back there again. Also, having a dvd player in the room is great, i think they even offer movies at the front desk, not sure if they were free or not (we brought our own). One tip though, in the winters, the bathroom floor is freezing, so make sure you bring flip flops.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blab175175
Reviewed February 10, 2008

Hermitage Lodge would have to be the cleanest room we have stayed in so far in our travels. We had Il Cacciatore room service for dinner and must say that it was the best Italian we've had in a while and no extra surcharge. Continental Breakfast was included in the room tariff with coffee, juice, cereal and english muffins. We wanted toast instead of muffins and the staff were more than helpful in giving us some. If you stay here, go to Peterson House for Champange & Chocolate, Blue Tounge Brewery for beer and for cheese the Hunter Valley Cheese Co. Owners very friendly, highly recommend.

• Liked — Great Food & Great Service
  • Disliked — Common Outside Areas Lack Privacy e.g. Verandah/Balconies
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CharlieSydney
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Booked into the Hermitage Lodge after viewing their relatively well designed website. The pictures on the site depicted a picturesque hideaway in the Hunter Valley and the review I read here supported that view. However, whilst I can say the stay was adequate, the Hermitage Lodge failed to inspire or even live up to it's website.

On the plus side, having stayed in one of the Vineyard Studios, the room was large, air-conditioned and with a nice back balcony. The bed was large and comfortable and the mini-bar reasonably priced. The restaurant is quite good and the main was particularly lovely, despite a relatively limited dessert and wine menu.

On the down side, the quilt on one of our beds was dirty, the room had a peculiar damp smell which persisted throughout the duration of our stay and the housekeeping service was less than prompt. In fact, one of the days during our stay, our room was not even made up, despite our being out sightseeing all day. Irritatingly, the staff did not apologise for either problem, instead raising their eyebrows upon our complaint. Another problem is the relatively thin walls, which unfortunately for us, allowed the noise of a young family who insisted in jumping up and down on the adjoining balcony and running up and down in the room next door, seeped through.

Overall, the location whilst being central, is scrubby and not particularly pretty in comparison to many other accomodation points around the Hunter and whilst we were mostly comfortable for our stay, it was not exceptional and with the cons listed above, relatively disappointing. If you are looking for a standard mediocre location for your stay, the Hermitage Lodge will afford you this opportunity.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank thewhitephantom
Reviewed November 13, 2007

A lovely place! We stayed in the Vineyard Studio which was very nice (sleek and modern). Would have preferred one with a spa bath but they were all booked out :( But the room had a fantastic view over the lodge's little vineyard (and you can buy the wine it produces!) Owners very friendly and gave us lots of advice about where to go in the Hunter.

Il Caccitore was delicious - a little pricey but great value for the quality of the food. I had riccotta and spinach gnocci which was unusual and lovely and my boyfriend had the pork medallions which he described as possibly the best he'd ever eaten. Tiramisu was divine and there's a great wine list too.

Had two very positive reviews in the Herald, and we found HL to be of the same standard when we visited. I'd recommend Hermitage Lodge to anyone!

• Liked — Lovely room and restaurant. Great escape!
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank sydney_beach_gal
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Fabulous! Lovely room with little balcony, friendly owners and a FANTASTIC italian restaurant onsite. Would definitely recommend this gorgeous little boutique hotel. Only complaint: continential breakfast was certainly adequate but would have like a fresh criossant rather than the refrigerated english muffin. But this was far outweighed by the fantastic dinner we had at Il Caccitore - thanks guys :)

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank modern_gipsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Spicers Vineyards Estate
Spicers Vineyards Estate
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
Carriages Boutique Hotel & Vineyard

Been to Hermitage Lodge? Share your experiences!